US AIR is trying to ruin my WDW Vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a claim about poor treatment after paying full price for tickets, yet in another spot it's revealed that twelve round-trip tickets from PHX to MCO cost something like $2,735 and change - which averages out to about $233 per person r/t. That's CHEAP, especially considering the distance.
Actually, it was 6 tickets for her own family. And ... the reason why she spent so much on them was NOT because she wanted to book a non-stop flight as she claims. It was because the flight was almost full! Prices go up for flights as they fill up. Basic supply and demand. BTW, I looked 8 months in the future and as the OP suggested in her 2nd blog and the non-stops are CHEAPER than the connecting flights right now. Probably because they don't have to pay airport fees at the connection hubs.

Honestly, I don't know what the OP hopes to get out of USAirways at this time. There is obviously not enough room on the later non-stop or she would have been placed on that flight. Does she expect them to open up a new flight just for her family? I know ... she must be expecting a refund from the loss of family time at WDW due to the butt-crack-of-dawn flight that she selected herself!

Honestly, I don't know what the OP hopes to get out of USAirways at this time. There is obviously not enough room on the later non-stop or she would have been placed on that flight. Does she expect them to open up a new flight just for her family? I know ... she must be expecting a refund from the loss of family time at WDW due to the butt-crack-of-dawn flight that she selected herself!

She suggested US Air cancel the reservations of enough passengers on the later N/S to accomodate her family.

It's pretty arrogant to think that someone else's flight should get cancelled when they may also have planned long in advance, instead of waiting for the flight to fill up.

So who is trying to ruin the vacation of others?

And because of the attention my post has received, I fully expect this situation to be resolved to my satisfaction in the end.

LMAO. Just for entertainment value, why don't you post your correspondence with USAirways, in which you direct "the people who can" help you to a thread on the disboards, in which you shamelessly promote your sucky blog (no I didn't click through, didn't want to give you the traffic). :laughing:

I can't get past the fact you paid almost $3,000 for 6 round trip tickets! :scared1:

The cheapskate in me would never pay close to that! ;)

Fly Southwest(my favorite) or another "bargain" airline. You'd have more spending money to lessen the "blow" if a similar scenario played out.

She suggested US Air cancel the reservations of enough passengers on the later N/S to accomodate her family.
You are kidding me :lmao:?!? *sigh* I see it now. I missed it the first time ... I admit I skimmed the blog because I found it hard to read on multiple levels. Well, if that's what Tracy really wants she can hold her breath until she is blue in the face but that isn't going to happen.

The OP hasn't shared her originating airport, posters seem to think it's PHX. She hasn't shared her exact dates, her tag line says 11/09.

Reasonable flight times may be increasingly hard to book if she's going thanksgiving week.

One option would have been to extend her trip by one day, stay at a MCO airport area hotel for the extra night. Take the early flight the next morning. Another option would have been to try to put some of her family members on the N/S flight and hope to be able to move the rest of them if/when space opens up. A third option would have been to try to obtain a refund and book with another airline.

Changing to a N/S flight, but at the crack of dawn, isn't the option I would have asked for. Connecting flights are very common. Families take them all the time. Many people overstate issues with them. I would have preferred better flight times over a 7:30a departure from MCO but the OP is entitled to have a different preference.

edited to add Tracy indicates she'd save $900, get a N/S flight with good flight times if she can get a refund with US Air and books with Southwest. I have no idea why she didn't do just that. I have no idea if SW has 12 tickets available in that "fare bucket" but the longer she waits the less likely she'll get the flights/fares she wants with SW.

I must be a really laid back flyer. We are a family of 4 and have been flying with the DD's since they were very small.

When planning a vacation I never count the days of travel as part of my vacation. The vacation starts when you get to the resort!!

We have had flights cancelled, been bumped, given up our seats.....man have even had snowstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes deviate our plans:rotfl:

The airlines have always done a great job getting us on a flight. Even when weather has been the enemy.

Connecting flights is a part of life these days when flying and if this is what it takes to keep prices lower then that is okay by me. There has been more than one time when we have been sprinting from one end of the Atlanta airport to the other:rotfl2:
It is all part of the adventure. DH travels for work alot and it is the attitude he takes now as well. There is no point in getting an ulcer over something so small.

As long as everybody gets there and back safe and sound than it is has been a successful journey.

When airlines change flights/cancel flights and want to rebook you to another flight as part of their contract to you you can get a 100% refund if their options don't work for you... This may not be so with *every* airline but from my experience the majority of airlines it is. For the most part I just take a new flight but the odd time because of meetings etc I just can't take the times they are offering so I get my refund and rebook elsewhere. I actually did that for my February trip to the world.

I always suggest booking with a TA or direct with an airline... Orbitz, Expedia etc don't always give the cheapest option and it's really hard to make changes/deal with issues like this.

Take it as a lesson learned and don't let it ruin your vacation.

Interesting to read some of the comments, emails and PM's I've received.

I've actually posted an update to my original blog post here... http://www.the3dstudio.com/blog_detail.aspx?id=718.

:lovestruc

I am sorry but your blog is very very hard to read with all the colours, font size changes etc. I had to give up part way through. I hope though you resolved the problem in the updated blog?

See - right there is the attitude of just laying down and taking it that I'm talking about in my 2nd blog post. How does it get to that?

Of course it will be resolved. I have no doubt about that. It's already starting to happen as I type this. You should really see more value in yourself as a powerful consumer than you apparently do.

Just because changes were accepted, does not mean more changes can be made. You're just playing into their hands with thinking like that! Stand up for yourself! It's the only way anything is ever going to change for the better!

If you are resolving the issues -- are you just trying to get attention to yourself? I don't get it... :confused3

I am however singing Rolling Stones for some reason from reading something a bit earlier :rotfl:

sound like you are just over here to promote your blog site and call all of us names like 'lazy sheep' for following the rules and terms we agree to when purchasing air tickets..........

you don't seem to grasp that they will not kick off other people and ruin other peoples vacations. you are being very unreasonable and they probably laugh at you when you suggested that to them!!

Wow.

I actually toughed it out and read the OP's less-than-coherent blog, then tried to provide some helpful advice without being judgmental or critical. Given her attitude in subsequent posts, I'm almost sorry I took the time.

When airlines change flights/cancel flights and want to rebook you to another flight as part of their contract to you you can get a 100% refund if their options don't work for you... This may not be so with *every* airline but from my experience the majority of airlines it is.

I am not aware of any airline that requires the option of a refund based on the contract of carriage, that said almost all will for a major schedule change as a courtesy to the customer.

Contract of Carriage rules and general policy are two different things, and although I think its important to understand what airlines general policies are, I think its also important to understand what they are obligated to provide because at any time the can change the general policy and fall back on the contract of carriage.

Interesting to read some of the comments, emails and PM's I've received.

I've actually posted an update to my original blog post here... http://www.the3dstudio.com/blog_detail.aspx?id=718.

My original intention in posting was a combo between wanting to warn people that are thinking of flying US Air (never had a problem on any other airline over many, many flights) and more of an attention getter to the people who can help me.

Because it was meant to be an attention getter, I used a post title like the one you see here. Do I really think the powers that be at US Air are sitting around and trying to ruin my vacation? Get a grip, people. It's sarcasm and attention getting. See how well it worked here, although there are a few that had a little trouble with the sarcasm. And because of the attention my post has received, I fully expect this situation to be resolved to my satisfaction in the end. As I am a reasonable person, I usually get what I want. :thumbsup2

I sure hope many of you have a Disney Vacation planned in the near future - it sounds like many of you are due for a healthy dose of Pixie Dust and Magic! :lovestruc
Here's the thing....you agreed to a particular contract of carriage. Not only that but you used a third party..Orbitz. So, rather than dealing directly with USAirways, you have a third party added into the fray. You 'agreed' to a ticket (actually 6) that would get you from point A to point B on a given day. That's what you got...no, it isn't what you wanted, they changed that on you. But, they are perfectly within their rights to do that. You paid for a ride to your destination on that day...that's all. If you didn't read the fine print, in the CoC, then you are at fault, not the airline. Almost every single airline I have flown has changed, or cancelled, a flight I've booked. SW is the only one that hasn't. But, after flying them last Dec, I have my own issues with them.

I booked a flight with Delta several years ago..perfect flight for me. But, they canceled that flight, as well as the late morning flight and put us all on one flight..funny considering that the two cancelled flights were both 2/3 full..you do the math.
I called to make changes, they put me on a flight I originally wanted but didn't get simply because it was too expensive. But, I ended up on that flight, for the same money that I paid for my cancelled flight. It does work out for you in some cases.

You have to realize that the people on this particular board are very conversant in air travel. They all realize that the airlines can, and do, make changes all the time. They understand what their options are. They also realize that by calling and harrassing people, at the airline, their needs are not going to be met. I understand that you have said that you are working on getting 'what you want'..hope it all works out for you. But realize this....the sarcasm and insulting tone that you have taken with others on this board will not be tolerated. We are not 'sheep', we are not 'taking the bad customer service'...we know what the rules are and we plan accordingly.
There are some here who really, really know what they are talking about...even some 'higher ups' in the airline industry.
So, while you may not like the answers you get, you are going to have to be civil in your responses.
But, that's not going to be an issue now....I'm closing down this thread. Nothing new to be learned here. Hopefully, those reading here, and not all that knowledgable about the workings of the airlines, will learn something from your 'mistakes'.
Hope your vacation is everything you hope it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter