• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrading to DVC Annual Pass Question

otterpop

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

I would like to upgrade unused Undercover Tourist tickets (already linked to our MDE account) that we purchased a few months ago to one of the DVC Annual Passes to take advantage of the 13 month "deal." We will not be going to the Parks before the expiration of the offer, but we will be driving through Orlando over the Thanksgiving Holiday (we are going to VB for the first time!). I know I have to do the upgrade at a Guest Relations locations.

From what I can figure out and since we will not be going to the parks, Guest Relations at either the International Gateway (I can park at BCV and then walk) or Disney Springs would be the most convenient (free to park and I don't need to enter a park to access). Would this be correct or am I missing something?

Also, I am unable to find out any specifics when either location opens. Does anyone happen to know? We will most likely be driving thru early morning, so the the earlier the better.

Last question, when I do the actual upgrade are there any specific words I need to use to tell the CM what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I would like to upgrade unused Undercover Tourist tickets (already linked to our MDE account) that we purchased a few months ago to one of the DVC Annual Passes to take advantage of the 13 month "deal." We will not be going to the Parks before the expiration of the offer, but we will be driving through Orlando over the Thanksgiving Holiday (we are going to VB for the first time!). I know I have to do the upgrade at a Guest Relations locations.

From what I can figure out and since we will not be going to the parks, Guest Relations at either the International Gateway (I can park at BCV and then walk) or Disney Springs would be the most convenient (free to park and I don't need to enter a park to access). Would this be correct or am I missing something?

Also, I am unable to find out any specifics when either location opens. Does anyone happen to know? We will most likely be driving thru early morning, so the the earlier the better.

Last question, when I do the actual upgrade are there any specific words I need to use to tell the CM what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any help!

Evan
If I were you I would plan on Disney Springs. BC and BW often do not allow parking without a room or dining reservation (there were huge signs alerting people this past week). You could get lucky but by no means is it a given you will be allowed to park there. Not sure how many people work at guest relations at Disney springs but it is definitely small at IG (there are only 2 or 3 windows there) and the line can move very slowly if there are complicated issues in front of you. Also you will need to make sure they issue you an annual pass certificate (might be using the wrong term) not an ACTIVE annual pass. If they activate it your 13 months will start from that date not the date of your next vacation.

I can't speak to the best option for where to upgrade or which place opens earliest.
When you upgrade use the word "upgrade" not "bridge." And figure out ahead of time the amount you should be charged. I went to a ticket window to do the upgrade because the line was shorter than Guest Relations. I used the word "upgrade" and the agent still did not get it right (I knew because I had calculated beforehand). Eventually the agent got it right but it was only because I insisted that she do it again. In retrospect perhaps the Guest Relations window would have done this with no problem had I been willing to wait.

Thank you both for your comments...very helpful.

Any idea on when Guest Relations at Disney Springs opens up? I'm hoping it's earlier than when Disney Springs as a whole opens up (which looks like 10:00).

AFAIK, the DS Disney Springs location(s) open at the same time as the rest of Disney Springs.

We upgraded our PARKSAVERS 5 DAY ph WITH WATER PARKS TO GOLD AP'S on OCT 15 at about 7pm at international gateway before we used them. No one was there in line, took about 10 minutes. We are DVC owners. It cost us $121.81 for each ticket. So instead of us paying another $394 each for next year 5d PH.water we paid $121.81 instead and got 13 months. Gold AP does not have water park option so we lost that when we upgraded but we don't do WP anyway.

Thanks...I'm tempted to make a reservation for breakfast at Beach/Yacht Club and either right before or after go to the International Gateway to do the exchange.

otterpop, if you upgrade first before breakfast (if you can) you should get a 20% discount at Captains Grill or cape may café. here's a list:
Effective October 1, 2016, a 10% discount is available at Disney operated Walt Disney World Table Service restaurants (excluding Victoria and Alberts)

A special 20% discount is available for Annual Passholders at the following Walt Disney World table and quick service restaurants through September 30, 2017

• Animal Kingdom - Flame Tree Barbecue
  • Animal Kingdom - Tiffins
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - The Mara
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jiko
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Sanaa
  • Beach Club - Beach Club Marketplace
  • Beach Club - Cape May Cafe
  • Blizzard Beach - Lottawatta Lodge
  • Boardwalk - Boardwalk Bakery
  • Boardwalk - Boardwalk Pizza
  • Boardwalk - ESPN Sports Club
  • Boardwalk - Flying Fish
  • Contemporary - Contempo Cafe
  • Contemporary - The Wave
  • Disney Springs - Disney Food Trucks
  • Disney Springs - D-Luxe Burger
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex - ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill
  • Epcot - Biergarten Restaurant
  • Epcot - Coral Reef Restaurant
  • Epcot - Electric Umbrella
  • Epcot - Garden Grill
  • Epcot - Liberty Inn
  • Epcot - Rose & Crown Dining Room
  • Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground - Trail's End Restaurant
  • Grand Floridian - Gasparilla Island Grill
  • Grand Floridian - Citricos
  • Grand Floridian - Grand Floridian Cafe
  • Grand Floridian - Narcoossee's
  • Hollywood Studios - ABC Commissary
  • Hollywood Studios - Backlot Express
  • Hollywood Studios - Hollywood & Vine
  • Hollywood Studios - Hollywood Brown Derby
  • Magic Kingdom - Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen
  • Magic Kingdom - Peco's Bills
  • Old Key West - Olivia's Cafe
  • Polynesian Village - Capt. Cook's
  • Polynesian Village - Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
  • Polynesian Village - Kona Cafe
  • Port Oleans Riverside - Boatwright's Dining Hall
  • Saratoga Springs - The Turf Club
  • Typhoon Lagoon - Leaning Palms
  • Wilderness Lodge - Artist Point
  • Wilderness Lodge - Roaring Fork
  • Wilderness Lodge - Whispering Canyon Cafe
  • Yacht Club - Gaptain's Grille
Discounts are valid for purchases made by the Passholder only and valid Pass ID is required for redemption.

Passholders can enjoy a variety of dining benefits and discounts at Walt Disney World Resort. Simply present a valid Passholder ID and delight in the following

Good info. Thanks! I'm guessing that our AP's need to be activated to receive the discount? We won't be activating them though until next June...

Last edited:
One thing is you'll have to ask for an AP voucher - otherwise you'll be getting an AP that is active that day. From all accounts this can take some insisting and I think a GS location is definitely what you'll need to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter