US Airways questions

What this means is that by their contract of carriage they only guarantee to get to the destination...but no guarantee of time. So, if they have flight cancellation the legacy carriers have the ability to move you to another airline to get you there. Southwest does not do this. Not worth saving a dollar or two for that problem. Just watch a few episodes of "Airline" for some disaster stories of that policy.

Are you sure about that? Delta cancelled our flight during the Valentines snow storm (Tuesday) then wouldn't send us on a flight until Saturday, even though other flights were leaving. Missed our trip.

Oh, no! We are connecting in Philly from Upstate NY. And we arrive at MCO at 10:32am on the morning of our trip (booked through DCL). Will we "miss the boat"??? I'm not kidding. I am actually worried about that, but DH and DS cannot leave the night before due to schedules. AAAGGGHHH!!!

I fly USAirways quite extensively. I've had issues on most airlines I've flown - but I do think that the service on USAirways has improved greatly over the past 2 years. Yes - they have issues with baggage in Philadelphia - yes - they have labor issues - but which airline out there doesn't. Look at the media darling JetBlue - and what has happened to it....

I connect at least once a month through Philly - and will be connecting via Philly to Barcelona this summer....

Make sure that the agent knows you are going on a cruise - and are flying same day. You can probably ask nicely for them to put the priority tag on your luggage......

Virgil
pirate:

Thank you for the wide range of opinions--based on the majority, although flying out of Denver, I don't think we will use this airline. I don't want stuck with an airline that does not have 100% customer satisfaction. I will hold on and keep waiting and looking.:surfweb:

We are flying out of Denver too. The other day my wife brought the USAir fare to my attention. Looking closer at it, the non-stop is actually a TED flight. I can't imagine that the fares won't come down at least a little for United and Frontier.

Are you sure about that? Delta cancelled our flight during the Valentines snow storm (Tuesday) then wouldn't send us on a flight until Saturday, even though other flights were leaving. Missed our trip.

Absolutely positive. If you had storms, more than likely the other airlines were completely booked and there simply was not a seat to put you on. However, with a legacy carrier, it is at least an option! With SW, no chance in youknowwhere.

Finally, no company anywhere has "100% customer satisfaction". And sometime you should really read all the details of SW's high scores that factor into their constant high score (EXAMPLE: One of the ratings is food...SW gets the highest marks....um.....they don't serve food on any route other than peanuts...)

So far, everytime I have priced flights the cost between SW and AA (the other big player here in Dallas) is just a few dollars....however on AA I get to fly direct out of the major airport. On SW you have to go to the far out of the way Love Field, connect somewhere...ugh. Not worth it at all. When I was booking to New York City last time I would have had to go from DAL to HOU to some other east coast city to Long Island...then a train to the city. OR>>>> for $7 more I could fly from DFW to LGA. This is the story all the time. SW has fooled the entire country into believing they are the cheapest. Do yourself a favor and shop around.

Absolutely positive. If you had storms, more than likely the other airlines were completely booked and there simply was not a seat to put you on. However, with a legacy carrier, it is at least an option! With SW, no chance in youknowwhere.

Finally, no company anywhere has "100% customer satisfaction". And sometime you should really read all the details of SW's high scores that factor into their constant high score (EXAMPLE: One of the ratings is food...SW gets the highest marks....um.....they don't serve food on any route other than peanuts...)

So far, everytime I have priced flights the cost between SW and AA (the other big player here in Dallas) is just a few dollars....however on AA I get to fly direct out of the major airport. On SW you have to go to the far out of the way Love Field, connect somewhere...ugh. Not worth it at all. When I was booking to New York City last time I would have had to go from DAL to HOU to some other east coast city to Long Island...then a train to the city. OR>>>> for $7 more I could fly from DFW to LGA. This is the story all the time. SW has fooled the entire country into believing they are the cheapest. Do yourself a favor and shop around.

In your case, the extra $7 IS worth it...i totally agree. However, your "for instance" is not always -everyone elses'- "for instance"....your advice to the OP to "shop around" is excellent, however, they did ask for opinions and i gave mine :) (personally, i'd fly SW over USAir anyway....the service, nonstop times and rates are just always better...BUT, i fly out of Philly, you don't....which makes a good thread....different cities, different experiences....) The OP does need to shop around.... ;) (they just wanted opinions of everyone's experiences w/ USAir....and they got plenty! :thumbsup2

We just flew USair through Philly to San Francisco this past week and a word of warning on the food. If the flight is "Food for purchase", unless you are in the top 1/3 of the plane, don't chance it. Stop at one of the food courts and buy a sandwich, drink, etc. They ran out of the Chicken Ceasar sandwich leaving only the "Fun pack" which wasn't very good or the cheese plate which WAS very good. Also, the sandwich is quite good but I won't depend on getting one.

I have to say, the sandwiches we bought at the airport were delicious. We did have to go to two different places looking for something for all four of us but I had a fabulous tuna salad/with capers on focacia bread.:banana:

The small difference you pay is BECAUSE SW is there. Without a low cost carrier available AA would be charging more. Twice our regional airport had lowcost alternatives to MCO and the price for Delta and USair went down. The charters failed (thankfully I was one of the last flights out on the first and wasn't stuck) and I never got to try Hooter's, greatly disappointing the DH. :rolleyes: Once the low cost carriers left - what do you think happened? Prices went up dramatically.

So yes you DO need to shop around but I rarely find driving to Philly worth the price difference and I buy my tickets much farther out than SW's reservations systems allows. My sister however is a HUGE fan of SW's and she flys out of Philly because her in-laws live there and it is very convienent to do so. I love my regional airport, a two minute walk from the covered garage, drop off is just outside the door, never a line, quick baggage retrieval, brand new facilities. Much much easier than any big airport even MCO which is my favorite.

I still stand by the fact that you can watch one episode of AIRLINE to see how horrid SW's policies are. They have ruined the entire industry and still to this day play the "we are poor little southwest just trying to give discount travel" speech. The facts are that their hedged fuel is what is keeping their prices down FOR THE MOMENT...you surely have seen how they have been raising fares slowly but surely over the last few months, do a google search if you havent....however, that fuel is running out. They will be paying what everyone else is at the moment and you will be paying for it. We all will be paying for it as they force the rest of the industry to bankruptcy with their bully tactics. And when the rest of travel options are gone...we will be left with Southwest who can do whatever they want. Just call them Wal-Mart Airlines. I could not sleep on my cruise if I had given them any business. At least I know that the era of the golden child is coming to an end as people catch on to their game.

Whew....I feel better now.

We use US Airways whenever we fly to Florida which is several times a year. My husband flies twice a month for work. He also uses US Air. Flying out of Philadelphia stinks. You will sit on the runway for 45-60 minutes past take off. They are always backed up and waiting in line to take off. They have misplaced our luggage several times. Service on the plane is okay but nothing to rave about. We use this airline because we have 7 children and its the cheapest for us. We also rarely get seating together. Usually they break us up in twos and we sit in different spots all over the plane.

I still stand by the fact that you can watch one episode of AIRLINE to see how horrid SW's policies are. They have ruined the entire industry and still to this day play the "we are poor little southwest just trying to give discount travel" speech. The facts are that their hedged fuel is what is keeping their prices down FOR THE MOMENT...you surely have seen how they have been raising fares slowly but surely over the last few months, do a google search if you havent....however, that fuel is running out. They will be paying what everyone else is at the moment and you will be paying for it. We all will be paying for it as they force the rest of the industry to bankruptcy with their bully tactics. And when the rest of travel options are gone...we will be left with Southwest who can do whatever they want. Just call them Wal-Mart Airlines. I could not sleep on my cruise if I had given them any business. At least I know that the era of the golden child is coming to an end as people catch on to their game.

I am glad you feel better now.:banana:

Anyway why does Southwest have all this hedged fuel and none of the other airlines have any? Were they just smarter, just lucky, or a combination of the 2. Or possibly none of the above.:confused3

Bill

I am not familiar with US Airways, really we have only flown Frontier. US Airways has the best airfares for December right now, Have you ever flown US Airways and what was your experience with the service and the craft itself.

I am a Platinum Dividend Miles member of US Airways. I have been flying with them for 7 years or so (Stared with America West). Ever since the merger with America West it is obvious to me when I get a legacy America West (AW) employee Vs a legacy US Airways employee. The AW employee is usually more friendly and helpful. The legacy US Airways employee is usually a bit course and acts almost like I am inconveniencing them to dotheir job. This is not the case with all, but most.

With that being said I still fly with them alot. I will however try and fly American Airlines when I travel from the West Coast to the East Coast. I use miles to upgrade to First Class and having a full service First Class is very different from what US Airways has for First Class.

Overal, good airline though.

Can you enlighten all of us about these "horrid SW policies?"
Do you mean the one where I can change my flight online anytime prior to takeoff for FREE?
or is it the policy that allows me to rebook if I see that the price has dropped and either give me a refund to my credit card or, if I've changed flight times/dates, a credit that can be used online over the next 18 months?
Yeah, that's cruel alright...
I've flown SW for 4 vacations in the past 12 months (3x to MCO and once to Buffalo/Niagara Falls) and every time the price started high, say $110 each way, and ended up at $49 each way. (We even had $39 PHL-MCO Ding in Sept. but had to change dates due to dh's work schedule so we had to settle for $49 again.) Every flight was on time. Our luggage arrived with us. All employees were courteous and even fun at times. (Disney trivia at the gate in PHL last Sept. Winners got free drinks on flight! I won for knowing Lumiere's name! :woohoo: )
As for no food on SW.... USAirways charges something like $10, that's $40 for the 4 of us, for a boxed meal that my kids probably wouldn't eat anyway. For a 2 hr. flight to MCO we make sure we eat right before we leave home or pack a PB &J to eat on the plane or grab a slice of pizza near the gate in MCO, still cheaper than $40.
As for being inconvenient and having stop overs... There's plenty of non-stops here in the Northeast to many FL cities, Vegas, LA... Maybe they should change their name to Northeast. LOL!
Perhaps I have ultra low standards, but as long as they get us and our luggage safely to our destination on time or within reason, I'm pretty satisfied. SW appeals to a lot of Disers because if we can fly cheap, we can get another WDW fix that much sooner. We're not looking for spa treatments, fancy wine or butts kissed. Just get us there safely with luggage. Hence the high satisfaction ratings.

That's a good way to keep your job.:confused3
You are angry at management for pay cuts etc so you screw up peoples luggage.

People go to different airlines and you get laid off. Doesn't make sense to me.
If you mission is to get the company to lose business which in turn leads to you losing your job, just quit and find another job.

Bill
Yes, Bill ITA!:sad2:

Can you enlighten all of us about these "horrid SW policies?"
Do you mean the one where I can change my flight online anytime prior to takeoff for FREE?
or is it the policy that allows me to rebook if I see that the price has dropped and either give me a refund to my credit card or, if I've changed flight times/dates, a credit that can be used online over the next 18 months?
Yeah, that's cruel alright...
I've flown SW for 4 vacations in the past 12 months (3x to MCO and once to Buffalo/Niagara Falls) and every time the price started high, say $110 each way, and ended up at $49 each way. (We even had $39 PHL-MCO Ding in Sept. but had to change dates due to dh's work schedule so we had to settle for $49 again.) Every flight was on time. Our luggage arrived with us. All employees were courteous and even fun at times. (Disney trivia at the gate in PHL last Sept. Winners got free drinks on flight! I won for knowing Lumiere's name! :woohoo: )
As for no food on SW.... USAirways charges something like $10, that's $40 for the 4 of us, for a boxed meal that my kids probably wouldn't eat anyway. For a 2 hr. flight to MCO we make sure we eat right before we leave home or pack a PB &J to eat on the plane or grab a slice of pizza near the gate in MCO, still cheaper than $40.
As for being inconvenient and having stop overs... There's plenty of non-stops here in the Northeast to many FL cities, Vegas, LA... Maybe they should change their name to Northeast. LOL!
Perhaps I have ultra low standards, but as long as they get us and our luggage safely to our destination on time or within reason, I'm pretty satisfied. SW appeals to a lot of Disers because if we can fly cheap, we can get another WDW fix that much sooner. We're not looking for spa treatments, fancy wine or butts kissed. Just get us there safely with luggage. Hence the high satisfaction ratings.

Lets see where to begin with their policies...from making someone they arbitrarily decide is too big to purchase two seats...no protection when they screw up...to the grandest of all, how they broke their promise at their home base of DAL. Thereby creating the Wright Amendment that ALLOWED them to grow totally protected from competition, then bullying the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth to amend it again breaking their deal. Then the hidden deals of charging almost nothing for landing fees, finding out the taxpayers of Dallas county have been subsidising their bottom line (forget new police officers, lets make sure we have SW). They are a corrupt organization that has fooled the traveling public. You can find fares just as cheap on any legacy carrier. Their policy of forcing old antiquated airports to expand in areas that should not be (DAL, MID) is a safety issue (they have already killed one kid in Chicago...nearly drove a plane into a gas station in California) Its a matter of time until it all comes out. I cant wait to watch them fall from grace.

Lets see where to begin with their policies...from making someone they arbitrarily decide is too big to purchase two seats...no protection when they screw up...to the grandest of all, how they broke their promise at their home base of DAL. Thereby creating the Wright Amendment that ALLOWED them to grow totally protected from competition, then bullying the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth to amend it again breaking their deal. Then the hidden deals of charging almost nothing for landing fees, finding out the taxpayers of Dallas county have been subsidising their bottom line (forget new police officers, lets make sure we have SW). They are a corrupt organization that has fooled the traveling public. You can find fares just as cheap on any legacy carrier. Their policy of forcing old antiquated airports to expand in areas that should not be (DAL, MID) is a safety issue (they have already killed one kid in Chicago...nearly drove a plane into a gas station in California) Its a matter of time until it all comes out. I cant wait to watch them fall from grace.

aahhhh....now i understand your hostility toward SW..... :rolleyes:

(just realized you're a Texan)

aahhhh....now i understand your hostility toward SW..... :rolleyes:

(just realized you're a Texan)

Yeah, once the majority of the post was about Dallas and the Love Field situation, I looked to see the poster's location also. Guess it's a competitor's employee at DFW.

Horrid policies? Hardly. They're not always the least expensive. Checked out the PHL to MCO flights for September and USAir came in cheaper. That along with the ability to check luggage at Port Canaveral with USAir tipped us their way this time. Hoping to get our luggage back in Philly within an hour of gettng to the bagge claim area though....

I am glad you feel better now.:banana:

Anyway why does Southwest have all this hedged fuel and none of the other airlines have any? Were they just smarter, just lucky, or a combination of the 2. Or possibly none of the above.:confused3

Bill

A combination. They bought in big time way back when and it paid off for them HUGE. Nobody expected the giant leap in gas prices......

That fuel is running out though, and soon they will pay the same high price for fuel as well.

From USA Today:

While it's difficult for any airline to be profitable at $60-a-barrel costs and today's low fares, one airline has been largely unaffected. Southwest is the one consistently profitable major airline because its management was smart enough to buy 85% of the fuel required for this year's operations when oil was around $26 a barrel. The other six major airlines are now at the mercy of the market that isn't likely to get relief any time soon.

"Hedging," or buying a commodity now that you plan to use later, is a technique many businesses use to keep costs down. Southwest has buckets of cash and it locked into hedging contracts a few years ago when oil was substantially less expensive.

Hedging is a gamble; a hedged airline could pay more for fuel if prices drop, but I think Southwest is safe as the possibility of oil prices dropping below $40 or $50 a barrel is highly unlikely.

So how long can Southwest enjoy 2003 oil prices? The airline is locked in at $32 a barrel for 65% of its fuel needs in 2006, $31 a barrel for 45% of its needs in 2007, $33 a barrel for 30% of it needs in 2008, and 25% of its fuel needs at $35 a barrel in 2009. So basically, it has a few years left to enjoy that wise decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter