Upgrade at Port Question

Words of gold. :worship: I know for our cruise, there were NO cat 3 upgrades to be had. They had been sold out for months before the sail date. It was just a mid-nov. cruise. Nothing around a holiday or anything. Just a regular date. You will probably read about most upgrades given out on this board becuase people will be thrilled to share, but you won't read about the thousands of people that had no upgrade or none were available. Book was you want, if you're willing to deal with all the stress of trying to get to port early and the hysteria of many others trying to do exactly what you're doing, go for it. Me? I'm haired out by lots of people and uncertainty. Peace of mind is what I pay for. :cloud9:

*** sorry, just saw how old this thread is. Princes Bette, lots of people like to talk about upgrades and talking about them seems to get people's hopes up, just try not to let them get too high because you are most likely in for disappointment. And that's not a way to start a cruise! :)

Thanks ppony! I don't expect to get an upgrade at the port...even IF one was available, about the only way we would get it is if it was given to us! :rotfl: DH doesn't want to spend anymore $$ for the cabin and I doubt I could talk him into it unless it was very little $$, which doesn't sound very likely! :sad1: But I can always DREAM, can't I!! :tink:

Thanks ppony! I don't expect to get an upgrade at the port...even IF one was available, about the only way we would get it is if it was given to us! :rotfl: DH doesn't want to spend anymore $$ for the cabin and I doubt I could talk him into it unless it was very little $$, which doesn't sound very likely! :sad1: But I can always DREAM, can't I!! :tink:

But of course! :cloud9:
I always read about how people get so amped up to get upgrades and to do anything possible to get them and then the inevitable disppointment. :( I'm glad you're glad to be going! Perhaps your DH will get the "bug" and once he tries it, cruising that is, be willing to make a little jump up in categories. My DH is ex Navy, so it took some doing to even get him ON a ship. But I knew my man, if I gave him COMFORT and pampering, he'd forget all about his days on a carrier "nut-to-butt" w/ other sailors and enjoy the rocking to sleep again. And I was dead on! :goodvibes He was out like a light at night and LOVED the ship. ;)
I'll wish for you!!!! :cloud9:

I have a wonderful veranda room that I will be happy to keep and enjoy:)
However I will also go to port and see if dcl wants to offer me a great deal on a Cat 3 (T) suite I might even take a cat 4 upgrade as we have a 5.....

However I will in no way be disappointed if nothing is available. The suite would be a fabulous surprise for my family but I may have to give up some spa treatments to afford the upgrade :cheer2:

As above, ALWAYS book a cabin where you will be happy. Then, if an upgrade comes your way (either by pixie dust or credit card), it is a bonus. Please do not think that upgrades are the norm; they are not. Yes, in 20+ cruises, we have been visited by the pixie dust occasionally and have been able to purchase an upgrade at port occasionally.

Do not count on it; you don't want to start your cruise by being disappointed.

As above, ALWAYS book a cabin where you will be happy. Then, if an upgrade comes your way (either by pixie dust or credit card), it is a bonus. Please do not think that upgrades are the norm; they are not. Yes, in 20+ cruises, we have been visited by the pixie dust occasionally and have been able to purchase an upgrade at port occasionally.

Do not count on it; you don't want to start your cruise by being disappointed.

So true kcashner! We have been on 3 prior cruises (only one with Disney), and never had an upgrade! We will be quite happy with the stateroom we booked. What excites me is that by reading through these threads, I have learned that upgrades can be purchased at "discounts" at the port, of course only IF they are available...which is not the norm and should not be counted on. I never knew that it was even possible to do this! That's one of the many reasons I love Disboards!! Thanks to all for the tips you give us newbies and please keep them coming!!

Princess Bette

Does anyone have some current prices they've paid for upgrades?

January 9, 2010, 7 night Magic, Cat. 7 to Cat. 3, $1,740. When we arrived at the port, the Cat. 7 room we had reserved had already been assigned to another party and we were "automatically" upgraded to a Cat. 4 (without charge). We elected to pay for the upgrade to 3 instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter