Upgrading Undercover Tourist tickets to Annual Pass with DVC discount

perfectparanoia

Mouseketeer
I know that this was possible in the past but I was wondering if anyone has done so lately. (The last post I can find of this was in 2010).

I don't want to buy the tickets and then not be able to upgrade!

Also, what is the process? I need to use the tickets before I can upgrade them, correct? Does my husband need his DVC card or can we just use mine (we live under the same roof and he can't find his)?

Use the tickets at least once.
Take them to any Guest Relations location inside or outside of the park, or DTD.
Say "I would like to upgrade my tickets to a DVC Annual Pass."
Hand them your tickets, your ID, and your DVC membership card. As long as your husband lives at the same address as you, you will only need your card.

Make sure you know before you go how much the transaction will cost (price of the DVC AP minus the gate value of the tickets you have from UT). If they tell you something different, ask them to explain and recalculate it.

Make sure the AP's end date is one year from when you first used the UT ticket before you walk away.

I like the MK Guest Relations windows best for these transactions; they seem to have more knowledgeable CMs there than what I've read about other parks.

I did the upgrade at the end of August, just about a month ago. I was under the impression going in that Disney for some reason does not recognize the UT price, and would credit you the full Disney price towards the AP. I think (not sure) this is why you use the ticket first, to "activate" it so they can't tell where you bought it? Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

We bought an 8 day hopper BEFORE the price increase through UT. I was hoping to be credited the CURRENT Disney price. I was not. The lady immediately knew what I was doing, and said "You bought this through a 3rd party", which I agreed....I wasn't hiding that fact. She said that "they figured out what was going on", and when I asked what that meant she said that people have been "getting credited for the wrong amounts, but that was no longer going to happen."
I was very nice and played kind of dumb (not that hard for me!), and she said she would let it go this one time to get me the "best price" possible. This involved a phone call to a supervisor, and an exchange of my UT tickets for Disney tickets, which she then upgraded to AP's.

I had read a lot of threads on this board about this little loophole. If I remember my numbers correctly, it was about $1180 for my 4 tix (2 adult, 2 kids) via UT before the price increase. Those same tickets went up to $1282 through UT, or $1365 through Disney. My AP's were going to be around $1610, so I was hoping to get a credit for the $1365 b/c that's what I thought would happen from reading all the posts about how to do this. HOWEVER, she knew immediately that I had paid $1181 and that was all I was going to get credit for. Instead of paying about $260 for the updgrade, it was going to be more like $440. Ugg.....

However, she got me the full price credit but reiterated that Disney is "onto" this process, and would not be allowing it going forward.

So in summation, plan to get a credit towards the AP for WHAT YOU SPENT for the UT ticket, NOT the Disney price.

I was sort of surprised that I detailed this "change" when I got back and nobody seemed to care!?

I did the upgrade at the end of August, just about a month ago. I was under the impression going in that Disney for some reason does not recognize the UT price, and would credit you the full Disney price towards the AP. I think (not sure) this is why you use the ticket first, to "activate" it so they can't tell where you bought it? Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

We bought an 8 day hopper BEFORE the price increase through UT. I was hoping to be credited the CURRENT Disney price. I was not. The lady immediately knew what I was doing, and said "You bought this through a 3rd party", which I agreed....I wasn't hiding that fact. She said that "they figured out what was going on", and when I asked what that meant she said that people have been "getting credited for the wrong amounts, but that was no longer going to happen."
I was very nice and played kind of dumb (not that hard for me!), and she said she would let it go this one time to get me the "best price" possible. This involved a phone call to a supervisor, and an exchange of my UT tickets for Disney tickets, which she then upgraded to AP's.

I had read a lot of threads on this board about this little loophole. If I remember my numbers correctly, it was about $1180 for my 4 tix (2 adult, 2 kids) via UT before the price increase. Those same tickets went up to $1282 through UT, or $1365 through Disney. My AP's were going to be around $1610, so I was hoping to get a credit for the $1365 b/c that's what I thought would happen from reading all the posts about how to do this. HOWEVER, she knew immediately that I had paid $1181 and that was all I was going to get credit for. Instead of paying about $260 for the updgrade, it was going to be more like $440. Ugg.....

However, she got me the full price credit but reiterated that Disney is "onto" this process, and would not be allowing it going forward.

So in summation, plan to get a credit towards the AP for WHAT YOU SPENT for the UT ticket, NOT the Disney price.

I was sort of surprised that I detailed this "change" when I got back and nobody seemed to care!?

That's exactly what happened to us a year ago. Not worth the hassle. We did get the reduced price credited toward the DVC AP "just this once". But we had to pay the difference.

To answer the OP's original question, I didn't mean to suggest that upgrading can't be done....I just know there were tons of threads about how this loophole can save money. I think they've closed the loophole. But by all means the UT tickets CAN be upgraded, it is allowed. You need a member ID, photo ID, and the actual UT tickets.

Sorry mjc, but you were fed a line of BS by what some refer to as a "rogue" cast member.

Bridging tickets to their current gate price is still the policy at this time - whether you got them from a 3rd party, from Disney before a price increase or whatever.

There are some CMs that seem to be (charitably) confused by the rules, or (in your case) on a power trip. This "just this once" and "special favor I'm doing for you" type stuff is a load of baloney.

There are always rumors that they are going to end the bridging practice and who knows - someday they might. But it is still the policy for now.

If you like, verify this by asking on the Theme Parks board and I'm sure Cheshire Figment will chime in on his experience (he is a ticketing CM and the resident DIS ticket guru. I am involved in similar discussions on the Theme Parks board at least once a week.

And if anyone else experiences that type of thing, the best thing to do is just to take your tickets back and say "never mind." Then pick a different GR window at a different time, and you should not have any problems.

PS - mjc, not trying to pick on you or make you feel bad - just educate others. The type of issue you had does happen frequently.

Sorry mjc, but you were fed a line of BS by what some refer to as a "rogue" cast member.

Bridging tickets to their current gate price is still the policy at this time - whether you got them from a 3rd party, from Disney before a price increase or whatever.

There are some CMs that seem to be (charitably) confused by the rules, or (in your case) on a power trip. This "just this once" and "special favor I'm doing for you" type stuff is a load of baloney.

There are always rumors that they are going to end the bridging practice and who knows - someday they might. But it is still the policy for now.

If you like, verify this by asking on the Theme Parks board and I'm sure Cheshire Figment will chime in on his experience (he is a ticketing CM and the resident DIS ticket guru. I am involved in similar discussions on the Theme Parks board at least once a week.

And if anyone else experiences that type of thing, the best thing to do is just to take your tickets back and say "never mind." Then pick a different GR window at a different time, and you should not have any problems.

PS - mjc, not trying to pick on you or make you feel bad - just educate others. The type of issue you had does happen frequently.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe what you are saying, and appreciate the advice. Just to clarify, the CM I spoke with was not a bully. She was really nice. She did have to call a supervisor to clear the transfer to the AP at the Disney price (by changing out the tickets to Disney tickets first). She knew exactly what I was doing, I don't think there was any confusion. She even said "Oh, these came from a 3rd party", and I think she mentioned UT.

My wife just reminded me (she was with me at the time) that the CM basically told me that they are going to credit people what they spend b/c otherwise it's really "not fair" (her words) to those who pay full price before an upgrade.

Since we all know that Disney doesn't turn away a chance to make money, I have to ask: If I only spent $1181 but somebody else spent $1360 on the same tickets, and we are both upgrading to the same $1600 (approx) AP purchase, why wouldn't Disney crack down? Just curious. It is really nice that I was able to get the bridged price, so I am not complaining, but isn't it really surprising in a sense that they have allowed this to go on for this long?

Thanks for the education, I'm always trying to learn.

My understanding is that they don't actually know what YOU spent (per the ticketing CMs that have posted here, although I know you said otherwise). They only know what the 3rd party company paid for the tickets. This is logical since you could buy tickets many places for all kinds of prices. Disney doesn't control the prices that 3rd parties sell tickets for, nor do they have any insight into that. (Just think - you could buy tickets from your brother in law or neighbor or whoever on eBay, etc.).

I have also seen others say that if you didn't use the ticket first (so there's no bridging), it's not the price YOU paid that you get credit for, but the price the vendor paid. I have no personal experience with that - and the people I have seen post that didn't seem to either - but it also seems logical to me given what I wrote above. I have never upgraded tickets that I didn't use first.

I can only say that bridging is their policy, per the manual used by the Ticketing cast members.

That is weird. I upgraded a 10 day ticket to an AP at the end of August too. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Although I bought my ticket through Disney it was before the latest price increase. The CM bridged my ticket without any hastle or comments. In fact, it was the smoothest upgrade I have ever done. I'd always dread doing it because it always turned into an hour ordeal (I had the dining plan on the room card). This time I was in and out in 10 minutes.

They do know what you paid. They told me what I paid and they were right

I was told recently by a CM friend that the deal was up and "bringing to gate" was ending. No other details

Thanks for the feedback. I believe what you are saying, and appreciate the advice. Just to clarify, the CM I spoke with was not a bully. She was really nice.

That might be so, but she was also a CM who wasn't paying attention to training, because the official way to upgrade a ticket is to bridge the price. So...not a very good CM at all, at least in the realm of "reading one's training manual or the emails that come out"...

That is weird. I upgraded a 10 day ticket to an AP at the end of August too. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Although I bought my ticket through Disney it was before the latest price increase. The CM bridged my ticket without any hastle or comments. In fact, it was the smoothest upgrade I have ever done. I'd always dread doing it because it always turned into an hour ordeal (I had the dining plan on the room card). This time I was in and out in 10 minutes.

I had the same experience this summer....no problem whatsover. And that was for 5 tickets, each one upgraded on a different day of our vacation, so not just one transaction experience, but 5.

If you get someone who won't upgrade (or seems to have a hard time) just take your ticket back and try again another day or place. Best places to go are GS at MK (my personal top choice), DTD or Epcot. I actually was at the IG upgrading this past summer but prefer to go to MK when I have difficult transactions (they seem to have the most latitude there---I've even gotten cash back from a ticket upgrade there, twice).

There is no change to the price bridging policy. And I have not heard of any planned change. The thing, unfortunately, is some people in ticket windows (and even Guest Relations) do not really understand ticketing; it is just a source of income for them.

I had the same experience with a "rogue" CM at Hollywood Studios last December. She was definitely on a power trip. I stood firm and she gave me the coveted "just this time" line. At the end of the day, it was 15 minutes of hassle for about a $200 savings -- not a bad hourly rate.

mac_tlc

Vicki_C mentions to use your tickets at least once before upgrading. Let's say I purchace an 8 day park hopper from UT for $290. I use the ticket once.
When I upgrade will Disney credit $290 toward the DVC AP? Wouldn't that be like getting a free day or do they back date the AP to the date you first used the park hopper ticket?

Vicki_C mentions to use your tickets at least once before upgrading. Let's say I purchace an 8 day park hopper from UT for $290. I use the ticket once.
When I upgrade will Disney credit $290 toward the DVC AP? Wouldn't that be like getting a free day or do they back date the AP to the date you first used the park hopper ticket?

Your AP date will be the first day your original ticket was used. So no free day.

I am going to be doing this in just under 2 weeks.:yay: I have a couple of questions.
We will be going to the International Gateway. I have a DVC Annual Pass to pick up that I bought. Meanwhile DH has a 7 Day Park Hopper we want to upgrade to a DVC Annual Pass. We purchased this from UT a year and a half ago. I don't know what I paid for it. But I think ---. If he goes through the turnstiles into Epcot to use the ticket, can he just make a U Turn and come back to Guest Relations with me to upgrade it right then and there - like 2 minutes after he used it? And the cost difference in the AP should be between the current cost of a 7 Day Park Hopper and the current price of the DVC AP?
Thanks

I am going to be doing this in just under 2 weeks.:yay: I have a couple of questions.
We will be going to the International Gateway. I have a DVC Annual Pass to pick up that I bought. Meanwhile DH has a 7 Day Park Hopper we want to upgrade to a DVC Annual Pass. We purchased this from UT a year and a half ago. I don't know what I paid for it. But I think ---. If he goes through the turnstiles into Epcot to use the ticket, can he just make a U Turn and come back to Guest Relations with me to upgrade it right then and there - like 2 minutes after he used it? And the cost difference in the AP should be between the current cost of a 7 Day Park Hopper and the current price of the DVC AP?
Thanks

Don't know, but this is what we would be doing too. So waiting to see the answer to your question. I'm assuming it should not be a problem.

Thanks

Yes, you make a u-turn and head straight back out. As for what you get credited, my original response was that I was told by the CM we will only be getting credit for WHAT YOU PAID for the park hopper pass when I was just down there, but several people have indicated this is not the case. I sort of played dumb and she made a phone call and ended up crediting us the full amount, but first had to swap them out (the UT tickets) for Disney direct park hoppers, and then upgraded those.
For the life of me I cannot believe that Disney is not going to crack down on this, but the official response is that you will be credited the full amount. So if you bought it for $200 but the current price is $300, you will get a $300 credit.

They are leaving money at the gate, literally, so I am shocked they allow this....but I'm not going to complain! This little "loophole" saved us a few hundred dollars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter