Upgrade tickets to annual passes

foxfire79k

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

We are thinking of taking a second trip to Disney world this year and were considering upgrading our tickets (part of Stay, Play, Dine package) to annual passes. Just one problem- both agents I spoke to informed me that I can make the change when we check in on our first trip-but we will lose all of our fastpasses!! However I have a friend that did the upgrade (tickets only) and says she did not lose her Fastpasses. Anyone have experience with upgrading tickets? Did you lose your fastpasses?

I bought tickets from UT and made all of my FP+ selections at the 60-day mark. Then once I got to the parks, I upgraded the tickets to an AP and I didn't lose any of my FP+s. I don't know if it matters, but I did use the tickets once before I upgraded them (so I could take advantage of price bridging).

Wouldn't you wait until the last day of your trip to upgrade anyway?

That way you wouldn't lose any of your fast passes.

I did it last year as although we're from the UK I booked via a US travel agent. I had a two day MYW ticket and upgraded as soon as we arrived to an AP. I didn't use the MYW ticket but redeemed its value from the AP. I didn't lose any fastpasses.

You wouldn't get any of the AP perks until you upgrade. For my family, the discounts are useful, so we wanted to upgrade early in the trip.

I'd prob use tickets to get into the park, on first day, then on your way out stop in to Guest Services and upgrade.

That's what I wanted to do - but both CMs told me that if I waited to upgrade, I'd lose some of my ticket value that would be applied to the cost of the annual pass. Do you know if that's true?

That's what I wanted to do - but both CMs told me that if I waited to upgrade, I'd lose some of my ticket value that would be applied to the cost of the annual pass. Do you know if that's true?

That is correct, use the ticket once and way out up grade. Or better still do it before you go through the gates. You will get the full credit towards the AP. You won't lose your FP. That what we did the first time we did it. Just my views. :goodvibes

That is correct, use the ticket once and way out up grade. Or better still do it before you go through the gates. You will get the full credit towards the AP. You won't lose your FP. That what we did the first time we did it. Just my views. :goodvibes

If you bought through ut or another discounter you want to go through the gate once so your ticket is brought up in value to the full price. For example (just making up numbers) if you bought your tickets for $450 at Ut and the full price is $500, if you upgrade before you enter the gates you will only get $450 in credit toward the annual pass. If you wait until you get in you get $500.
Op we did this in sept. We did not lose any fp+ selections. Just figure the math out ahead of time so you know how much you are suppose to pay. The cm forgot to bring out tickets to full value. Also, it doesn't matter when during the trip you upgrade you still get the full value of the ticket, however your ap is backdated to the first use of the original ticket and you don't get the ap discount during the time you don't have the ticket (obviously)

I bought tickets from UT and made all of my FP+ selections at the 60-day mark. Then once I got to the parks, I upgraded the tickets to an AP and I didn't lose any of my FP+s. I don't know if it matters, but I did use the tickets once before I upgraded them (so I could take advantage of price bridging).

I did this 3 weeks ago and had no issue.

My AP has a date of 11/9. Next Nov. will I be able to use it on the 9th?

We too are going in February and are thinking about upgrading our tickets to AP's. But since we are doing the SPD package, how do I find out how much our tickets will be worth?

My mother upgraded her 2 day ticket to a FL AP on our second day at the parks last week and did not lose her FP+. I upgraded myself and boys as well to non resident APs and we did not lose our FP+ for the day. Also, we were credited full value of the 2 day ticket for each AP, even though we used both days prior to the upgrade. We waited till the second day since my mother upgraded to a seasonal pass and we were there during blackout dates for the seasonal pass.

No, that's not true. And I want to add that phone CMs don't necessarily understand all the ins-and-outs of Disneyworld tickets. When upgrading to AP, Disney will give you a credit for all the days on your MYW tickets, whether you have used them first or not. But in trade for that MYW total $$ credit, your new AP will be dated to the first day you used your MYW ticket. So there's no reason to wait til the last day to upgrade to AP. It'll still be dated to the first day of MYW ticket use. There are also discounts and perks associated with having an AP. If you wait til the end of your park visits to upgrade, you lose any discounts you could have been entitled to.

I did this 3 weeks ago and had no issue.

My AP has a date of 11/9. Next Nov. will I be able to use it on the 9th?
Yes, 11/9/15 is your last park entry date for your AP.
We too are going in February and are thinking about upgrading our tickets to AP's. But since we are doing the SPD package, how do I find out how much our tickets will be worth?
Disney does itemize costs for room, dining, and tickets when you purchase a package. Some packages seem to imply a dining discount. Others imply a ticket discount. These are marketing campaigns, and not connected to real numbers. Your tickets are worth Disney current gate price, which was last increased on Feb 23, 2014. But, if there happens to be a price increase before you upgrade, your tickets will be worth today's price, and not worth the increased price. You would owe the price increase.

Here's a page from Disney's website listing tickets and options, plus tax. Just plug in the number of adults, number of children age 3-9, number of park days, and any ticket options. You'll get the total ticket cost with tax, and that will be the amount you will be credited with when upgrading. Though there are price differences between adult and child MYW tickets, the AP price is exactly the same for children as for adult. AP prices can be found on a further page.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter