• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrades???????

MickeyOCD

Mouseketeer
Just wondering what you guys think. My 7 day cruise (9/12) has quite a few vacancies left, and others on my cruise are being offered upgrades for a price ($300 to go from a cat 9 to a cat 6). They haven't taken the deal. If and/or when they get to me (cat 11) what kind of price should I look at being a good deal or since my cruise isn't full should I just wait and hope for Pixie Dust?

We are a family of 4, and will be happy with the cat. 11 we booked, but would sure love some Pixie Dust!

It has been my experience that paid upgrades at the port seem to cost about $50 per cabin type per day of cruise. They look at it as inside cabins, window cabins, balcony cabins, cat 4, etc. They don't separate out 8 vs 9 when pricing upgrades. The costs for the in advance offers seem to be about the same. Upgrades are by cabin, not by number of people except that you can't put 4 people in a 3 person cabin!

For example, we paid $411 to go from an inside to a balcony on a 4 day (2 type increase), $288 from an inside to window on a 7 day, $6?? from an inside to balcony on a 7 day. We were offered an inside to a cat 4 for $1400 on a 7 day which I turned down.

The difference seems to be that when people get calls about purchasing upgrades in advance they are in "round" figures--like it would be $300 rather than $288.

Hope this helps.....

We were contacted ahead of time and were able to upgrade from cat 12 to cat 8. We had 4 people in our group so we would have had the cat 11. We paid 150.00.

Another question about upgrades:

Since I booked through a TA, would Disney call me directly or would they call my TA, who would then call me?

I have a Cat. 9 for the 9/26 sailing and would love to upgrade to a Cat. 6 for $300 if that was offered to me!

Another question about upgrades:

Since I booked through a TA, would Disney call me directly or would they call my TA, who would then call me?

I have a Cat. 9 for the 9/26 sailing and would love to upgrade to a Cat. 6 for $300 if that was offered to me!

Offer of paid upgrade via TA.

If free upgrade will show on your DCL website 'my reservation' part, might get a call via TA.

We are also booked 09/12, my DH, & DSD, inside, on DVC pts, has anyone been called for an upgrade, using dVC pts?

I've checked on the DCL website and the difference between what is paid for a Cat 9 (what I have) and a cat 6 (Lowest acceptable Upgrade) is about $500 for 7-day cruise in October. If contacted, I'd gladly pay half that to lock in an upgrade. But, any more than that and I'd take my chance at either a free upgrade or staying in the cabin I booked.

We are also booked 09/12, my DH, & DSD, inside, on DVC pts, has anyone been called for an upgrade, using dVC pts?

I don't know about that but come on over to our meet thread (can't post the link). There are a great bunch of people on this cruise. You missed the deadline for a couple of the things we're doing but there's still time for other stuff. We're having a DisMeet on embarkation day,you could go to that and meet some of your fellow Disers on the cruise. Hope to see you on the other thread!

Thanks everyone for your replies, you've given me something to think about.

I just went to DCL to see if our cruise price has gone down (something I check every once in a while) and when I went to pick my room, it states:

"Did you Know? You can upgrade this stateroom to the next available category for just $5.00 per person per day"

I've never seen that noted before....interesting.

I just went to DCL to see if our cruise price has gone down (something I check every once in a while) and when I went to pick my room, it states:

"Did you Know? You can upgrade this stateroom to the next available category for just $5.00 per person per day"

I've never seen that noted before....interesting.

I have seen it many times - at every cruise booking website but Disney. The idea, obviously, is to try to convince you to pay a bit more for a higher category. If you compare prices, you'll find there is really no difference between the per person, per day upgrade price and what you were initially quoted for the next room up.

Come to think of it, I've even seen the same thing on rental car websites...

Val, I don't think how you paid for the cruise (or booked) has any affect on who gets offered the upgrades...they always appear to be VERY random.

See you on the ship is FIVE WEEKS! :woohoo:

Sister and I are discussing the possibility of asking about upgrades available at port. Since we are sharing the cost, dividing an upgrade charge in half makes it all the more tempting.

Hmmmmm......would I spend about $375 of my own money to go from a six to a three? Might be my only shot at a suite, so I'm thinking it's possible......

Jackie, if she won't upgrade with I will. Do you think she would mind sharing a cabin with a man she doesn't know and 2 kids? :lmao:
it would be a heck of an upgrade for me (ahhh, peace and quiet) :rolleyes:

Val, I don't think how you paid for the cruise (or booked) has any affect on who gets offered the upgrades...they always appear to be VERY random.

See you on the ship is FIVE WEEKS! :woohoo:

Sister and I are discussing the possibility of asking about upgrades available at port. Since we are sharing the cost, dividing an upgrade charge in half makes it all the more tempting.

Hmmmmm......would I spend about $375 of my own money to go from a six to a three? Might be my only shot at a suite, so I'm thinking it's possible......

Jackie, if she won't upgrade with I will. Do you think she would mind sharing a cabin with a man she doesn't know and 2 kids? :lmao:
it would be a heck of an upgrade for me (ahhh, peace and quiet) :rolleyes:

ok let's make this work...I'll ditch Monica (haha just kidding) and join you, what's my share :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Moncia: Shall we see what it would be for US to upgrade to the 3???

Ok me, you & Jackie will split the cat. 3, Diane can move in with Monica & my DH can deal with the kids by himself ( :rotfl2: ) in steerage. Sounds like a plan to me and that upgrade would only cost us $250 each. I can live with that! :rotfl:

ok let's make this work...I'll ditch Monica (haha just kidding) and join you, what's my share :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Moncia: Shall we see what it would be for US to upgrade to the 3???

Using a recently suggested formula for port upgrades of $50 per level per day. 1)11 to ocean view, 2)ocen view to verandah, 3)verandah to Cat 4 family stateroom, 4)Cat 4 to Cat 3 = 4 level increase $200 per day = $1400 minimum upgrade cost.

Ok me, you & Jackie will split the cat. 3, Diane can move in with Monica & my DH can deal with the kids by himself ( :rotfl2: ) in steerage. Sounds like a plan to me and that upgrade would only cost us $250 each. I can live with that! :rotfl:

.....don't tempt me......

.....poor Monica......

:upsidedow

Using a recently suggested formula for port upgrades of $50 per level per day. 1)11 to ocean view, 2)ocen view to verandah, 3)verandah to Cat 4 family stateroom, 4)Cat 4 to Cat 3 = 4 level increase $200 per day = $1400 minimum upgrade cost.

.....don't tempt me......

.....poor Monica......

:upsidedow

Monica, it's not that I don't love you, I just love a cat 3 more :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hey let's not forget Karl and Robin are cat 3, we are planning on storming in on them at some point too :dance3::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Party in Cat 3 :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: (that's a dancing banana rum btw ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter