Upgrading to Concierge for Free

We have been upgraded to concierge for free twice. Once at the Yacht Club in August 2003 and once at the Beach Club in October 2006. However, our upgrades did not result from asking at check in. The resulted from complaints that were related to poor service.

In August 2003 we were originally booked into Coronado Springs on what was then known as the Fairytale package. We got 1 room, waterview, 2 adults, 2 juniors and the old style unlimited park hopper tickets all for $1190 for the week. It was insane. Well, we arrived at CSR only to be informed that there was a convention occupying 2/3rds of the resort and they their special events would be closing the Dig Site pool for the next few days. Needless to say we were disappointed. The front desk offered to upgrade us to a Deluxe of our choice for free. We were thrilled and because we wanted to spend a lot of time at Epcot we requested the Yacht Club. Upon arrival at the Yacht Club the next day we were informed that we would have to wait a few hours to check-in. No big deal, off to the parks. We called at 3, no room, we called at 4, no room, we went back at 5, no room. This was getting insane. We were moved to a deluxe by disney, not of our own accord and were getting worse service than we experienced at CSR (they were wonderful). So my dad firmly asked to speak to the general manager (The front desk informed us there were NO ROOMS....it was august...i highly doubt there were no rooms). Miraculously the general manager found us a waterview room on the concierge level in about 30 seconds. :lmao:

In October 2006, we were booked to stay in a Standard View room at the Beach Club. We arrived, got our room, loved it and headed out to Epcot. When we returned our room was stifling hot, despite the fact that we set the air conditioning before we left. We tried to give it an hour or so to kick in when we returned, but never in 25+ stays at disney resorts had our room ever been this hot. We called maintenance and they said that they needed to order and part and would fix it tomorrow. Ok. They said between 9 and 12 the next day they would come. Again, no issue because we were planning to go to the parks. However, when we returned at 1:30 the maintenance man was just arriving at the room. So we went to the pool feeling slightly inconvenienced. By the time we returned to our room 24 hours had passed and they claimed the AC was working. So we tried it out another night. And woke up in a sweat :confused3 The next day we had ANOTHER maintenance man return and say it was not fixed. By this point we are exasperated and asked to speak to a manager. Here is the fun part. My dad was on the phone for 2 HOURS, passed off from one department to the next and never speaking with a manager. It was a sunday night and we were informed that the General Manager was not in. Dad requested his voicemail. They refused. After another 15 minutes of complaining at the sheer lack of service we were given a room in concierge.

So I would say under exceptional circumstances that Disney offers free concierge (whether it be magic or complaints :rotfl2: ). I want to let you know we don't seek out complaining. In fact, we couldn't believe when we were upgraded to concierge again. We would have been thrilled with another standard view that had working AC LOL.

What do you think is the best way to try to get a free concierge upgrade? Should I just (politely) ask how much it costs and if it is too much for my budget, tell them no, thank you. And maybe they will upgrade us for free? Should I come right out and ask? "Are you really booked? You don't suppose you have some empty concierge rooms just sitting there that perhaps I could occupy for no extra charge? Pretty please??" :)

Opinions?

Thanks!

I would do none of the above--and I certainly wouldn't "beg" for the upgrade--I think that puts the CM in a very awkward position if there are no free upgrades available.

I'd simply ask "Are there any upgrades available?"

If the CM has the ability to give a free upgrade, s/he might just do so. Or they might tell you that nfortunately none are available, or tell you "Yes, for $X per night."

Anne

I had booked our last night in WDW (last Sunday) at POLY thru special at Travelocity regular garden view room as a special 'treat' (stayed 5 nights at POR) to end our trip. Lo and behold they had upgraded us to concierge! Talk about some Disney magic! :wizard: I don't know the reason but just thanked our cast member at check-in and we enjoyed an amazing (and spoiled) final day at WDW.

pcon3.jpg

Wow, derekw ~ that's great!

From what I have read, they more often upgrade guests who are just staying one or two nights than guests settling in for 2 weeks!

Should I just (politely) ask how much it costs and if it is too much for my budget, tell them no, thank you. And maybe they will upgrade us for free? Should I come right out and ask? "Are you really booked? You don't suppose you have some empty concierge rooms just sitting there that perhaps I could occupy for no extra charge? Pretty please??" :)
!

Would you SERIOUSLY ask either of these questions to the CMs?? :confused3
I just got a kick out of the one that you said "Should I just (politely) ask how much it costs and if it is too much for my budget, tell them no, thank you.".. Now please don't take this the wrong way -- But, if i were the CM, i would think to myself, "Lady, you can obviously afford a deluxe hotel - i am sure you could afford a concierge room if you REALLY wanted to get one".. ;)

I would say, that upgrades happen to those who least expect it.. they are a gift, not a request. :goodvibes

We got upgraded once at Disneys Hilton Head resort, when we checked in for our one bedroom, they upgraded us to a two bedroom, which was huge, and we were very appreciative! :thumbsup2

I had booked our last night in WDW (last Sunday) at POLY thru special at Travelocity regular garden view room as a special 'treat' (stayed 5 nights at POR) to end our trip. Lo and behold they had upgraded us to concierge! Talk about some Disney magic! :wizard: I don't know the reason but just thanked our cast member at check-in and we enjoyed an amazing (and spoiled) final day at WDW.

I also booked through the travelocity special for a Courtyard room at WL for 1 night this past weekend and as soon as I gave my name at check-in they informed me I had been upgraded to concierge too!

I was there for a quick 2 days/1 night as a treat to myself between spring finals and summer semester which starts next week (part time graduate school, and i still work full time) What a lovely surprise that was!!! :goodvibes

Maybe i should have tried to extend the trip and called in sick from work, lol.

I also booked through the travelocity special for a Courtyard room at WL for 1 night this past weekend and as soon as I gave my name at check-in they informed me I had been upgraded to concierge too!

I was there for a quick 2 days/1 night as a treat to myself between spring finals and summer semester which starts next week (part time graduate school, and i still work full time) What a lovely surprise that was!!! :goodvibes

Maybe i should have tried to extend the trip and called in sick from work, lol.

Wow, me too! Friday I checked into WL and was upgraded to concierge without asking! I had also booked one night courtyard through Travelocity. What fun...

I've been upgraded twice to concierge in the last 6 hotel stays. Once was this past weekend at WL, and once was a nine night stay at the Poly...but my DH checked us in and for some reason staff members everywhere seem to love him, I wasn't all that surprised.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason, it is just random, and I doubt asking for it helps...I've only asked for one upgrade, water view, and I was fully prepared to pay for it, I asked upon check in because there were none available in the weeks leading up to that trip. At every hotel, I've gotten my requests fulfilled or something better...I've been very lucky, but I never expect any of it, it is just a nice treat when it happens!

Of course, Disney had a hidden agenda that worked well with me...I'll stay concierge every time I stay at the Poly, and now the WL also...Love it!

I have never been upgraded to concierge, but I have been upgraded to better views occasionally (2x at CSR and 2x at POP). This usually happens when we are staying only one or two nights and when there are only 2 of us in a room. Both times at POP we got king bed rooms in the preferred section. I think king rooms are in less demand at the "family" resorts.

the best way to get what you want is to pay for it! They will not upgrade you just because you ask! I have been upgraded many times, not once did I give any type of plug for it! It just happens........personally I would be to embarrased to ask a question like that! ~ but hey, good luck!

I see no problem with asking about an upgrade. If they offer it for free wonderful, if they tell you the cost and you opt not to pay that's fine too. Sometimes you never know unless you ask. Just be polite, its only a question. I've never gotten an upgrade at Disney, but DH asks for all kinds of things all the time. Sometimes he is told no and sometimes he is told yes. He has gotten discounts or upgrades at all kinds of hotels all over the place. He just simply asks.

I don't see why everyone is acting so superior to the OP on this one. I'm sure that people ask all the time. I'm sure that my DH will ask on our next trip. A nicer view or upgrade to concierge would be nice. But not something I would pay the extra money for, or be disappointed not to get. We have saved and saved for this trip. Its a big deal for us. I'm sure that someone else out there will get the same type of room as us for less or even upgraded from a moderate for one reason or another to the same level room as us, or pay the same as us and be upgraded to a nicer room or view. Congratulations to them. Does their happiness hinder me from having a great trip? Not in the least, and I'm happy that someone else was shown some Disney Magic. Maybe next time it will be me. Give the OP a break.

I would never ask for a free upgrade-it's like going on a cruise-pick the category room you'll be happy with and if an upgrade comes along great! But I would never ask for a free upgrade and especially not to conceirge level.

I have no problem with asking for an upgrade. I often do it myself because if there are a lot of rooms available they are sometimes willing to charge less to upgrade the room at check-in than they would when you intially call to book. At Disney, where they are so good at forcing people to pay rack rate (I don't think I have ever seen a hotel company control their rates as much as Disney) any little discount you get helps.

The thing that bugged me about the OP's original post was the sort of presumptive attitude that it is possible to wheedle a free upgrade after being told that she would have to pay for it and that the only reason she wouldn't get upgraded is because there were no rooms availble in the higher category. Disney is a business, it would rather have the nicer rooms go unoccupied than put people in them that aren't paying for them. Free upgrades rarely happen unless Disney gets something out of it too. They might reduce the upgrade free if there is a lot of availability because they would still be getting more money out of you (and if you are just upgrading the view, they aren't giving you anything that costs more to them).

I would never ask for a free upgrade-it's like going on a cruise-pick the category room you'll be happy with and if an upgrade comes along great! But I would never ask for a free upgrade and especially not to conceirge level.
In regards to the cruise, asking for an upgrade at the terminal is expected and anticipated. They aren't free, unless they're given out ahead of time by inventory control, but they are much less expensive than what you would have paid up front. They even have a handy chart, so that they can quote you the difference between your category and your requested upgrade (even up to concierge). If you get there early enough and they have availability, you can find some great deals.

I just got back from the all star Movies and they upgraded us from standard to one of those suites. But I didn't ask for it. I think it was because it was on
our reservations about it being our 31st anniversary.

I don't see why everyone is acting so superior to the OP on this one. Give the OP a break.

To me, no one is acting superior. :confused3 We were asked an opinion by the OP -- and we are giving it.
I PERSONALLY can't see ASKING for a free upgrade. To me, that's part of the "magic" -- and if it was meant to happen, then it will. But, there are lot of people who work their tails off to book a concierge room and pay for it. ;) So, to have someone come in and ASK to be upgraded for FREE to concierge, to me seems a bit tacky. IMHO. However, if she arrives and wants to upgrade and pay the difference, then by all means - ask if their are rooms available to do so.
However, if i were standing by someone in the lobby who was asking for a free concierge upgrade - would it bother me and make me upset - nope. I am there to relax. I don't agree with it, but i wouldn't let it bother me either. ;)
Remember, the OP asked for our thoughts, i don't think anyone is jumping on her.. not everyone will agree, and i am sure she knew that when posting the question. :thumbsup2

Last summer we stayed nine nights at POR and then three at WL. A friend of ours works at GF and told us to ask for his friend who is a manager at WL when we checked in. My husband checked us in and asked for the friend. The castmember said he wasn't there then but he had upgraded us to bunkbeds. She said she was going to upgrade us also. Would we like to face the Magic Kingdom or pool. My husband chose the MK and we were on the sixth floor with the most fabulous view of the fireworks each night. We loved it!
We spoke with our friend a few days later and told him what his friend did for us. He said he never mentioned to his friend that we were coming. I guess all it took was knowing the managers name. :)

Actually, the OP didn't ask for opinion, the poster asked how to phrase the question of asking for a complimentary upgrade. It wasn't that long ago that fellow DIS'ers would respond by suggesting that someone act "truly excited" at check-in and ask with sugar in their voice. I think some of us are just noticing that overall responses in general appear to have changed and that here on the DIS, we seem quicker towards being negative to someone. Maybe their error was putting thier gumption right out there and not phrasing the question in a manner that may be more acceptable to folks.

Tammi, i definately (respectfully) disagree with that. When you come on a public forum and ask a question, people will respond with their opinion - not all of us will agree.. But, i think so far we have done it with respect and no one has been rude.
I definately don't find that the DIS'ers are quicker to be negitive towards anyone.. in fact, i find it to be the opposite. Most DIS'ers i have come across are very nice and helpful, I just think it's certian topics that might ignite some personal opinions to come out more obvisously.

btw - as pointed out by the above poster, she DID ask for opinions. ;)

I would like to hear what the OP thinks about it all - and her response to how she thinks she will handle it (asking for upgrade).. I don't think she has been back on this thread since she asked - has she??

Is it on a different floor? I am booking two rooms, if one is concierge and the other is not, can I bring someone from the other room up there?
:)

I wanted to address this -- As for being on a different floor, it depends, We stayed right on the 5th floor, which is all conceirge, but i know at the BC, they also have other concierge rooms on other floors, then they just give you the access card to get up to the 5th floor for food and such.

And, about booking one room and bringing others up to the conceirge, I would personally say - absolutley NOT. Only those who PAY for the concierge service should be allowed the service. I heard/saw this go on when we stayed at the BC one year, and it really aggravated me. :sad2: I understand that one of your rooms would be concierge, but if you want everyone to have the ability to use the service, then you really need to pay for the service for both rooms. ;)

Please let us know what happens when you call the hotel.. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter