• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Urgent passport info!!!

Mickey89

Earning My Ears
Hi all, i'm currently worried so i'm hoping someone can calm me down! I'm travelling to the World in just over 4 and a half weeks (September 10th) but i've yet to apply for my adult passport. I'm 20 and have a 5 year passport that expires in november but have only recently realised that you must have at least 3 months validity.

So, i'm going to the post office tomorrow morning to do the check and send service and apparently this should take about 2 weeks. But is this pushing it in august? is there an alternative that would get me the passport quicker? I feel like an absolute idiot for leaving it so late and am so worried now. Is this all i can do, send it off and hope it gets back in time?

I am sure your passport will be here in plenty of time 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm, my grandson got his in under 2 weeks and that was in July. Hope you have a great time:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

thank you very much. I just saw that you can pay £97 for the one-week service but hopefully the check and send will be alright

Hi all, i'm currently worried so i'm hoping someone can calm me down! I'm travelling to the World in just over 4 and a half weeks (September 10th) but i've yet to apply for my adult passport. I'm 20 and have a 5 year passport that expires in november but have only recently realised that you must have at least 3 months validity.

So, i'm going to the post office tomorrow morning to do the check and send service and apparently this should take about 2 weeks. But is this pushing it in august? is there an alternative that would get me the passport quicker? I feel like an absolute idiot for leaving it so late and am so worried now. Is this all i can do, send it off and hope it gets back in time?
I'm here to ease your mind! My DGF sent hers off about 3 weeks ago now and received it after 15 days, so it should be fine. I think there's a service where it arrives quicker, but I'm pretty sure it's about £100+, so it depends what you'd be willing to spend :laughing: Just double check at the PO tomorrow, but I think you should be fine sending it tomorrow - good luck :thumbsup2

Pretty sure last year when I renewed my passport I got it back in about 10 days! I was quite shocked as thought it'd take weeks!

When I renewed mine the last time it took well over a month! I'd maybe just be safe and go for the one week option, YOU NEVER KNOW...

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if it was my own decision that meant I couldn't travel.

i did mine about 3 weeks ago and it came back just in the 2 weeks that the post office say and I did the check and send service, mine was only a nema change though instead of a whole renew so not sure if that makes a difference

They are always very busy at this time of year:eek: You should send it off A.S.A.P and by Registered Post to make sure it gets there. You may still be put in a long queue unless you have done everything correctly when filling out the form and put you photos (signed by someone who knows you well and made the declaration) with your form with a paper clip. Here's hoping your renewal is speedily dealt with pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I did check & send at the Post Office on Monday 27th July and my new passport arrived on Friday 7th August. The check and send is only £7 so well worth it I think. Mine is a post-dated passport in my married name so I had to send some extra info with it.

I was investigating the options before I applied as I wanted it ASAP but the rules are very strict on who can do the one day and one week services as they actually tell you to send it off and then if there is a problem to switch to a premium service.

Good Luck!
:flower3:

my husband needed his asap for work last month, his work paid thankfully, he had to phoen for an app at the glasgow office be there for no more than 10 mins before he had to take in no bags he said it was worse than airport secrity and he wasnt allowed to have anyone go with him, he went through his paperwork and was given a time 4 hours later to collect his passport..

for this service £114

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i renewed my passport before our wedding because i only had 5 months left. then had to pay again to change the name on it.
found out later that the official rules are that your passport only needs to be valid til the date you are leaving the country.
check the embassy websites etc, but the 6 month "rule" is an advisory, not a solid rule?
again hopefully someone will correct me if this isnt right :)

I sent my sons passport off recently and it took three weeks with the check and send :thumbsup2

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i renewed my passport before our wedding because i only had 5 months left. then had to pay again to change the name on it.
found out later that the official rules are that your passport only needs to be valid til the date you are leaving the country.
check the embassy websites etc, but the 6 month "rule" is an advisory, not a solid rule?
again hopefully someone will correct me if this isnt right :)

Hi,
yes you're right! I looked into renewing my DDs' passports because they expire in October and we are going in 2 weeks. On the American Embassy website, it says it only has to be valid for the duration of the visit, so decided against renewing as they are 15, and by the next time they will need a passport, I will be able to get adult ones!
Wayneg also confirmed it for me, though I know some people feel happier renewing:)

Jules x

i think it depends who you fly with as some airlines advise you diffrent things it can be confusing.
I have travelled before with virgin on a childs passport(dd) that expired 13 weeks after we came home and was not questioned about it at all, not on person metioned it.

I recently applied for Izzys passport back in may, and it came in 9 days!

I sent my passport renewal off on 30th July with the check and send service. Still waiting for it to come back, but hopefully it should be here by the end of the week! :) Will let you know when it does

FYI they will add up to nine months on your adult passport valid for ten years if it hasn't expired yet . For example mine was renewed in April 2004 but it expires January 2015 because my old one still had a year left to go they transferred the nine months over. They also did this for our DS we renewed it in January this year it expires October 2014 because he too had a few months left on his old passport, thank goodness we set new photos too he no longer looks like the old passport photo of himself.

i did mine about 3 weeks ago and it came back just in the 2 weeks that the post office say and I did the check and send service, mine was only a nema change though instead of a whole renew so not sure if that makes a difference

i am getting married and changing my name
what do i do to get my passport changed to my married name?

i am getting married and changing my name
what do i do to get my passport changed to my married name?

In case you don't know, you don't have to get it changed straight away. As long as the name on the ticket matches the name in the passport it's okay. My mum traveled on her old passport (and old name) twice to US before finally getting a new one with her married name. However, that was her second marriage.

I guess someone getting marriage for the first time, cannot wait to change their name and start their new life as Mrs X. :cloud9:

We sent DS's off and it was back within 7 days, we were amazed! The only thing that delayed it was that we had to be in to sign for it and they would only take it to our home address not our business (don't know if that's still the same now) so we had to make sure that we were home one day for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter