upgrading ddp

CAJUNBLAZE

Mouseketeer
lets just say for example, I have a nine year old, he is 5'8", weighs 145 pounds, wears a mans large shirt, and size 10(men) shoes.
Can I claim him as ten to get the adult ddp?
I have read that there is enough food plus extra, and I'm sure this would be the case for us, but this is vacation. I would pay extra for his tickets and ddp so he could have his own instead of picking off of our plates.

Yes, you can. I do what you described all the time for my 8yo. She doesn't like the kid's menu options so I upgrade her so she can eat real food. (It's also hard when one is a "disney adult" and the other is a child.)

Here is the catch- he would also then be considered 10 and an "adult" for ticketing purposes and so you would have to buy him a more expensive ticket and pay about $25-30 more per day for the DDP. Take the money you would have used to do this, and buy him an extra meal now and then or let him share some of your food. I bet it will still come out cheaper than "upgrading" him to an adult.

So you would just have to upgrade his ticket to an adult ticket because you'd be making him 10 years old and then you would be getting adult Free DDP for him.

Thanks for the idea! We are going during free DDP also, well at least hope to. I have been worried about my tall for her age 8 yr old being satisifed with the variety and the amount of the DDP for kids. I just looked and if I am reading it right the difference in price is only about $30 for the whole stay! Very worth while to make her an 'adult' one year early. :cool1:

Call Disney and let them know what you would like to do. People have posted that Disney allows them to do this.

Once the kids hit a certain age/and hoover(;)) stage, the kids meals may not be enough for them.

Let us know how it goes

Called wdw today and the cm i spoke to said it was ok to upgrade him. She did also suggest that if paying for ddp, might not be such a good idea due to the cost of upgrading to cost of oop for add ons for the meal. They dont look down on it for the free ddp because it was bought as a package deal at rack room rates. My son will be so happy:banana: :banana:
He would be ten in a couple of months anyway!

Forgot one thing, he can still get the kids meals they will just give him an adult portion. (she said it is about double the size of the kids size)

That is good news! It will make dining so much easier, and worth it for him to have enough to eat.

Let us know how he does when you get back:thumbsup2

just to clarify (havent got flamed yet and dont want this to be the first) I would have bought him the adult ddp, if it wasnt on free ddp!
He can eat more than me!

I'm glad you were able to upgrade him. I had my 2 y/o upgraded to a 3 y/o for the free dining. I did this not for food quantity but so that my daughter could eat food she would enjoy and my dh and I could order what we wanted and not have to think "will Alisha like it?"

We've really wondered what to do about our 2 year old during free dining. He's sort of a picky eater,and it is completely unpredictable what he will choose to eat at any given meal. He doesn't like much meat - he'll still eat baby food sweet potato and chicken puree, but if he actually sees chicken he won't eat it. He does like bacon and pizza with just about anything on it, but those are the only way he eats meat. He's a big veggie and fruit eater, which is really nice in some ways.

We thought about trying to get him in as a 3 year old - he's certainly tall enough that people think he is 3 or 4 - but we're afraid he won't eat most of what is on the children's menus anyway. We're staying at concierge level and hoping he'll eat cereal or muffins and milk in the morning, and we've thought we may use a lot of our snack credits to buy him food, but we really aren't sure how this is going to work. He'd eat free at buffets, which in some ways would be perfect for Little Mr Picky, but we've currently got only one buffet planned since DH and I are not generally fans of buffets.

Still not sure what we're going to do...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter