Upgrade at the Port

palmtreelover1

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

Myself, DW and DS(5) are cruising on the 9/16 Double Dip. Is it possible to get an upgrade at the port? Do you have to ask or will Disney offer it up? Right now we are in a Cat 11. Last time I looked, it seems there are still most Cat's still available for this cruise. Would the price of an upgrade be reduced or just available for the "going rate"? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :yay:

If you want to try to get an upgrade at the Port, you need to do the following:

1. Be one of the first to the Port. We stayed at the Radisson this last trip and took the first shuttle from the hotel to the Port. We were not even close to being one of the first there. There were plenty of others who had driven their cars to the Port before us.

2. When you check-in, make sure you immediately ask whether there are any upgrades available.

FYI....as soon as you ask for an upgrade you will be charged for it....it will not be comped but the price is usually much less than if you upgraded before the cruise.

When you check in have them check to see if you were already comped an upgraded (you should be able to tell by a different cabin number listed than what you have). Upgrades are rare but they can happen....if could find out online before your cruise by checking your ressie on the DCL website, it could be listed in your documents, or they could tell you at the port...if none of that has occurred then you can ask for a paid upgrade at the port.

We just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Wonder. We arrived at the Port between 10:30 and 11:00. I asked at check in if I could upgrade and he told me I would have to speak with a supervisor at the end of the counter (far right). After what seemed like an eternity for him to check us in I made it down to speak to a supervisor.

We were in 2 adjoining cat 10 cabins and I wanted 2 connecting cabins (with a door in between). They had connecting cabins available in cat 9 for $284/cabin or in cat 6 for $500ish/cabin. We choose the connecting cat 9 cabins and it was the best money we spent on the cruise. I loved being able to put the children in their own cabin and I loved having the window. I've learned that I'm not an inside cabin kind of girl (claustrophobic and need the natural light).

In most cases the ship is completely full but it doesn't hurt to ask. We were one of the first ones at port and there were only about 10 cabins available for upgrades. The cost of them was just more than I wanted to shell out on a room. We were in a cat 11 and we could have gone to a cat 9 but the cat 9 was on deck 2 and the cat 11 was on deck 7, plus it would have cost us an extra $400 to upgrade- lets just say we didn't upgrade on this sailing.

DH and I were just on the 4 night Wonder in Cat 11. We got to the port around 1pm and there were upgrades still available. To upgrade to a cat 9 $285 and upgrade to a cat 5 $685-heck I only paid $915 total for the cruise. I told them no thank you.

Usually there is a sign posted on the desk if the ship is full and there are no upgrades available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter