upgrading my canon xsi to a canon 60D

Brandee23

Mouseketeer
I have been looking at the Canon 60 D for awhile. I hear such great things about it. I love that it has the ability to take video, higher pixels and that it's a faster camera. The Canon 60D is pricey so I've been waiting to get a good price on it.

I have the anon Rebel Xsi, for the most part I have been extremely happy with this camera. My problem is that every time I shoot a lot of pictures, the camera seems to freeze up. This usually comes after about 45 min or so of taking pictures. I go to press the shutter halfway down like usual and nothing happens. Then it says "busy" on the screen. Sometimes it clears up right away but usually takes a minute or two. Sometimes turning the camera off and back on helps and sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why this is happening? I've tried buying a faster card, I've tried different settings, it still happens. I've also wondered if the 18-200mm lens could be slowing my camera down. It's frustrating this is one reason I was thinking of buying the 60 D, hoping it would rectify the problem.

I have been reading a lot of articles on here. I've noticed quite a few people have the Canon 50mm lens and love it!! A lot of people like it more then the 18-200mm for the sharpness of pictures and I understand it's a faster lens.

Which makes me wonder is the reason my camera always gets busy because the 18-200mm lens is slowing it down and is it the canon xsi camera itself?

If your sold on the 60D, then I would wait a little longer because its replacement (the 70D) is rumored to be in the pipeline for release soon. There usually is a price drop after the introduction of a new model. I'm not a Canon shooter, but I am guessing that when you say your camera gets "busy", it won't accept any more images. This normally indicates the buffer is full or you are using a slow SDHC card. The write speed may be too slow usually indicated by a "Class #" on the card itself. For your camera I wouldn't use less than a Class 6. The Canon folks may have a better take on what cards are best for you. Your camera being "busy" usually is not the lens unless your are talking about focusing speed. Even then, a larger aperture lens may not be the issue. Lenses are problem solvers. What type of image are you trying to capture that the 18-200 cannot or giving you problems? That's the first question you have to ask. I'm a sports photographer so I primarily need lowlight fast focusing zoom lenses. If you look at my kit, you won't find a lot of primes, UWA's, portrait or macro lenses. I don't do a lot of that so their really is no need on my part to have them. I make do when I have to do that kind of shot.

As far as replacing your camera, it is many generations old, but not that much older than the 60D. Canon seems to introduce a lot entry level cameras, but is not so quick to replace their higher end cameras. It really depends on what you want out of your camera. An example, last night I shot my granddaughter's school play using my latest camera at primarily ISO 6400 but no less than 1600. If I had used one of my older cameras the max ISO would have been 1600 and an extremely noisy image. I would have had a handful of usable images. Now, I have over 400 usable images. That is the difference between older technology and newer. Does that mean your camera is going to stop taking good images? Heaven NO!! Here is an image from one of my older cameras that is older than yours.

IMGP1537 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

If I were you, I would look at websites like dpreview.com. They have a very good camera comparison tool where you can compare cameras side-by-side. I would check on things I discussed earlier and maybe the Canon folks can jump in with some more specific suggestions pertinent to your specific camera.

The freezing up probably doesn't have to do with how long you've been using it or the lens itself. It has to do with when you fill the "buffer". The XSi has a burst rate of 3.5 frames per second. As you take your shots, they sit in the "buffer" briefly until your camera can write them to the card. If you are shooting faster than the burst rate, your buffer will become full and it will "busy" up briefly until it writes them to the card and releases that space. The 60D is indeed faster at 5.3 fps.

If you look in the lower right hand corner of your frame as you are shooting, you will see a single digit number that changes as you shoot. It's probably 6 when you are not shooting. As you shoot, that number goes down. As it writes the files the card, it goes back up. It shows you how many shots are left in your "buffer".

I used to hit my buffer all the time with my Canon and had to learn to pace myself. This was especially true when my son ran cross country and we would sit and sit waiting for the action, then it would all happen in about 5 seconds. Never failed I would fill the buffer as he approached, then find the camera "busy" as he got to the finish line.

I too have considered the 60D for the higher frames per second. Of course, now that he's done with cross country, I just don't find that I need it as much. It just doesn't seem an issue in tennis.

Having a faster lens won't change this.

If you've been having this problem when you're not shooting enough to fill the buffer, then it's probably a camera malfunction that needs to be checked out. When you turn the camera on and off, have you lost shots? Turning the camera off when it's trying to write to the card could potentially interfere with it writing to the card.

If you think it's a buffer issue, one thing you can do for now is shoot in a smaller file format. I was shooting RAW and found that if I shot a smaller file size, I didn't fill my buffer as quickly.

Thanks you for the responses.. I did buy class 10 cards but it doesn't seem to help.

Mom2rtk...I'm looking at my camera, is there a buffer button? I don't see anything on the right side that would tell me a number - 6 or less. I just took 25 pictures with my camera, with an 8gb, class 10 card and it became "busy" :(

Mom2rtk...I'm looking at my camera, is there a buffer button? I don't see anything on the right side that would tell me a number - 6 or less. I just took 25 pictures with my camera, with an 8gb, class 10 card and it became "busy" :(

Not a button. It's displayed inside the viewfinder. There is a line of information along the bottom. The far right is a green dot that confirms when you have achieved focus. Then there is a single digit number next to that dot that changes as you shoot. That is your "maximum burst" figure, telling you how many shots you can take before filling your buffer. (Lots of other information there too, like your shutter speed, aperture, ISO)

What size file format are you shooting with? Try changing to the smallest size file for a moment and seeing if it does the same thing.

It's about more than the speed of the card. The camera can only do so much.

Check out this breakdown of what is in that display. In this example, the Xsi has a buffer number of 8 (not 6) It varies based on your settings.

The number, when I'm looking thru the view finder, next to the green dot is 9 and doesn't change when I shoot....?

I will see if I can change the format and if and if it helps...

I just checked my T2i. In RAW format mine starts at 6. When I change to small file format, it starts at 9.

If you shoot a number of frames in quick succession, that number should be changing.

If you work through these issues and still just think there's something else going on, find out if your camera has the latest firmware.

Is it an external flash or the onboard flash? You might not be having a buffer issue, but a flash recycle time issue.

Since T2I is newer then the xsi it's may be faster.

I am using the onboard flash. When I use my external flash, I have even a more difficult time. I have to wait for my camera not to be busy and for my flash to recycle.

Since T2I is newer then the xsi it's may be faster.

I am using the onboard flash. When I use my external flash, I have even a more difficult time. I have to wait for my camera not to be busy and for my flash to recycle.

It's only slightly faster at 3.7 fps vs. your 3.5 for the Xsi.

If the external flash is worse, then make sure the batteries in it are fresh. If it's still a problem with an external flash with fresh batteries, then I'm lost. I know I had the "busy" problem a lot using the onboard flash, but that totally disappeared with my external flash.

Good point...I will use my external flash today and see if I notice a difference, maybe it won't get as" busy" as much as when I use the onboard flash.

I have been looking at the Canon 60 D for awhile. I hear such great things about it. I love that it has the ability to take video, higher pixels and that it's a faster camera. The Canon 60D is pricey so I've been waiting to get a good price on it.

I have the anon Rebel Xsi, for the most part I have been extremely happy with this camera. My problem is that every time I shoot a lot of pictures, the camera seems to freeze up. This usually comes after about 45 min or so of taking pictures. I go to press the shutter halfway down like usual and nothing happens. Then it says "busy" on the screen. Sometimes it clears up right away but usually takes a minute or two. Sometimes turning the camera off and back on helps and sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why this is happening? I've tried buying a faster card, I've tried different settings, it still happens. I've also wondered if the 18-200mm lens could be slowing my camera down. It's frustrating this is one reason I was thinking of buying the 60 D, hoping it would rectify the problem.

I have been reading a lot of articles on here. I've noticed quite a few people have the Canon 50mm lens and love it!! A lot of people like it more then the 18-200mm for the sharpness of pictures and I understand it's a faster lens.

Which makes me wonder is the reason my camera always gets busy because the 18-200mm lens is slowing it down and is it the canon xsi camera itself?

The freezing up... when the screen says busy the camera is exactly that, busy. You shouldn't turn it off when it does this. It could be a card write issue. You could be filling your buffer. Or it could be happening because of the type of exposures you're making. So what are you shooting when it does this?

The 60D from the XSi would be a gain in ISO, but what is it about your current camera that you don't like? What do you hope to gain from a new body?

The freezing up... when the screen says busy the camera is exactly that, busy. You shouldn't turn it off when it does this. It could be a card write issue. You could be filling your buffer. Or it could be happening because of the type of exposures you're making. So what are you shooting when it does this?

The 60D from the XSi would be a gain in ISO, but what is it about your current camera that you don't like? What do you hope to gain from a new body?

My camera just gets busy all the time. If I take 20 pictures in a short period of time it will freeze up.

I am interested in updating my camera. The 60D shoots movies, has and a flip out screen, which my XSI doesn't. It also has a longer battery life, higher pixels, it shoots faster, higher ISO & has a faster shutter speed. It's rated very well.

What kind of camera do you have? Do you have a 60D? Have you ever had your camera get busy after taking too many pictures in a short period of time?

My camera just gets busy all the time. If I take 20 pictures in a short period of time it will freeze up.

Even if the buffer isn't full it could still be writing.

I am interested in updating my camera. The 60D shoots movies, has and a flip out screen, which my XSI doesn't. It also has a longer battery life, higher pixels, it shoots faster, higher ISO & has a faster shutter speed. It's rated very well.

Look at the T4i/T5i if you plan on shooting a lot of video. The ability to use the STM lenses gives them a big advantage in that area.

What kind of camera do you have? Do you have a 60D? Have you ever had your camera get busy after taking too many pictures in a short period of time?

I currently use a 50D. It has a faster burst rate and larger buffer (in relation to file size) than the 60D. It still gets busy writing sometimes when I'm shooting dance. And it seems like once I hit that point where things slow down they only get slower, even though I know that's just my impatience.

Getting the 60D may not solve this problem for you. The 7D has the fastest burst rate and largest buffer of the Canon crop bodies that are out right now.

it's not the lens, it's the camera and/or memory card have limits and it sounds like you're at those limits assuming you have turned off the custom functions (high ISO, highlight tone, etc.)
The 60D, 7D, 650D, 700D, all have faster FPS rates and buffer which is better for sports and action shots. The 60D is on the refurb and 'loyalty' list at less than $600 so that might be a possible upgrade

Thanks for the information!

The T4i may be another camera to look into.

One concern I have is the camera getting "busy" like my xsi.

Which camera would you buy the Canon 60D or the T4i, and why?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter