Upgrade cost at the port question...

EDelashmit

Lover of anything Disney
Would they calculate the upgrade price from what I actually paid or what the category I'm in is going for? Does that make sense? I'm sorry if its a silly question.

LOL great minds think a like. I just posted a thread about this.

Kim

The actual "how do they figure it" is kind of a mystery. No one I've talked to knows exactly how they arrive at their port upgrade costs.

That being said, current wisdom is that apparently, they have a chart at the check-in desks that lists an upgrade price from/to each category. There doesn't seem to be a real rhyme or reason to the prices people have paid, that I can see! But they go off a flat chart, which won't take into account what you paid for the room at all. Everyone upgrading from an 11 to a 7 will be charged XXX, from a 7 to a 4 is YYY, and so on. It just depends on what is left available for your cruise!

Sorry there isn't a secret squirrel chart for what it will cost. I think someone was trying to compile one a while back...so if you're successful with a port upgrade, make sure you look for that thread and maybe you can help us figure it out!!!

Wishing you a fantastic cruise and lots of pixiedust: !!!

I know this doesn't answer your question exactly, but here is what we just did. We just paid $613 for an upgrade for 2 adults in a 4A category to go to a 1 bedroom suite at the port. It would have been about $3000-$4000 for that same upgrade when paid in advance. This was for a 7 night west coast cruise.

Thank you all! I would love to get to a balcony, but I'm perfectly fine with what I have already!

Would they calculate the upgrade price from what I actually paid or what the category I'm in is going for? Does that make sense? I'm sorry if its a silly question.

It's my understanding that they calculate the price from what you originally paid to the new category. So, if you originally booked, say, a 9A and got pixiedust upgraded to a 7A and now want to do a paid upgrade to a 4, they would look at what you paid for the 9A to figure the price you will pay to go to the 4.

:cutie:

It's my understanding that they calculate the price from what you originally paid to the new category. So, if you originally booked, say, a 9A and got pixiedust upgraded to a 7A and now want to do a paid upgrade to a 4, they would look at what you paid for the 9A to figure the price you will pay to go to the 4.

I have yet to take my first cruise, so am definitely NOT an expert, but have been reading up on this quite a bit here because I am hoping for a port upgrade.

My understanding is different from above... I agree that in the example above, they'd look at their "magically derived" chart for the price to upgrade from a 9A to a 4, but that the price you paid for your 9A wouldn't factor in at all. So, whether you booked your 9A on the first day, with an On Board Booking discount, or later when the price had gone up, that the price quoted to go from a 9A to a 4 would be the same. Is that what others understand?

Not trying to be argumentative, but really wanting to understand as much as possible. :goodvibes

This was not correct in our situation. When we did our upgrade, we went to check in, they sent us to another cm who just looked at a pre-printed list to see what our upgrade cost would be. It didn't show what we had already paid for our cruise.

I have yet to take my first cruise, so am definitely NOT an expert, but have been reading up on this quite a bit here because I am hoping for a port upgrade.

My understanding is different from above... I agree that in the example above, they'd look at their "magically derived" chart for the price to upgrade from a 9A to a 4, but that the price you paid for your 9A wouldn't factor in at all. So, whether you booked your 9A on the first day, with an On Board Booking discount, or later when the price had gone up, that the price quoted to go from a 9A to a 4 would be the same. Is that what others understand?

Not trying to be argumentative, but really wanting to understand as much as possible. :goodvibes

Yes, this is accurate, they are looking at your category, not what you paid for your category. We upgraded at port for a 5 nite Canadian from an 11B (it was an IGT rate) to the Roy Suite. And the supervisor looked at the lovely hugh laminated chart (with very tiny writing with LOTS of little boxes of numbers).

This was not correct in our situation. When we did our upgrade, we went to check in, they sent us to another cm who just looked at a pre-printed list to see what our upgrade cost would be. It didn't show what we had already paid for our cruise.

Yes, this is accurate, they are looking at your category, not what you paid for your category. We upgraded at port for a 5 nite Canadian from an 11B (it was an IGT rate) to the Roy Suite. And the supervisor looked at the lovely hugh laminated chart (with very tiny writing with LOTS of little boxes of numbers).

OK, OK, OK! :goodvibes I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?) myself. I was saying (trying to say) that they will go from the original category to the new one, regardless if you had a step between them.

If I booked ogt and got a 9c and i still want a 9 but a 9a how would they figure upgrading from a 9 to a 9

If I booked ogt and got a 9c and i still want a 9 but a 9a how would they figure upgrading from a 9 to a 9

The same as mentioned above, just a smaller jump between categories so it would cost less than upgrading to an 8D for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter