Upgrading child dining to adult dining for free dining!

Princess Amy

Nurse by day. Disney Princess by night.
DS is 8 and currently under the child dining, obviously.

We will be visiting in August (hopefully taking advantage of the free dining :rolleyes1). If I wanted to upgrade my son to the adult dining, would I pay the difference of the child dining and the adult dining, since the child dining would be free? Just like if you wanted to upgrade to the Deluxe Dining, you just pay the difference. I'm not sure how this would work.

Can anyone answer this for me?

You must register the child as 10 years old and purchase an adult park ticket. You would pay the difference between the child park ticket and the adult park ticket, which will vary depending on the length of ticket you purchase, but is apparently between $30-50.

On our last trip we booked our 9 yo as a 10yo. She is not a big eater but gets very tired, very quickly with the nuggets and junk that is on the kids menus. As stated all we had to do was pay for an adult park ticket for her and since we had multi day tickets we only had to buy a one day ticket to get free DDP. The cost was about $10 extra.

BTW, she could still order off the kids menu if she wanted to. Which she did a few times but when she figured that she was getting jipped out of a dessert she went back to the adult menu. :rotfl:

I think what you would have to do is list him as 10, and pay for an adult ticket for him. I don't think there is that big of a price difference between the two classes of tickets. That should work!

We have upgdraded our DD10 for the past 3 years. She has finally turned 10 so we didn't have to do it this year :sad2:. When I booked the trip, I just explained to them, I wanted to upgrade her to an adult. They would put her in as a 10 year old. To upgrade the tickets was very minimal. She rarely ate more than 50% of the food (it's a lot of food) but she loved having all the choices!!:lovestruc.

we did it last trip for free dining and it was $31 to upgrade his park ticket
then this time we were going to pay OOP for the dining plan so we had no trouble bumping him back down to an 8 year old, then we got the free quick dining pin so we up graded him again and paid the $10 pp to upgrade us all to the reg dining plan and the ticket upgrade for him again.
The CM's had no problem at all with all those changes with the age up and down, infact the last CM said she had the same issue with her 9 yr old too

We have also done this on past trips and my daughter and I usually then share some meals she likes the variety but is not a huge eater .The portions are quite big even for a 10 year old

I got a free dining pin and upgraded my ds 8 to adult. We only bought 1 day tickets so it only cost about 12.00 to upgrade him for the whole week.

Just so you are aware if you list your child as 10, then according to Disney he will be that age from now on.

Just so you are aware if you list your child as 10, then according to Disney he will be that age from now on.
not true
we upped DS to 10 last Oct for free dining and then this trip coming up we told the CM we had done that and wanted to put him back and they did no problem, then when we got free dining again we asked if we could put him back up there, and she had no problem putting him back up.
Then after we added free dining for that trip and upped him, we put a deposit on a trip for late Sept if free dining is offered and they had no problem as putting him as 9 for that trip and said we can up him if free dining is offered
So in the disney computer he has gone up and down 5 times in the last 18 months with no trouble or even a second though

Looks like it would be $35 to upgrade him to adult. Seems worth it to me...:thumbsup2

It is, DS doen't know we have upgraded him again he thinks he is booked as an 8 year old, we have been using it as a bribe, We told him if he gets at least 80% on his next 3 spelling tests and keeps his room clean till our spring break on the 29th we will do it again lol he is very excited :rotfl:
he was even nice to his sister all weekend

We upgraded both our children 5 & 6. I wanted to make sure they had the option for normal food and not just chicken nuggets. It was great, only thing that is a little confusing is checking into the parks. Apparently Adults have to fingerprint and children do not and therefore our children had to fingerprint. Was slightly confusing for the attendants, but as soon as we realized it, we just prompted the kids and explained and we would go through. Kids loved having the option to choose anything they wanted. I think a lot of people do this, as the servers seemed as though it was an everyday occurrence. Never had any problems and in a couple of cases with breakfast buffets, we were encouraged to pay out of pocket for the kids and save there meals for later.

I don't think this is exactly right. We were told that we could re-age our children every year as long as we were not making them younger than they really are. I called to price a new vacation and was given the option to leave them at 10 or to bring them back to their normal age.

I've just tried to do this exact same thing but the CM said they cannot chnage the ages of my children? :confused3

It's so frustrating as when i booked i didn't really think about it, now they will be subjected to 2 weeks of chicken nuggets and burgers :mad:

Maybe i'll try ringing another time and try another CM....:sad2:

I've just tried to do this exact same thing but the CM said they cannot chnage the ages of my children? :confused3

It's so frustrating as when i booked i didn't really think about it, now they will be subjected to 2 weeks of chicken nuggets and burgers :mad:

Please let us know what you find out. TIA!

I'm wondering if it's a different policy for uk visitors? I know that as unfair as it is, they have different offers and "rules" for those traveling under the uk offers. I'd try another cm for sure, but it may not be an easy fix.

I'm going back and forth about upgrading DS8. He has a very adult palate, and out eats me on a daily basis. It's helped in the past to keep me from overeating if I'm giving half to him...but it may be a different story if he wants to eat his kids meal and all of my adult meal, too.;)

I'm wondering if it's a different policy for uk visitors? I know that as unfair as it is, they have different offers and "rules" for those traveling under the uk offers. I'd try another cm for sure, but it may not be an easy fix.

I hope you are correct. We upgraded DS9 last year & it was great!! He got enough to eat & enjoyed being able to pick what he wanted.

Well, I can only speak for our family, but we didn't have this issue. When our middle son was 8 we paid for the kids dining plan for him. His brother was 10 and an "adult." Our 8 yr old son was miserable with his food choices compared to his brothers. Plus, the portions while nice for kids say 7 and under, are pretty small for a tall 8 year old that likes to eat regular food. We ended up paying OOP for appetizers for him and I even shared some of my food. He was insanely jealous of his brother's menu choices.

The following year he was 9. I booked a package with the WDW travel company and I explained to the CM how I wanted to age him a year to purchase the adult deluxe dining plan and she told me that tons of families do that and it wasn't a problem. This was not free dining, so I don't know if it works differently for that. I just paid the adult ticket price and the adult Deluxe meal plan price for him. BTW, it was so worth it. What a peaceful week. ;)

The next year he really was 10 and when I called to book our trip, I explained to the CM that I had aged him the previous year and that he was really 10. She put his correct year of birth on the reservation without a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter