Upset with Disney photography

I sent another email on Monday and included a link to this thread as some posters suggested. Lo and behold, I got a voicemail that afternoon followed by an email about the voicemail. I now have a call scheduled on Monday. I will keep folks posted on how that goes.

I really, really hope things turn out well for you.

We got the link to our professional pictures from Disney, and let me just say, we are less than thrilled.

Our initial plan was to do an upgrade with Disney Photography. We are SO GLAD that we decided to hire Randy Chapman instead.

On our wedding day, we had issues with our DPS photographer. He sat down to take most pictures and barely moved. Our guest with cameras moved more than he did. When he did stand, he stood behind Randy. In our DPS pics, Randy is actually in several of the shots. Additionally, he commented to one of our guests that he loves working with Randy because then he doesn't have to do any work.

We understand that we hired an outside photographer, but we also paid for our DPS photographer as part of our package and had much higher expectations. We are having a difficult time actually choosing 20 pictures that we like enough to include in our album that is part of the package.

What a disappointment!

Here's the link:
http://www.collages.net/disneyweddings

Username: Morris / Kelchner Wedding
Password: 1971

In contrast to these pics, we couldn't be happier with our pics from Randy. Thank you to everyone on the DISboards who recommended getting an outside photographer and those who recommended Randy!

We have complained about the pictures to our planner and also in the survey that we were sent. We'll see what happens.

We are in exactly the same boat. Thank god we two had Randy - who did a fantastic job and we are spoilt for choice on pics to enlarge. I did expect disneys pics to be crap as Darren didn't really do much and half the time he had disappeared. My three year old took better shots. Most of ours were just pointless and we werent even looking in the right direction, quite a few he had chopped off our heads. I must say we have complained to disney to. Our early bird shoot with Amy and regina is totally different and they did a fantastic job. Our only comment was regina was in some of the shots which disney should of photoshopped her out - which they have appologised for and said that it should of being done automatically before we had seen the shots.

We really struggled to choose 20 for our album. Let us know how you get on with them.

We are in exactly the same boat. Thank god we two had Randy - who did a fantastic job and we are spoilt for choice on pics to enlarge. I did expect disneys pics to be crap as Darren didn't really do much and half the time he had disappeared. My three year old took better shots. Most of ours were just pointless and we werent even looking in the right direction, quite a few he had chopped off our heads. I must say we have complained to disney to. Our early bird shoot with Amy and regina is totally different and they did a fantastic job. Our only comment was regina was in some of the shots which disney should of photoshopped her out - which they have appologised for and said that it should of being done automatically before we had seen the shots.

We really struggled to choose 20 for our album. Let us know how you get on with them.

I am sad to hear you weren't happy with Daryn, maybe there are two? We had him and he was awesome! We didn't want to spend the extra money on an ourside photographer it just wasn't in our budget. Maybe that is why our DPS was better? I know that is no excuse but just a thought. Here was my review of him:

DPS, Daryn –

He is awesome, I haven’t heard of any other DIS Brides having him but we really enjoyed him. He was very personable and made us feel comfortable and he had us laughing the whole time. He told us how he only works for Disney part time and actually he and his family live in the Mid-West like us. I was a little concerned with a photographer being a distraction during the ceremony, but actually I didn’t notice him at all. I was excited when I saw how many good pictures he got of us because at the time I wasn’t sure he took any. I did have it in the back of my head to just relax and smile and don’t make any crazy faces that could end up on film. LOL Of course thinking back there are a few pictures I wish we would have taken, but all in all that isn’t his fault it is mine for not thinking though all the shots we needed. To be honest I was on cloud 9 just soaking it all up and did not feel any stress or anything so I missed a few little things along the way. =)

We didn't want to spend the extra money on an ourside photographer it just wasn't in our budget. Maybe that is why our DPS was better? I know that is no excuse but just a thought.

I think you might be on to something. Most complaints I've seen regarding Disney photography have been brides who have used outside photography as well as Disney. I wonder if their noses get a little out of joint about it and they just slack off because you have someone else doing pics why should they try as hard? Guaranteed they're not getting paid as well as an outside photographer is once Disney takes their cut so why should they work as hard if they don't have to?

Just a thought.

If that is the case, it is very unprofessional of them!!! Disney needs to stamp on it if they think this is what is happening!! After all, those brides who have hired outside photographers, are still paying as much for their Escape package as the brides who do not!! Maybe if DPS were consistently excellent (like the majority of outside photographers), then less people would hire outside help. Disney have no one to blame but themselves for brides seeking other photographers!!

I think you might be on to something. Most complaints I've seen regarding Disney photography have been brides who have used outside photography as well as Disney. I wonder if their noses get a little out of joint about it and they just slack off because you have someone else doing pics why should they try as hard? Guaranteed they're not getting paid as well as an outside photographer is once Disney takes their cut so why should they work as hard if they don't have to?

Just a thought.

You may well be right. Our Disney photographer actually scolded us for not using DPS for our wedding on the ride over to MK for our portraits. Then our pictures were out of focus and crap quality. Now, I'm not saying it was deliberate or anything, but it does seem to be that those of us who use outside photography services are the ones who get the poorest results from Disney.

If that is the case, it is very unprofessional of them!!! Disney needs to stamp on it if they think this is what is happening!! After all, those brides who have hired outside photographers, are still paying as much for their Escape package as the brides who do not!! Maybe if DPS were consistently excellent (like the majority of outside photographers), then less people would hire outside help. Disney have no one to blame but themselves for brides seeking other photographers!!

Agreed 100%! Disney seems to be shooting itself in the foot if this is the case. I never would have even thought about hiring an outside photographer if I hadn't read numerous negative posts about Disney photography on here.

Agreed 100%! Disney seems to be shooting itself in the foot if this is the case. I never would have even thought about hiring an outside photographer if I hadn't read numerous negative posts about Disney photography on here.

I agree! This is one of the hardest parts of the DFTW decision-making to me. The value and uniqueness of a DFTW is (to me at least) and in-park experience, but if you don't have quality photos as a record of the event?

Although, on the bright side, the uncertain quality of Disney Photography is what creates such a high demand for wonderful photographers such as Randy and the Ardnts and what gives them such robust buisness. Even on a good day, I don't think DFAP quite matches up to the kind of photographs the outside photographers produce!

I spoke with Tonya at DFAP yesterday, and I am satisfied. She was super apologetic and seemed to understand my point of view.

I'm not sure if I can discuss details, but we were presented with three options, which we are trying to decide among now.

The only reason that I am satisfied, however, is because we have tons of beautiful pictures from Randy Chapman. I do want it to remain clear that had we gone only with DFAP the only satisfactory resolution in my mind would involve time travel and redoing the pictures; I'm sure Disney could pull that off if they really wanted to :)

Thanks for letting me vent and for commiserating with me!

I agree! This is one of the hardest parts of the DFTW decision-making to me. The value and uniqueness of a DFTW is (to me at least) and in-park experience, but if you don't have quality photos as a record of the event?

My dilemma as well my friend, my dilemma as well.

I spoke with Tonya at DFAP yesterday, and I am satisfied. She was super apologetic and seemed to understand my point of view.

I'm not sure if I can discuss details, but we were presented with three options, which we are trying to decide among now.

The only reason that I am satisfied, however, is because we have tons of beautiful pictures from Randy Chapman. I do want it to remain clear that had we gone only with DFAP the only satisfactory resolution in my mind would involve time travel and redoing the pictures; I'm sure Disney could pull that off if they really wanted to :)

Thanks for letting me vent and for commiserating with me!

Awesome! If they let you share what the resolution was, I know therevare several of us who would like to know.

Just an interesting thought (and yes, I've had plenty of stuggles with DFTW and the photography - and I've not even had my wedding yet.....) - if you use an outside photographer, the Disney Photographer will then only take "photo journalistic" shots. This means there will be no posed photos, and it would be reasonable to take pics of another photographer taking pics of you. That said, true photo journalistic photography is actually difficult to do well, which I think is where the issues arise - as not all of the photographers do this well. Still - no excuse for missing heads, downright bad shots or rudeness..... Hope you got a good outcome!

I totally know how you feel. I am sorry you weren't happy. At least you had the forsight to use Randy Chapman whom I have heard nothing but great things of.

We ONLY used Disney Photography (as we were told we had to as we were getting married in the Park) and I totally regret it! I wish I had hired an outside photographer too but didn't think I needed it. Sorry, I am going to vent but I just wanted to speak to people who may also feel my pain.

Our problems are:

-Epcot Dessert Party photos- so many of the Fireworks shots, my husband's head is warped or doubled. Also, during the Dessert part, many photos are just not very good or just plain weird. Plus, there aren't many of us during that part. And I wasn't happy that the photographer took a picture of us and my husband's Grandma where someone put devil horns behind our heads...he couldn't say something? It's one of only 2 pictures of us with Grandma. It seems like the best looking pictures are of the food.

-Epcot Italy Ceremony shots- lots of very far away pictures of me and the bridesmaids. That seems to be a running theme. We also have very few shots of the actual ceremony.

-Living Seas Reception- I did not think I had to tell a Wedding photographer to take table shots, turns out I did as he didn't take any. Also, we took at least 10 shots in front of the Living Seas white sign....I got none! The only shot of me and my brothers, my one brother's eyes are closed and we took a lot of photos.

-MK and DHS Sessions- lots of far away shots. I don't think this guy knew what a zoom lense was. And because we were about 10 minutes late getting to DHS, we only had a half hour, not the full hour! Also, realize that park sessions are during the morning so there is lots of water all over the ground as they are getting the parks ready. I was told though, that they will get rid of the water in the album photos...we'll see.

I don't know what to do as I am actually making up my album now. It seems like my Step-Mom took better pictures a lot of the time (She's got a super real deal Nokia). I will say we do have a good number of photos that are nice but I am just not happy with how many shots are just super far away.

-I also don't like that with the Video, they just plopped it on the dance floor and only moved it like twice. And they only got like 5 testimonials!! They didn't even get my Mom or my husband's Dad!!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been a victim of Disney's poor photography quality. Unfortunately, they were your only option - all of your events are were in park and you can't bring in outside photography vendors to any in park events. Have you expressed any of your concerns with Disney Photography directly?

I totally know how you feel. I am sorry you weren't happy. At least you had the forsight to use Randy Chapman whom I have heard nothing but great things of.

We ONLY used Disney Photography (as we were told we had to as we were getting married in the Park) and I totally regret it! I wish I had hired an outside photographer too but didn't think I needed it. Sorry, I am going to vent but I just wanted to speak to people who may also feel my pain.

Our problems are:

-Epcot Dessert Party photos- so many of the Fireworks shots, my husband's head is warped or doubled. Also, during the Dessert part, many photos are just not very good or just plain weird. Plus, there aren't many of us during that part. And I wasn't happy that the photographer took a picture of us and my husband's Grandma where someone put devil horns behind our heads...he couldn't say something? It's one of only 2 pictures of us with Grandma. It seems like the best looking pictures are of the food.

-Epcot Italy Ceremony shots- lots of very far away pictures of me and the bridesmaids. That seems to be a running theme. We also have very few shots of the actual ceremony.

-Living Seas Reception- I did not think I had to tell a Wedding photographer to take table shots, turns out I did as he didn't take any. Also, we took at least 10 shots in front of the Living Seas white sign....I got none! The only shot of me and my brothers, my one brother's eyes are closed and we took a lot of photos.

-MK and DHS Sessions- lots of far away shots. I don't think this guy knew what a zoom lense was. And because we were about 10 minutes late getting to DHS, we only had a half hour, not the full hour! Also, realize that park sessions are during the morning so there is lots of water all over the ground as they are getting the parks ready. I was told though, that they will get rid of the water in the album photos...we'll see.

I don't know what to do as I am actually making up my album now. It seems like my Step-Mom took better pictures a lot of the time (She's got a super real deal Nokia). I will say we do have a good number of photos that are nice but I am just not happy with how many shots are just super far away.

-I also don't like that with the Video, they just plopped it on the dance floor and only moved it like twice. And they only got like 5 testimonials!! They didn't even get my Mom or my husband's Dad!!

Do you mind me asking who your photographer was? I know in the email I received there are a list of photographers. I thought that you get to pick your own. Do they just assign you one?

You can request certain photographers but Disney will not guarantee that you will get them. There was one bride on the boards a while ago that didn't get her first or second choice of photographer assigned to her!!

Here are some contacts:

Dara Blonde
Coordinator for Wishes Weddings
Disney Fine Art Photography & Video
Phone 407.827.5029
Dara.R.Blonde@disney.com

Also:

Tonya Wilson
Creative Media Manager
Phone 321-239-2479
Tonya.Wilson@disney.com

I spoke first with Dara, but she really wasn't much help. Tonya is the senior person, you might consider going straight to her.

Do you mind me asking who your photographer was? I know in the email I received there are a list of photographers. I thought that you get to pick your own. Do they just assign you one?

pima416,
I can't pm you yet as I need to post at least 6 more times. I will send you a pm as soon as it lets me. I just don't want to put his name on here. He was super nice but just sub-par.

princesswendy720,
Thank you. I didn't say anything because it took almost a year just to get my proofs. There was a fire at the photo lab or something so I had to wait until I got the full set of proof books. I don't know why I haven't said anything. I just love Disney so much that I guess I feel weird complaining. I am going to say something about the missing pictures though.

I should say something though as if people don't let them know about the problems, they won't be fixed. It's just that Dara and Lillian are just so nice and helpful I feel bad being negative. But I will tell them that the photographer isn't that great, but that they are super helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter