Upgrade Opinions? Pop -> POFQ

Nie0214

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I have a mini-trip scheduled Feb 1-3, currently I am staying at POP. I've been to Disney many times, but only have stayed at ASMu/ASMo.

I just received notice of my annual bonus, and well, it's a lot more than I thought it would be.. so now I'm debating if I should splurge and upgrade to a Moderate while the price is right. :)

I'd like some opinions on POFQ, there's not much to find around here!

We upgraded from POP to POR in Dec and loved it. Ours was a "no kids" trip and just to relax (as you mentioned). We spent time at POFQ and loved that resort too. Very relaxing. Friendly staff and bus transportation was excellent.

Our favorites were...
Boat ride to DTD
Many more adults at these resorts.
Bob the Piano Guy at POR
Resort hopping to veiw decor

I'd recommend the switch if you can do it. :thumbsup2

Last April we did a split stay with 4 days at POFQ and 2 at Pop. We had an awful experience there. To begin with the lost our reservation and we had to waitfor them to "find" us a room. Told at first we may have to stay somewhere else, Even though we had paperwork where our reservation was paid in full for that resort. After nearly 2 hours of waiting they "found" us a room. This was inconvenient due to plane delay and arriving a Midnight. Told to come back in the mourning to fix package error and get tickets. This lead to us being late to ADR. They later lost our package sent from the parks which I just happened to find by someone seeing us and saying he had our ride photos and frame. Then when we transfered to POP POFQ was late sending our luggage (much later than promised time). Our stay at Pop was great as usual. We really wanted to try a moderate but for the near future will stick with the value we trust.

Well, this is kind of a tough question.

If it were me, I think I would choose to upgrade to the moderate. If I were going to Disney and not going to the parks, I would definitely would want to make sure that I was staying at a resort that was nothing short of great. POFQ is quieter, smaller, and has a more accessible food court/bus station than POP.

On the other hand, you may not want a quiet resort since you're not going to the parks. I know for me, POFQ was nice because it was a break from the crowds at the parks. For you, you may want a more energetic atmosphere at your hotel since you won't experience the parks.

But it's up to you: My suggestion-- If you're looking for quiet and relaxation, go to POFQ. If you're looking for more crowds and energy, go to POP. Hope that helps.

my fam and I LOVE POFQ.....its small, so everything is close by, the theming is great, and they have beignets!!!!! haha

and I second the boat ride and the nighttime entertainment.....there is a nice band at POFQ near the weekend nights....

No question - do it! We really liked POFQ. The theme is really fun (even though we live near New Orleans!) and we loved the boat ride to DTD. Since you won't be visiting the parks, there will be more for you to do since you'll have easy access to POR and restaurants POP doesn't offer.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great trip, but IMO, I'd pick POFQ!

Happy planning! :flower3:

Here are a couple of links for information about POFQ:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975035

http://portorleans.org/

We will have our first stay at POFQ in a couple of weeks...really looking forward to it from all that I have read on here! That being said, we have stayed at Pop and loved that resort, too. I think it does come down to the theming....do you want the fun, bright atmosphere of Pop or the more laid back, relaxing atmosphere of POFQ?

Hope the links help you decide!

Pam :)

Hi -

I've stayed at POP and POFQ and POR and CBR (whew!). A couple things:
1). The music in the background at the POFQ pool drove me absolutely bananas. It was New Orleans blues (reminded me of the stuff they show on TV when they are showing a New Orleans funeral), and I swear the weekend I was there they played the same ten songs on a continuous loop. If you are planning on spending time relaxing by the pool - you might want to bring earphones!
2) The best bus transportation was definitely POP. It has its own busses and only one stop. I know you are not going to the parks, but I just figured I would mention it. The worst (IMHO) was CBR. I felt like I was NEVER getting out of there - the bus must stop seven or eight times before you even leave the resort.
3) I liked the food courts at POP and POFQ. I don't really remember the food court at CBR, and my memory of the POR is that it was pretty chaotic.
4) In terms of "themes" I have to say I liked CBR the best. I loved being able to sit on a chaise lounge in the sand under a palm tree!!

Either way - have a great time!

Thanks for the great information all! I think I'll upgrade. I really do want a relaxing time to read in weather above 4 degrees! The boat ride to DTD seems very conveinent too!

Thanks for the bus info. and especially about bringing headphones for the pool!

We have stayed at POFQ & POR 7 times. We LOVE the resort because it is smaller & less people, more relaxing. The music in the background to me was great, that would have to be a personal preference. I don't care for sand stuck to my feet and POFQ & POR also has palm trees. It also has fountians with I find peaceful. Love to sit by them and read a book to relax. The boat ride to downtown is very relaxing- a fun way to get there after riding the bus everywhere. You are close to all the eating establishments in downtown, my favorite quick service meal there is Earl of Sandwich. There is so much to do in downtown that if you are not going to the parks I would choose to be closer to that area. No matter where you pick it'll be great - it's DISNEY!!:love:

I just posted the following on another thread:

After two stays at Pop, my BF and I stayed at POFQ last week and LOVED it! It was so pretty, and it seemed much quieter than POP. We had a room in building 7 and it was lovely. I'll admit that I was a little nervous I would regret spending the extra money but it was well worth it!

Also, I was nervous about the bus service but it was perfect! The extra stops at Riverside didn't add as much time as I thought, and not every bus stopped at Riverside after picking up at POFQ anyway. On the way back from the parks, POFQ is the first stop, so in terms of time, it doesn't really matter that the bus is shared. And after fireworks (Wishes and Illuminations) each resort had its own bus.

So I think you made a great choice! We took the boat to DTD, which was so convenient, and it was also fun to see POR too. (It's only a 5 - 10 minute walk depending on where your room is at POFQ). Have a great trip!

I am looking forward to the boat to DTD. The resort area just looks so pretty, it will be nice to just walk around in. :)

Definitely walk over to POR, it is so pretty to walk along the water. The gift shops are different too. Don't forget to go to the lounge at POR, Bob the piano player is so much fun. You will love POFQ, ask to stay in a river view room, it is so pretty to watch the boats come by. I absolutely love the boat ride to DTD, but please avoid the bus from DTD, too many stops, and not as pretty as the boat ride. Enjoy all the other resorts. And last of all, Have Fun!

Here's some pics of the boat ride to DTD. You're going to love POFQ too. :thumbsup2
DSC01411.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

Not to get on anyone's nerves - but we are 'deluxe snobs' - but due to budgets these days - we are planning on POFQ as our moderate choice.

Main Reasons:
- resort is small, so walking to places is not a problem
- 1st bus stop before POR
- boat to DTD
- refrigerator in the room
- the rooms are 314 sq ft - but you can still fit a twin aero bed in the room (we have teen DS & DD who do not sleep together)
- we can get the DDP

And we will do the moderate POFQ if the price is $100/night less than the Dolphins's AAA rate.

Those pictures are pretty!

I also am looking forward to the resort because it is small and easily walkable. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter