Upgrade, what if....

jnadelman

DIS Veteran
Our cruise is still 15 months away so I'm not worried about this, and knowing my luck I would never get an upgrade, but I do have a question.
We really want a mid ship room and have one booked. What if they gives us an upgrade and it is for a forward or aft room? Do we just take it and hope for the best? Can we turn it down and say we don't want it? Would that be the stupid?

you can turn it down (if you have a TA, let them know in advance that you prefer to stay midship just in case they get a call at the last minute and can't reach you). But I personally wouldn't turn it down unless you are really really concerned about motion sickness in the aft or forward locations.

We where upgraded once and didn't really like the room as we where under beat street and on our previous cruise it kept the kids up. I called Disney, who I had booked with, and asked if it was possible to have the same catagory but in a different room away from the clubs. I explained how it kept the kids up last time and she placed me on hold and came back and had moved us up another catagory and to another location. The room was perfect as it was quite and right near the stairs and Ocean quest. We loved it! It never hurts to ask and see what will happen.

You can refuse an upgrade. I got a call from my TA and was told that we had been "offered" an upgrade and had 24 hours to accept or decline. On another cruise, we found out at the port that we had been upgraded--I probably could have declined at that point, but certainly didn't want to.

Don't get too excited--this is 2 upgrades in 17 cruises on the Magic. Most of our cruises have been "off season."

i was just worried that we could show up at the port and find out that we were upgraded, and that our original room was given to someone else already.

Do you think they might lean toward repeat cruisers for upgrades?

I don't think upgrades favor repeat cruisers--in fact, this is one of the complaints that have been made at CC receptions. Many other lines do favor "repeaters," but on a typical DCL cruise there is a huge percentage of repeaters.

Our upgrades were all many cruises ago--haven't seen any recently. On our last cruise we were not upgraded but our friends (cruise 2 for them) were. Our reservations were NOT linked.

The bottom line is to book a category where you will be happy. If you are upgraded, enjoy the pixie dust!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter