URGENT! I'm Leaving in 15 Hours, and LOST MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE!

dizenthusiast

Mouseketeer
Will I simply be denied boarding?

I do have an old passport; trouble is, it expired in 1998!!!

Does it help at all that I've done two Disney cruises in the past? Can they somehow "look up" the fact that I at least produced a valid BC those other two times, and somehow cut me some slack this time?

I'm just sick about this! There's really no time to order a new one in time for the trip. I guess I'll just keep tearing the house apart looking for it! :worried:

I really don't know how to answer your question. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope that you find those soon! Did you make copies of them? I would call DCL first thing in the morning and ask them! :wizard:

Many counties can process birth certificate requests on-the-spot, as long as you show up in person. Do you still live in/near where you were born?

If not, do you have a close relative (sibling, child, parent, etc.) that might be willing to go down to the county recorder this morning, pick up the birth certificate and FedEx it to you in Florida? Ususally you can order birth certificates for your immediate family with no questions asked. The shipping cost for same-day delivery is going to be exhorbitant (think $50-$100+), but if it prevents you from missing the ship, it may be worth it.

Just some ideas. Good luck. :)

Brian

Well, after several hours of ripping the house apart, I FINALLY FOUND IT!

I had already looked through this particular stack of papers twice, but I figured I might as well try one more time before ripping the basement apart, and voila, there it was, sort of stuck to the back of something else.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support! I was seriously wondering what it was going to be like watching the rest of my group get on the ship without me!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

dizenthusiast-I am so relieved for you! Jeez louise! You must really need a vacation now!

Bon Voyage!

Thank goodness.

If you need an emergency passport renewal, you can go to your local passport agency to do it (with an appointment). Other than that, expedited renewals take a couple weeks and regular ones take 4-6 weeks. I applied for my passport on 9/12/05 and just got it yesterday (9/22/05) and that was using expedited service.

Also, a US Citizen does *not* have a green card. The green card (I-551) is issued to permanent residents and conditional permanent residents only. Citizens would not have such a document and couldn't get one if they wanted one.

Local passport agencies are rare. There is one in Seattle and Chicago. Kansas City? There used to be one in New Orleans.....For me, its a trip to Chicago to get to a "local" passport agency.

I'm sure the first thing on your to-do list when you get back is to get a second copy of your birth certificate that you can file away!

Ok... I am going to hunt down ours just to make sure I dont have to make a post like this, next week.

Soooooooo happy for you that you found yours! WHEW!

I would say..don't wait, go to your local records office and get a BC now...they give it to you instantly.

This should be on the BEST TIPS SUMMARIZED......LOOK FOR YOUR PASSPORT/BIRTH CERTIFICATE AT LEAST 3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR TRIP....not the day before!!!!

Glad you found it because you most likely WOULD have been denied boarding if you did not have it.....This is passage about documention from the back of my DCL confirmation invoice....

DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL:
All guests (U.S. citizens and non U.S. citizens) must have valid government issued proof of citizenship in order to sail. Non-U.S. citizens may also be required to have valid passports and necessary visas. Those without proper documentation will be denied boarding. It is the Guests' responsibility to check with their travel agent, government agencies, embassies or consulates prior to their vacation to ensure that they have proper documentation. Be advised that certain U.S. non-immigrants have been required to register with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in order to depart the United States from Port Canaveral. Guests who may be affected should contact the local CBP office or visit the Special Registration website.

MJ

I'm so glad you found your BC!!! :cool1:

Yet another reason to have/get a valid passport, even if they are not going to be "required" for at least another year. I know I was scared to death about this type of stuff when we first cruised, so my DW and I had passports and BCs and copies of all of the above (as well as a copies of all mailed to a relative).

Have a great cruise!!!

:cool1: Doin' the Happy Dance for ya! :cool1: I can only imagine how relieved you must be. Have an awesome time!!! :)

As a former West Tennessean, I am happy for you. Tell us all about your cruise when you get back.

OP you just lived through one of my worst nightmares! I'm glad it worked out well. Bon voyage.

what does the birth certificate expired me? I did not think they expired? My DH's is pretty old.

sln88 said:
what does the birth certificate expired me? I did not think they expired? My DH's is pretty old.

Their passport was expired, not the birth certificate. Depending on which islands you are heading too, a expired passport might be acceptable as proof of citizenship (at least through 2006). Since the cruise line is checking on behalf of the countries, they could not waive the rules for anyone but they could let you know if the countries you are traveling to would allow the expired passport.

Glad this is a non-issue for you now, just thought I would post this possibility if this happened to someone else at the last minute. (I know the panic, I left home and forgot my passport. Luckily my sister was coming from somewhere else - near my mother who still had my birth certificate.)

I saw your post earlier today and thought OMG! I can't tell you how happy I was to see that you found it! Yippee!!! Now go have fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter