Upgrading (partial) question

LuvTheMagic985

Mouseketeer
We are taking advantage of FD in 2011 and I have a few questions.
-We are staying at a deluxe resort but we do NOT get DxDDP, correct?

Our party includes me, my DH, DD-17 and DDBF-17.
-DD and DDBF are picky eaters and some evenings we are going different directions for supper. Is it possible for me and DH to upgrade to DxDDP to do some signature dining that the kids would not be interested in?

Also, say towards the end of the meal you are pretty full, can you still order your desert and take it with you?

Thanks in advance!:goodvibes

Free dining does NOT include the deluxe dining plan...even if you are staying at a deluxe resort. You will have the reg DDP (1 snack, 1 CS, 1 TS credit).

Everyone has to have the same dining plan. So you can't upgrade yourselves without upgrading the kids.
Now if you want to pay to upgrade everyone and they don't want their extra credits you can use them.

I highly recommend that when you make your dining reservations that you use seperate names and phone numbers, as if the system or a CM sees 2 ressies for different places they can cancel both, as they may mistakenly think you are double booking.
So if the kids want to eat at Kona and you and DH at Ohana, make sure the ressies are different people. (kind of a guard against losing your ressie).

Depending on where you eat, yes you can ask for the dessert to go. Obviously you can't do this at buffets, but most other restaurants you can.
I would recommend when doing so take into consideration what you will be doing after the meal, as most desserts don't travel well....melt, get mixed up, dry out...just keep that in mind when choosing something to take with you.

Have a good trip!!

I have found that if we are traveling back to the room shortly after dining then it was fine to take my dessert to go- I normally asked which desserts would travel best and was given a few choices.

to get in a few signature restaurants done: You can use your credits anyway you like; so, you can use 2 TS credits for a signature place. Of course, this leaves you without another TS meal to use a credit. We usually go to a cheaper place like Tusker House for lunch and pay out of pocket for those cheaper TS meals. It works out for us to do it this way. I like two signature places; so, it's manageable to do it this way. You can do another quick service, too out of pocket if you use TS credits up faster.

You may want to bite the bullet and just upgrade to the better plan; it's a vacation. I've been thinking of trying out more signature places for our next trip; so, I may do the same.

You may want to keep in mind by upgrading to the deluxe plan you will also get refillable mugs.

Thanks so much for the information everyone. I may upgrade after I calculate the costs. If I understand correctly it will cost me an additional $33 per person/per night = $132 a day.

Is there a time limit as to when I can upgrade?

Also, is it possible to substitute a dessert for appetizer during a meal?

Also, is it possible to substitute a desert for appetizer during a meal?

Disney is very strict about NOT allowing this. Sorry! Most people believe it is because it increases the amount of time people are sitting at their tables without generating any additional revenue (extra course for no extra cost).

You can upgrade 3 days/72 hours prior to arrival.
Personally I would not wait till the last minute.
We all surmise one reason guests cannot substitute appy for dessert is because most people would share both. (One person order an appy. Another a dessert.)
This would just tie up even more dining and server time with no profit towards the restaurant to compensate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter