Upgrading from low category?

traylork

Earning My Ears
Most threads reporting upgrades at port receive posts of upgrades from category 4 or better. Anyone have experience upgrading from a lower category? Like from inside to ocean view or verandah?

No experience because I book what I want, but it is the same process. If there are rooms available, no matter the category you can go to the desk and inquire what is available. They quote you the price and you can take it or leave it. Reports are that the cost to upgrade at the port are 1/2 to 2/3 of what you would pay if you upgrade before arriving.

I was booked in an inside cabin on my last cruise ( pacific coast ) and we upgraded at port to a veranda (5A) it was $500 total for the six nights; to us well worth it

In the past, we have booked a GTY inside stateroom CAT11 and after final payment, before sailing some time they gave us a free upgrade to a CAT9 oceanview room. That was one heck of a pixie dust upgrade for us!

So, it does happen, no matter what category you are in...if the ship is not filling up to Disney's standards, they will upgrade those who have already booked to make room in the lower categories for potential bookings.

I have even heard of people getting free upgrades when they have an assigned stateroom.

Good luck to you!:thumbsup2

I was on the Magic sailing at Easter. I was booked into an 11C. At the port I upgraded to a 9B for $490. This was an 8 night trip. So went from Inside to a nice porthole view. Stayed on the same deck just other side of the ship.
It all depends on what is available. If I had booked the 9B in the first place it was 1100 more so I saved over 500 bucks by upgrading at port.

:thumbsup2

Most threads reporting upgrades at port receive posts of upgrades from category 4 or better. Anyone have experience upgrading from a lower category? Like from inside to ocean view or verandah?

We upgraded at the port from an ocean view (cat 9, I believe) to concierge on the Dream last year for $640. We really enjoyed ourselves. ::yes::

In the past, we have booked a GTY inside stateroom CAT11 and after final payment, before sailing some time they gave us a free upgrade to a CAT9 oceanview room. That was one heck of a pixie dust upgrade for us!

So, it does happen, no matter what category you are in...if the ship is not filling up to Disney's standards, they will upgrade those who have already booked to make room in the lower categories for potential bookings.

I have even heard of people getting free upgrades when they have an assigned stateroom.

Good luck to you!:thumbsup2

Same thing happened to us, TWICE! I always book the lowest category and get a free upgrade. This time around, we even got a free upgrade with a veranda my TA said :-)

We upgraded at the port from an ocean view (cat 9, I believe) to concierge on the Dream last year for $640. We really enjoyed ourselves. ::yes::

What a good price. I paid $500 just to go from an inside to a verandah (but I think it was cat 4A tho). I was pregnant so it was worth it but I probably wouldn't do it again.

What a good price. I paid $500 just to go from an inside to a verandah (but I think it was cat 4A tho). I was pregnant so it was worth it but I probably wouldn't do it again.

We sailed in October last year & while we didn't book the cruise on day 1, when the new dates for 2012 were released, I think we still booked well over a year in advance. ::yes::

We booked an IGT and had an 11B and we upgraded at port. So, anything is possible if you the cabins are available and you want to pay the fee :).

FYI....while it may seem from reading these boards that complimentary upgrades happen all the time, the truth is they don't. While they do happen, the vast majority of cabins on any particular sailing do not get a comp upgrade....and it seems the only reason they do comp upgrade is for their benefit based on their inventory requirements.

But, you can try to upgrade for a significant discount at the port if upgrades are available....some cruises they are not.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter