Upgraded at Art of Animation?

disney is my life

DIS Veteran
I have read about people who went they check in at their resort are sometimes offered free upgrades during the off season. for example if they were staying in a regular room at a deluxe they can be upgraded to club level. I was wondering if anyone who has booked a Little Mermaid room at AoA has ever been upgraded to a family suite at check in? I know even if they do it it's hit and miss so im not expecting it im just curios if it ever happens?

We were upgrade at AoA in December (17th I think). Driving down we usually stop halfway in Valdosta, GA but made really good time and decided to try and drive through. When we got to Gainesville, I called central res and booked the cheapest room I could find and the had a mermaid room available. When we checked in at 11pm for our one night before going to DAK lodge, she said our room was not assigned, called room assigned and we were upgraded to a cars family suite! Probably the first and only upgrade I will ever get at Disney (got one on the Magic and a Princess cruise), my two boys were over the moon and no longer want to stay a our usual deluxes!

I don't expect it to happen, but I would be so happy if it did. I do know that there are no LM rooms available on the website for the dates we are going, and we plan to get there in the morning...

disney is my life said:
I have read about people who went they check in at their resort are sometimes offered free upgrades during the off season. for example if they were staying in a regular room at a deluxe they can be upgraded to club level. I was wondering if anyone who has booked a Little Mermaid room at AoA has ever been upgraded to a family suite at check in? I know even if they do it it's hit and miss so im not expecting it im just curios if it ever happens?

You can ask the question a hundred different ways, but it is the same answer.

Don't expect to get something someone else already paid for; you set yourself up for unrealistic expectations and failure by expecting something you may never get.

You are not the first that says they are curious, do not expect it, but just wonder if it is possible. You have to wonder, or you would not have asked.

Of course it's possible, and does happen, but that chances of it happening specifically to you are based on a ton of different factors that won't be determined until you arrive.

If you're going to get upgraded, the upgrade has to be available for your entire trip, so it's more likely for shorter stays. Hence, the example above about one night.

The best advice I've heard on this is to book the room category you will be happy in (in terms of space and amenities and price). Years ago, we booked a standard view room at AKL and ended up outside the giraffe feeding station. It was not a savannah view, as we only had the giraffes at feeding times, and it certainly wasn't a pool view, but it was about as nice a standard view as a person could hope for, and we felt as if it was practically a free upgrade over the parking lot view we expected (and paid for!). But if you want a suite, wait for a sale and book one, is my advice.

It happened to DH and me for a one night stay. We were upgraded to a Cars suite from a LM room. I would love to believe it was bc it was our anniversary trip like the CM made it seem, but it's probably bc they oversold the LM rooms. Haha! At any rate, it was nice pixie dust that I didn't expect :-)

I realize this is an old thread that somehow resurfaced but figured I would answer anyway. We were upgraded from a LM room to a Lion King suite. We arrived late at night, and when we got to our LM room, housekeeping had left a carpet cleaning machine in there and there was a VERY strong chemical cleaning smell, like bleach or something. I called to the front desk to ask for a different room because there was no way we could sleep in there with the fumes. We were given the complimentary suite upgrade (which I didn't expect but very much appreciated after the time spent getting this issue sorted out!) I am not sure if they were just out of LM rooms since it was so late at night or if it was a guest recovery type deal.

We were upgraded from a LM room to a Lion King suite a few years ago. We were told they had overbooked.

We were upgraded to a Nemo suite last fall. But it was because I was 7 months pregnant and the manager didn't want me to have to waddle all the way out to the Litttle Mermaid section after a long day at the parks. We were only staying 1 night after checking out of the GF. Flew out the next day.

I will say the service at AoA is some of the best on property. We stayed there twice for one night each on our last trip and were blown away by the service. Rivals the GF. The general manager must be very good.

Yes!!! It happened to us Dec 2014. No rhyme or reason. I was checking in.....two weeks over Christmas at AoA Little Mermaid section. It was about 2 in the afternoon. The CM said my room wasn't ready yet. I told him, no big deal. He says, let me check if there is another room available in that section. Upon he returning, he simply asked me if I would like a free upgrade to a Cars Suite. I was floored....TWO WEEKS FOR FREE??? OVER CHRISTMAS??? It was magical!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter