Upgrades

Like to Dis

Wish we were there!!!!!
I have been reading a lot about upgrades and would like to know if there are any tricks to getting upgraded or do you have to pay for them at the pier. We are currently in a cat 11 and thought about upgrading to an outside cabin. Any input would be appreciated!!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Since you are new, and may have recently read my post about getting upgraded, I will jump in here....

With DCL, nobody seems to know any rhyme or reason to upgrades!!! Upgrades are usually pretty rare on DCL. You have read about some upgrades recently and this is probably because it is September, a slow season. During any busier time of the year, DCL ships seem to sail booked solid. Not much room for upgrades.

If you are sailing during a slow season, then it does seem like the Cat11, or Cat11gtys seem to have a chance of being upgraded to a Porthole stateroom??????

Most people say, book the room that you will be comfortable with.... You simply should not count on an upgrade. If they come along, they are like pixie-dust!!! :D

Thanks for the info. We are sailing on November 30, 03 and booked a cat. 11. The first 2 cruise we took (before children) we had verandas, but we figured with 2 kids, 7 & 3 we wouldn't be in the room much. Also we were concerned with our 3 year old and a balcony. Just wondering how the upgrade thing worked as this is our first "Disney Cruise". We go to Disney a couple times a year so we thought a cruise might be fun this time. We also just became Vacation club members so I'm sure we will do this again.
Thanks again!!!!!!:cool:

As a DVC Member, let me be the first here to give you a hardy "Welcome Home". When you are not planning your cruise please join us on the DVC board for a little chatting too.

As for upgrades, if you are one of the lucky few, Disney will notify your travel agent of your upgrade or if you booked your cruise online, they will call you. Some people have found out when they received thier cruise documents and the room number wasn't the room they booked, but a higher catagory cabin.

Like Wishing said - upgrades do not happen often. They do seem to happen more often in Sept, but even then you should book the catagory you want.

Again welcome to the DIS Cruise Board. and Welcome Home to DVC.

Well thank you for that welcome home!!!!!!! I actually found this forum through the DVC forum. I still have many questions about our new purchase so I'm sure I will be posting again.....
Thanks again everyone, these boards are very informative.:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

From reading this board, it seems like EVERYONE has received an upgrade! We can't all be traveling off-season.

We're going on our first cruise in November. We booked a category 11, and we DID already receive an upgrade to a category 9. So we've been upgraded on 100% of our cruises!

Originally posted by MrsPete
From reading this board, it seems like EVERYONE has received an upgrade! We can't all be traveling off-season.

We're going on our first cruise in November. We booked a category 11, and we DID already receive an upgrade to a category 9. So we've been upgraded on 100% of our cruises!

Mrs. Pete you are one lucky woman:teeth: If I had your luck I would start playing the lottery! I can tell you that everyone does not recieve an upgrade although at times it sure sounds like it. My family has been on three cruises with DCL and we have never been upgraded nor do I expect one to happen in the future. We always book a Cat. 5 or 6 and do the Magic. On the Wonder and at the lower cabins (espcecially cat 11) upgrades seem to happen more often espcecially in off season. Enjoy your pixie dust but do remember it is always best to book the cabin you will be happy with, upgrades really are much more rare than they appear of late. :)

Ha! Ann, you obviously have not been to Vegas with me! However, I do feel very lucky to have received an upgrade for our upcoming cruise. We would have been thrilled just to be on the ship, but this is better!

Details that may have affected our upgrade: We booked fairly early, GTY cabin category 11 booked through AAA, it's my husband's 40th birthday, first time cruisers, sailing in early November, paid in full at the time of booking . . . and as you said: just plain luck.

One more thing to add to those details that may have affected our upgrade: We're a party of four. Not all category 11s can hold four people.

I received an upgrade!

My DH and I are going on a 3 day Nov.6, 2003. We booked a cat. 11 gty and the day after I paid my balance we were upgraded. I didn't receive a phone call or anything. I just checked our ressie on the website and there it was........room 2552.......cat. 9!!!! yippeeee Yippppeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Can't wait to cruise!

On what website did you check your ressie? I would just like to check in on mine, too!

you can check your ressie on their website. If you used a travel agent or DVC your ressie will not show up on their site though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter