URGENT HELP NEEDED! Shirt BLEEDING through iron on!!!

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
:furious:

I have all of my iron ons printed out and cut (about 20 of them) and have just ironed the first one on. I am using a red sweatshirt and the design has a lot of white background. After less than 30 seconds (supposed to do 1min) of light ironing the red of the sweatshirt bled through the white of the design--it is all RUINED! I have 9 red shirts to make--WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? :confused:

I am using Avery dark transfers--that is all I could find.
I am NOT using steam on my iron.
I washed all the shirts without fabric softener.
I was following the package directions exactly

I am ready to :sad:

Anyone else experience this and how do I SOLVE IT???? I really wanted to get all these shirts done today--and I don't have the time or money to go and buy different shirts and/ or transfers!

HELP!

I dont have the help you're looking for, but I'm so very sorry this has happened. I'm sending a ton of pixy dust your way! princess:

Are you using the parchment paper? Are you constantly moving your iron or keeping in it one spot for a period of time? Try to keep it moving. Also, it could be too hot.

I know triplefigs has done red shirts, she normally posts at night so maybe she can give some advice for you.
:wizard:

After a few minutes of crying I picked myself up and searched the internet for about an hour trying to find information. I finally found a site that addressed the problem:

My iron was too hot--even though it was the temp recommended in the instructions. Because my shirts are 50/50 I needed to use a lower temp--sure wish the directions had mentioned that!

I was able to reheat the shirt that I did and peel the ruined iron on off. I put on another one and ironed at a lower temp and for less time. Everything seems to be good now. A tiny bit of bleed through on one other shirt, but I was able to save the one I thought was destroyed and finish all of them. They all look pretty good. :banana:

I am a little concerned that I don't have the ironed on enough, but I am going to let them sit overnight and check them tomorrow. I will reiron them if necessary.

lovetoscrap said:
After a few minutes of crying I picked myself up and searched the internet for about an hour trying to find information. I finally found a site that addressed the problem:

My iron was too hot--even though it was the temp recommended in the instructions. Because my shirts are 50/50 I needed to use a lower temp--sure wish the directions had mentioned that!

I was able to reheat the shirt that I did and peel the ruined iron on off. I put on another one and ironed at a lower temp and for less time. Everything seems to be good now. A tiny bit of bleed through on one other shirt, but I was able to save the one I thought was destroyed and finish all of them. They all look pretty good. :banana:

I am a little concerned that I don't have the ironed on enough, but I am going to let them sit overnight and check them tomorrow. I will reiron them if necessary.

So glad you were able to salvage the shirt and get the others done. Hope that they look good in the morning. Have fun on your trip.

itdjbw said:
I know triplefigs has done red shirts, she normally posts at night so maybe she can give some advice for you.
:wizard:

Yep, I'm here! I did red shirts and had the same problem on the Lumpy design (lots of white). I also was using dark transfers. I finally figured out I was ironing the design too long. So, I kept moving the iron, only did about 5 sec at a time, and quit at about half the time suggested. The designs look great and have washed several times with no problems. Hope this helps!

Just tried 1 sheet with 15 small designs of varying size to test out the Avery add ons on a dark satin, dark blue, throw away work shirt. I had bleed through and wrinkling (which looks as if it was formed from blistering heat like certain materials would when they hit a campfire). Used a Walmart model 169133 black iron, preheated, and on high. You're basically melting a thin layer of plastic into the fibers of a shirt. To make sure it will last I'm going to experiment more with my iron to get the right temp with the most adherence so it will last. The surface you use should be completely flat along with the pressure you apply. I used my Android stopwatch to time each decal. On high at 8 seconds almost exactly, for a small design (about 1 1/2" x 2") with even pressure I had good results but it's very touchy (easy bleed through within 2 sec). I'm going to experiment more with the iron. I may start posting to YouTube because I rely on it so much and.....well most people don't know it can be so useful and helpful. If they do know, they don't do anything about it most of the time (to help others). It is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Never read it but, I know what power it can hold when it's up to date. Especially when looking to gain knowledge about anything (even down the maker, model, and year).

My conclusion is use finesse while applying, know the right heat setting, and experiment on the same type of fabric which you will use it on. Oh, and always use P.H.E.O.C.

P.S. Deep thought. When I was a kid, a man playing a game in a video arcade asked me to take over his game because he was in a hurry. I was so happy. Years later, I purposefully put money into a game a kid was playing that looked to be very disappointed after he checked his pockets. I said "Oh shoot I have to leave, take over for me".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter