Upgrade from Value Movies to Caribbean Beach?

lynzi2004

DIS Veteran
Hi, my family and I are staying at Movies in April. Today I was looking around and noticed that I could move up to Caribbean Beach for about $200 more for our entire trip. Then I started looking at some of the reviews for Caribbean Beach and am not for sure if its a good use of our money?!?! Many people on the boards I was looking at weren't too impressed. Thoughts?

That's our favorite value and favorite moderate. It depends on what is important to you. I would upgrade to CBR in a second for $200. The pool is great, there's 2 waterslides, and a really cute pirate play area. It's very tropical, beaches in every village and they roast marshmallows on beach every night and watch epcots fireworks. We don't mind how big the resort is or the fact that there is 7 bus stops, so it isn't an issue for us, but that is the majority of complaints I hear. The noise between rooms is much better in CBR. We used to stay at ASMO all the time. It's our favorite value. There's only one bus stop, except at down times it will share with the other all stars. It's compact so not a lot of walking to get everywhere. Love the theme and the Disney feel. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either, but we LOVED CBR and are rebooked for this year. In my opinion, yes, way worth $200.

Thanks for the reply! Judging by your siggy, you know what you are talking about! lol

Yes! For the reasons above. Plus we love the quiet pools. My daughter is older now, so we don't really need the slides. We love to just go to the quiet pool right by the room and relax. Usually, we're the only people there! I think you'll also enjoy the extra space! I say go for it!

Would definitely upgrade. Beautiful resort. We haven't stayed there but hear nothing but good things about it! Agree with what the pp said about Pirate Rooms.

Not my favorite resort and would never look to book it first. It was the first "moderate" built (although it was not called that then) and Disney learned from all the mistakes there.

BUT for $200 more for a bigger room, with queen beds that just got completely rehabbed last year over a value that I'm pretty sure hasn't seen a rehab in a long time .... I would absolutely book CBR!

Been there, done that = DO NOT TAKE A PIRATE ROOM. They are practically in POP Century's lobby and while the theme started out cool, the rooms feel unfinished and are brown everywhere, with weird hard full mattresses.

Last edited:
I would not. I know someone who was there in December and had a terrible problem with sewage backing up into their bathtub!!
They also experienced raw sewage outside their room with a broken pipe (it was affecting the entire bldg) and when they complained, they didn't seem to be in a super big hurry to fix it. They did but it didn't seem to be as big of a priority as it should have been.
She said it smelled horrible for quite awhile. Yuck!!!

Absolutely love CBR over any value, any day. CBR is a super large resort though so if there is a preferred room location available, I'd choose that. We loved Martinque location in CBR and would stay there again in a heartbeat!! Proximity to main pool and food court is great. Completely agree with PP about the pirate rooms...stay away!!

I recently stayed at the Movies resort. The rooms were clean but really need to be renovated. The carpet was worn and a couple of the drawers didn't close properly. There was only two of us so the double beds were okay but I'd spend the $200.

I loved CBR! The only thing I really didn't like was the location of the front desk ("Customs House"), which is disconnected from the rest of the resort.

That said, Coronado is our "home", but I'd make that upgrade in a heartbeat.

DO NOT GO TO THE PIRATE ROOMS. IF THEY OFFER YOU A FREEEEEEE UPGRADE TO PIRATE ROOM. RUN RUN AWAY. ITS A TRICK. THEY ARE NOT AN UPGRADE.

end of rant
They tried to "upgrade" us in November!!! I kindly declined showing them that in a standard room, what we booked, it says queen beds, and that's what I want. We ended up in preferred. They overbooked standard rooms and were throwing people in pirate rooms trying to sell them by calling it an upgrade!!

I would upgrade to CBR in a second for $200. The pool is great, there's 2 waterslides, and a really cute pirate play area. It's very tropical, beaches in every village and they roast marshmallows on beach every night and watch epcots fireworks. We don't mind how big the resort is or the fact that there is 7 bus stops, so it isn't an issue for us, but that is the majority of complaints I hear.

In my opinion, yes, way worth $200.

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup2.

Yes! For the reasons above. Plus we love the quiet pools. My daughter is older now, so we don't really need the slides. We love to just go to the quiet pool right by the room and relax. Usually, we're the only people there! I think you'll also enjoy the extra space! I say go for it!

We enjoyed the quiet pool, too. The feature pool is great, but it's also nice to have a little peace and quiet at a smaller pool right by your building :goodvibes.

DO NOT GO TO THE PIRATE ROOMS. IF THEY OFFER YOU A FREEEEEEE UPGRADE TO PIRATE ROOM. RUN RUN AWAY. ITS A TRICK. THEY ARE NOT AN UPGRADE.

end of rant
Just to add to this, the reason pirate rooms arent worth it is because the beds are double (all other rooms at CBR have queen). So definitely stay away from the pirate rooms.

For $200 the upgrade is worth it!! You get bigger beds (queen at CBR vs double at Values), you get a nicer themed pool with a slide and hot tub. You get a restaurant as well. CBR is a lovely resort, very tropical. I love the hammocks. Plus it was refurbished last year.

i'd go for it if I were you!

It's not just the size of the pirate beds, they are uncomfortable "bunk bed style" mattresses. The location of these rooms is also the worst

I think it is an overwhelming yes based on the comments! One more concern, our kids are 2 and 4 and their first Disney trip. I realize my husband and I would much prefer the nice, calm, tranquil CBR, but at 2 and 4 is the complete Disney blowout gigantic Toy Stoy decor, etc. more suited for them? Or worth a shot at least once?

They tried to "upgrade" us in November!!! I kindly declined showing them that in a standard room, what we booked, it says queen beds, and that's what I want. We ended up in preferred. They overbooked standard rooms and were throwing people in pirate rooms trying to sell them by calling it an upgrade!!

They tried to "upgrade" us last week to a pirate room - same deal we kindly declined because of the queen beds and the long walk. We ended up at the Grand Floridian because they were so overbooked they had no other room for us. Awesome upgrade!

They tried to "upgrade" us last week to a pirate room - same deal we kindly declined because of the queen beds and the long walk. We ended up at the Grand Floridian because they were so overbooked they had no other room for us. Awesome upgrade!

That is AWESOME!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter