Upgrade from coach to roomette (Amtrak)

cottoncandyluva

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We are currently booked on the Silver Star from NJ to Orlando and there are some roomettes still available for $199 extra. Is this a good price for a roomette now that meals are no longer included and would you upgrade yes or no?

Thanks!

Wow, we book out of SC to Orlando and the roometes are quite more expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to book it at that price and would bring a lunch to eat to offset the price if it makes the decision easier. We love the privacy but always look forward to a meal in the dining car or going to the snackbar to stretch our legs.

Wow, we book out of SC to Orlando and the roometes are quite more expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to book it at that price and would bring a lunch to eat to offset the price if it makes the decision easier. We love the privacy but always look forward to a meal in the dining car or going to the snackbar to stretch our legs.

I'd upgrade for that in a heartbeat!

Thank you for responding I thought that was a very good deal too but just needed some reassurance:)

There is a discount on the rooms for this line this year.. We travel from nyc to kissimee on the train and would never do it in just a seat.. We've always braught our luggage on board with us.. nice shower before you head off to wdw.. free water/coffee and if you know the line and depending on when you hit certain stations, there's some trackside vendors with quick enough to get when the stations take longer to board

Last edited:
According to amtrak website: "All meals for First Class passengers, passengers with sleeping accommodations, and all Auto Train passengers (no matter which class you're traveling) are included in the price of their train ticket."

btw that includes sodas and things at the cafe also. there's almost nothing you need to pay addtionally for. Do you ahve anythign that specifically says your room upgrade has no food with it? I know there is a discounted sleeper car upgrade option trial going on right now, I'm wondering if that's what the discount is.

update: I just called to confirm my tickets had meals and I do, but i'm in a deluxe and not in a roomette.

Amtrak is currently running a pilot program specifically on the Silver Star 91 train. As part of the program the sleeping accommodations are discounted but they removed the dining car and meals are not included with the sleepers only turn down service and juice/water/coffee/tea. You have to pay out of pocket for meals in the cafe car.

Amtrak is currently running a pilot program specifically on the Silver Star 91 train. As part of the program the sleeping accommodations are discounted but they removed the dining car and meals are not included with the sleepers only turn down service and juice/water/coffee/tea. You have to pay out of pocket for meals in the cafe car.

thanks for clarifying. Not a bad deal if you don't mind bringing food with you or paying.

thanks for clarifying. Not a bad deal if you don't mind bringing food with you or paying.
Yeah, I think Amtrak is having problems with the new Viewliner II deliveries, and supplementing with the evergreen Amfleet, at least from what I've heard. Also, the dining car is a loss leader in many routes.

Thanks for clarifying about that route. I hadn't heard about the trial of this. It's not likely something we would do, but it's good to know there are options for others.

Yeah, I think Amtrak is having problems with the new Viewliner II deliveries, and supplementing with the evergreen Amfleet, at least from what I've heard. Also, the dining car is a loss leader in many routes.

I'd done long distance (within 24 hour) travel on the trains when possible for years. last year I took it a couple times and didnt' see the dining cars filling up much. Also the sleeper cars were empty for most of the trip with very few in use for more than 6-8 hours. Of course for someone going almost the entire trip, I liked the quiet :)

Since when are meals not included with roomettes?

I read somewhere that Congress is telling Amtrak that food service on the trains must be self-sufficient, or be eliminated. This pilot program is viewed by many as a step towards eliminating dining cars altogether.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter