Upgrade question

calngavinsmom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I really value the experience and knowledge on this board.....especially while trying to plan my first ever cruise :cool1: Well, technically this is a second attempt because we had to cancel our February cruise halfway through our "Dream" vacation (we were doing 4 nights at the world and 3 on the dream) when our diabetic little one got violently ill with a stomach bug :sick:

But anyway, we are rebooked to try again in October and I have a question for you all. I have read on this board that some people have received free "surprise" upgrades. I am concerned about this not because I want one, but because I really do not. We have an AFT balcony room booked and really don't want to be moved to a cabin on the side of the boat, even if it is considered an upgrade.

I have called DCL twice to try to get a "No Upgrade Please" put on our ressie and both times have been told that I don't need to do that that they only upgrade your cabin if you book a GTY room and since I have a room number assigned to me, it will not change.

Is this right? And if not, what should I do? I really don't want to be moved but I don't want to keep harassing them about putting on a request that they apparently don't think I will need :confused3

Thanks for any advice o wise ones :flower3:

I've never tried to do it, but the general suggestion is to request "no upgrade." I think upgrades from selected staterooms are fairly rare, but it does happen. If it's that important to you, I'd keep trying until a phone CM will do it - maybe respond with "please humor me and make the notation anyway."

Sorry your little one was so ill! Enjoy your second-chance cruise!

Another example of a DCL CSR who doesn't know what they are talking about! We have been upgraded twice. Both times we had selected room numbers. When you think about how DCL sells GTYs, there is actually a lesser chance of getting an upgrade the later you book. If they sell you a cat 8 for $4000 on opening day, the price for that room could increase to $6000 or more before the cruise sails. If the cat 8s sell out and they have only cat 4s to sell at $9000 each that price will turn away many, but if they open up cat 8s to sell by moving you out of your $4000 room to sell it to someone else for $6000 they are ahead and have one less empty room onboard. They also have an extra happy guest with an upgrade.

Ok, then if I have booked the cat 11c GTY because I want the magical porthole, can I turn down the upgrade when I get it? I think the only circumstances I would take an upgrade is if I was upgraded to a verandah cabin. I doubt they will put a " no upgrade please, unless it is a verandah room" om my res.:confused3

Rogue1230 said:
Ok, then if I have booked the cat 11c GTY because I want the magical porthole, can I turn down the upgrade when I get it? I think the only circumstances I would take an upgrade is if I was upgraded to a verandah cabin. I doubt they will put a " no upgrade please, unless it is a verandah room" om my res.:confused3

Put no upgrade please or risk an upgrade. Your choice

We were in the same situation a couple of years ago. We had booked a specific aft cabin on the Dream. With no notice to us, they moved us to a side facing verandah cabin and called it an upgrade, using the "white wall verandah" reason. We didn't even find out until the docs arrived and the cabin number on the luggage tags was not correct. We did not think that it was an upgrade because the "white wall verandah" only comes up about 1 foot on the Dream, and we had booked the specific cabin for the larger balcony. We called them and explained we did not want the upgrade and insisted they move us back. They moved us back to our previously selected room with no arguments. I also had them put "do not upgrade" notes on the other reservations that we had at that time. Those ones were not upgraded as requested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter