"upgrade' to pirate rooms... anything that can be done?

I would not like it because as others have said full vs queen. And also Preferred rooms are closer to the main areas. Her brother was downgraded.

Kae

Technically a standard view is the SAME rate as a preferred and a water view is more than preferred. So no, in Disney's eyes it's a lateral move.

Technically a standard view is the SAME rate as a preferred and a water view is more than preferred. So no, in Disney's eyes it's a lateral move.

Not quite. Preferred rooms are around $60 a night more than standard rooms. A Pirate room costs about $5 more a night than a preferred room.

Still it boils down to putting a tutu on a pig and charging more for it.

At CBR the rooms are priced from lowest to highest:

Standard View
King Bed
Water or Pool View
Preferred & Pirate Standard View
Pirate Water View

At CBR the rooms are priced from lowest to highest:

Standard View
King Bed
Water or Pool View
Preferred & Pirate Standard View
Pirate Water View

So preferred and Pirate standard are the same price. I don't think it's right that the front desk called it an upgrade.

Yup, preferred and pirate standard view rooms are the same exact price every time I price out my June & July trips.

I honestly would be REALLY ticked if that happened to us... Mostly because we booked a king room. If I got stuck with 2 double beds when I paid extra for a king I'd be very mad. (And your brother DID book two QUEENS, not doubles). I wouldn't have accepted it in the first place, but only because I'm familiar with them doing this to people and offering it as an "upgrade" when it's not. Many people would be unaware of the double beds and the distance until they got into their room. I think it's perfectly acceptable to expect them to change your room.

It doesn't matter if they are the same price, the amenities are completely different. Theming/long walk/double beds. vs. queen beds/short walk is not the same thing no matter the price.

Last edited:
Yup, preferred and pirate standard view rooms are the same exact price every time I price out my June & July trips.

Maybe the Pirate room they want to give them is a water view? Those are a smidge more expensive. Just a smidge.

Maybe the Pirate room they want to give them is a water view? Those are a smidge more expensive. Just a smidge.

My Pirate Water View room also included a view of POP Century.
I was actually closer to the POP food court than the CBR food court. :rolleyes:

Now that the rest of CBR has Queen beds and new decor, the Pirate rooms are more than ever a downgrade. They had filed a permit to do something to them, but so far I've not heard any reports of what.

Reactions: Kae
He gave up after being told again there were no preferred rooms available. He didn't want to deal with it. Heck their bus driver even got lost going back to the hotel from a park and ended up in celebration (I am guessing brother just said it was "in town somewhere"). I wouldn't give up so easily, but to each their own. I would have asked to go to POR or similar and yes 2 kids so those queen beds would have been preferred.

He gave up after being told again there were no preferred rooms available. He didn't want to deal with it. Heck their bus driver even got lost going back to the hotel from a park and ended up in celebration (I am guessing brother just said it was "in town somewhere"). I wouldn't give up so easily, but to each their own. I would have asked to go to POR or similar and yes 2 kids so those queen beds would have been preferred.

Make sure he sends them an e-mail once he gets home. They shouldn't be forcing supposed upgrades on people. I'd say if you want to upgrade, upgrade me to the Wilderness Lodge, or something comparable.

Unacceptable! I would definitely not give up!! We just stayed at CBR and we were in Aruba (no complaints) but we took a walk over to the pirate rooms and they are super far away and across the road (how can they call that an upgrade)????

Well, since he doesn't want to really try it, that means it isn't bothering him that much.

Complaining after the fact is OK, but it's not anywhere near as useful as actually going there in person. To me, the queen beds is the real kicker. It's not the cost, it's the bed space. (although my family had no issues with it)

He obviously doesn't care as much as you do or as much as most here do about it.

Oh he cared he was shot down twice and his wife told him to give up. They only had 5 days and were not going to spend more time with people trying to convince them it was an upgrade. He is not as squeaky of a wheel as I would have been!

I have been lucky enough to have a couple of 'upgrades' while staying at Disney and most of the time we have been okay and even excited about them but the one time it put a bad taste in my mouth was a few years ago at Coronado Springs. My husband and I were staying for a long weekend to take advantage of our annual passes during Food and Wine as they were going to expire the next month. I booked a King bed...we didn't care about the view and this was right at the beginning of King beds being a bookable category at the moderates and not just a request. We check in and all is well. We walk to our room and I was SO excited because of the location and the view since we were right on the water. Before walking in I thought oh my gosh we got sooo lucky with our view, as booking king bed it is luck of the draw with views. Then we walked in and I see two beds...um...why didn't they say anything when we checked in? Now, I am the type of person who doesn't send food back and really doesn't complain at all (I am working on not being such a push over...). So I called the 'front desk' (at this point I wasn't on the DIS and didn't realize it's not really the front desk) and explained the situation where we booked a king bed and were given a water view. She responds yes I see that...you are lucky you were upgraded to a water view...there aren't any king beds available this weekend. I said it's not an upgrade if it was the same price to book a king bed and a water view room. Standard view was available when I booked and if king bed was not an option and water view was I would have booked a standard view room. She kept trying to say that I was upgraded and I kept trying to say no we weren't...yes it is a beautiful room but I would have been okay with a standard view over paying for a water view. I even said I would move to a standard room. She said the hotel was at capacity and that there weren't any other rooms available. She put me on hold and came back saying you can stay in the room and we will charge you for a standard room. I was very thankful for the situation being fixed but I was more annoyed that I wasn't told when I checked in. Honestly, if they had said something when we checked in that our room wasn't a king bed but they did put us in a nice water view room in a good location to make up for it, I probably would have been okay with it. I was just annoyed I had to take the 40 minutes on the phone do try and figure out what happened. The lesson I learned before leaving the front desk is to double check that I received the view/room I booked (haven't had an issue with this since the direct to room process has begun...I have always received what I booked since that started...but who knows...I'm sure it will happen again...or maybe that's why they now text people to come to the front desk?).

Oh he cared he was shot down twice and his wife told him to give up. They only had 5 days and were not going to spend more time with people trying to convince them it was an upgrade. He is not as squeaky of a wheel as I would have been!

Not saying he didn't care. Just saying he's didn't care as much as others might.

She put me on hold

Never ever call the "front desk". You aren't talking to anyone even near the resort and they might not even be in Florida.

Go to the front desk. They still might not be able to help, but they know more than the call center people do.

Not saying he didn't care. Just saying he's didn't care as much as others might.

Never ever call the "front desk". You aren't talking to anyone even near the resort and they might not even be in Florida.

Go to the front desk. They still might not be able to help, but they know more than the call center people do.

I know that...this is what I said...So I called the 'front desk' (at this point I wasn't on the DIS and didn't realize it's not really the front desk). I was born and raised in Winter Park, FL so we always had annual passes but hadn't stayed at the hotels since I was younger since it was such a quick drive. This was back in 2012 when I still lived there and had recently graduated from college. I didn't need to get my Disney fix online because I could quickly drive there. Now that I don't live in Florida anymore I need things like the DIS to get my Disney fix and have learned quite a few things from doing so...

Those darn pirate rooms - how unfortunate for your brother. I hate when they try to sell them, like, Ooooo, well, we don't have any of what you are looking for, but we have these PIRATE rooms!!! Someone who didn't know better would jump at that, not realizing they are getting the shaft. They need to make those rooms cheaper or do SOMETHING more to incentive-ize them. Disney, quit tricking people into thinking they are getting an upgrade when they are really getting exiled! :sad2: They may be a little bit cute, but unless a family has no interest whatsoever in the food court, main pool, gift shop, concierge, etc, they stink!

They need to make those rooms cheaper or do SOMETHING more to incentive-ize them. Disney, quit tricking people into thinking they are getting an upgrade when they are really getting exiled! :sad2: They may be a little bit cute, but unless a family has no interest whatsoever in the food court, main pool, gift shop, concierge, etc, they stink!
I'm pretty sure the whole reason they exist was to counter mass vacancy in the furthest buildings. Disney enlisted the marketing department to try to create interest in the furthest building(s).

The princess rooms at POR follow a similar pattern.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason they exist was to counter mass vacancy in the furthest buildings. Disney enlisted the marketing department to try to create interest in the furthest building(s).

The princess rooms at POR follow a similar pattern.

Yes but POR is a good bit smaller than CBR. I'd jump at the chance to take my daughter to a Princess room. Pirate room in the boondocks? No thanks.

Someone on another thread posted that they stood their ground and got upgraded to the Grand Floridian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter