Upgrading at Check-in?

msr709

DISfan forever
I thought I read somewhere that they you could pay for an upgrade at check-in or boarding. Has anyone here had any experience with that? How does this work? I'm going with a couple that are very undecisive, on what category they want and I was wondering if instead of driving our TA crazy changing ressies, do this instead? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. This is the first cruise for the 3 of us and I'm in charge of the "details". TIA :cool1:

I have been on 3 cruises, and each and every one was sold out..Meaning, no room to upgrade...It can happen, but I believe it is by chance..And, you must be there to check-in as soon as it opens approx...10:30 am...

Moral of my story..Book the category you will be happy with, and if by chance you can upgrade, or get upgraded, then that is pixie dust..I would not worry about the TA, that is their job, and most requests are easily done.. :goodvibes

We have been on three cruises. We were only able to upgrade with one of them. Again, book what you will be comfortable with and then you can always see if there are any upgrades at the port.

I know if Disney upgrades you on their own, there is no additional charge. If you get to the port and ask to be upgraded, what do you pay? Do you pay the difference in what you would have paid if you had booked the higher category originally, or do you get a discount?

We were on the Sept. 24th sailing last week. No upgrades were available at port. It was a full ship. You better book what you want before getting to port. Or you may just be disappointed!

I wanted to upgrade at the port last cruise, I made the mistake of booking a Cat 11 and I put off upgrading and when I got to port it was to late..I was not happy in the Cat 11 and wouldn't take the chance on waiting to upgrade again if I booked that catagory (though that is just ME, others love the Cat 11's!)...but in 3 cruises there were no upgrades left on day of departure at all....

We were able to upgrade on the Dec 2004 10 day. It costs much less. We booked what we would be happy with, but for a few hundred dollars we were able to upgrade to a porthole. (cat 11 to 9) You can check DCL web site for reservations and tell if staterooms are available and in what category. Arrive at the port at 10 am, go directly to the far end counter on your left as you enter. This is where the supervisors are stationed that can sell you upgrades if there are any.

Someone tell me if what I should do. I booked a cat. 12. I figured if I could upgrade at a lesser cost, great. If not, who cares. When I travel rooms do not mean a lot to me. We spend little to no time in them. I am talking just to shower, change and sleep. At WDW, I usually splurge for a Deluxe Resort because of the extra on site activities outside of the room. On the cuise, these activities will be the same for everyone regardless of the category. Space will not be as much an issue for me because I am traveling with only my 8 year old daughter. AS for just sitting and watching the ocean go by, I think I would much rather sit on one of the decks and combine that with a little people watching. One of my favorite things about vacationing is getting to meet and talk to other people. If I wanted to sit alone, I would stay home and not answer the phone or door.

Going into this with that attitude, am I going to be satisfied with a category 12.

You should be just fine with you and your daughter...we had 3 in a cat 11 and I felt like I was in a dungeon and we were tripping all over each other the whole time!

My advice is take the money you would pay for an upgrade it use it as a deposit for your next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter