upgrade at check-in

pxydst

Mouseketeer
Has anyone ever been up-graded to a different resort at check in?? and if you have been upgraded to another resort, how do they get you to the other resort with all of your luggage?? :confused3

Has anyone ever been up-graded to a different resort at check in?? and if you have been upgraded to another resort, how do they get you to the other resort with all of your luggage?? :confused3

Not me personally, but I've read of it here. Disney would transfer your luggage and your party if you needed transportation. That said, it is highly unlikely that this will happen. Highly.

IF this "counts" I was upgraded from standard room at AS Music to preferred room at AS Sports. Disney transported us and our luggage.

As PPer noted, it is very unlikely to happen--especially an upgrade to a different resort category.

We were upgraded from ASMu to CSR once, but there was a significant problem with our room and it was 2:00 am in the morning. They didn't have another room at the resort. We were sent to CSR but it took 2 hours for them to get us there. By the time we were finally in our room it was 5:30 in the morning. We were very tired that day!

I would rather have the room that I had booked and get my sleep!

We have been staying in Disney resorts in WDW nearly every year since the 1990, sometimes more than once in the year. THis is the only time that we were upgraded resorts by Disney. It seems that they must have a significant problem to do this.

It's not something I would ever expect as even a possibility. When it happens it is a matter of making a problem right and isn't necessarily as much fun as you might think. Not in our experience, anyway.

Since all Disney resorts are great in their own right, I would simply book the one that I want and Enjoy!

If someone were to be changed to another resort (not saying "upgraded"), they would transfer your luggage.

That being said, there would have to be certain circumstances for that to happen.

Your booked resort room would have to be completely unacceptable to you for whatever reasons.
Your booked resort would have to be completely booked and no other suitable room available.
All other comparable resorts (value to value, moderate to moderate, deluxe to deluxe) would have to be completely booked.

So, that drops your changes of a free upgrade to slim and none.

Now, if you want to get to your booked resort and ask about changing to another resort and pay the difference, that's another story. Maybe the OP could clarify the question a bit more.

They push you out on the curb and tell you to start walking :rotfl2:

HaHa images of family's rolling luggage down street with map that's been highlighted by front desk come to mind. You almost made me spit tea all over keyboard..

HaHa images of family's rolling luggage down street with map that's been highlighted by front desk come to mind. You almost made me spit tea all over keyboard..

This is a great visual. Needs a caption that says, "Happiest place on earth..."

Never had it happen at check in, but we've gotten a call a few weeks prior asking if we could be moved to another resort. We were staying in a high end suite, and there was an issue with the room and no other of the same category available. The new room was more expensive and we got dinner at a restaurant of our choice on property for free.

This happened to us on New Year's Eve 2012/2013. We were doing a split stay at POP/BWV with the first 2 nights being at POP. When my wife checked in, she was worried as the CM was very quiet other than saying that there might "be a problem". After getting a manager, we were informed that POP was sold out and that, if it was OK with us, they would like to move us to AKL- Jambo. If it was "OK" with us? Of course it was OK! They called and payed for a cab to send us to Jambo, where the front desk was already waiting for us with updated information. The POP CM contacted Magical Express and had our luggage rerouted to Jambo House. It took an extra hour, but everything made its way to us in plenty of time.

It was totally unexpected, but we went from spending New Year's Eve at POP to spending it at our favorite Deluxe resort on property!

It is just wishful thinking on my part!!!having my own pitty party 'why not me?" 'How come I never get an upgrade?"... Just be happy I am going twice this year!:)

We were upgraded from Pop To Coronado Springs. We were staying 10 days and paid for preferred. They put us on the top floor of a preferred building. We were checking in at 9:00 a.m., NEVER expecting a room to be ready and just wanted our tickets and have them hold our luggage while we went to the park. I really did not want to be walking up all those stairs for 10 days and told them I was willing to wait as long as it took to get a room (that day of course) for two on a lower floor. I was really nice about it, I did not get upset, and was willing to be really patient. (there were six of us, so we had two rooms and requested adjoining, but understood if that could not happen, as long as they were somewhat close). He ran some things through a computer, went and got a manager and next thing we knew, we were upgraded to Coronado Springs. My husband and I were in heaven, but wouldn't you know it, the kids wanted to go back to the Kid Friendly Pop Century. Though the pools were no comparison, Coronado wins hands down but the food court at Pop is much more Kid Friendly. The gave us our tickets and we went off to the parks and they transported our luggage. It was totally unexpected, but a wonderful surprise and a wonderful 10 days!!!!!

My family was upgraded from Caribbean Beach to Yacht Club. We arrived at Caribbean Beach for our 3 nighy stay and were told that they had overbooked the resort and we were being upgraded to the Yacht Club. It was the first time we were staying on property and have stayed on property every time since. My family could of never afforded a resort like that so it was a dream come true.

These are lovely to hear about. Who doesn't love a little pixie dust? I see most of these cases were due to problems with booking... I would love to hear about completely random upgrades such for celebration purposes. Also, do people ask for complimentary upgrades? I seem to remember on another thread people saying that they would list celebrations for the trip in their ressie comments and request complimentary upgrades. Just curious as to what proper practice is. DH and I are going for our first anniversary and a pre-deployment trip in January... Some people seem to say asking never hurts, but at the same time to me it seems greed or that you feel entitled to something.

These are lovely to hear about. Who doesn't love a little pixie dust? I see most of these cases were due to problems with booking... I would love to hear about completely random upgrades such for celebration purposes. Also, do people ask for complimentary upgrades? I seem to remember on another thread people saying that they would list celebrations for the trip in their ressie comments and request complimentary upgrades. Just curious as to what proper practice is. DH and I are going for our first anniversary and a pre-deployment trip in January... Some people seem to say asking never hurts, but at the same time to me it seems greed or that you feel entitled to something.

We were upgraded to a preferred room last year for our 1 year anniversary at All Star Sports. We didn't do the online check in so when we went to go check in, they saw we were celebrating and wished us a happy anniversary. Then they said they were upgrading us to a preferred room. We didn't ask or anything, they just gave it to us.

kt01513 said:

I don't think I have ever heard of a resort upgrade for celebration purposes...it usually is an overbooking issue.

As far as "celebration" upgrades, those tend to be more in resort, non-preferred to preferred in a value, maybe a garden view upgrade to a river view at a moderate and garden view to a lagoon or theme park view at MK deluxes. We were upgraded from a woods view to a courtyard view at Wilderness Lodge in August '11. The trip was for our tenth anniversary so they said it was for that....but my understanding is even those upgrades are to "help" out the resort. So say it is only 60% booked, it's a lot more cost efficient to keep the guests in a more localized area for housekeeping. Whether it is for a celebration or to help them out, either way I'll take it!

There are guests at deluxe who have been upgraded to club level, but I'm not sure how those are picked.

As far as asking for an upgrade, I wouldn't. Many have come on and said that is a sure fire way to not receive a free upgrade. If you do ask, the CM will most likely tell you what's available and what the additional cost is.

And also, the actual percentage of room upgrades is quite small compared to how many guests stay on property..it just seems more common here because people share their stories. I have read stories on here of people who have gone each year for 15+ years and never got an upgrade.

Never had an upgrade of any kind in 20 something visits until we had some major issues checking in at 730 am at Poly CL We booked GV in 2011 we got our room around 330 ( had breakfast in lounge then went to parks first) & had never gotten text like we were suppose to so we stopped by CL desk to ask room number & CL CM says " oh your room was ready before you even left for the park" after the horrible check in that really ticked us off but we let it go & proceeded to our room which looked like it had not been used or dusted in awhile and the front door wouldn't even shut all the way!!

At this point DH was livid called for manager & he poured his heart out about everything that had happened, manager apologized many times and moved us, when we opened the curtains to the balcony we were in shock! It was the best TPV room in CL! It was amazing!!!

Had a very very tough 2012/2013 so was unable to book the category we wanted at CR but very very grateful to still be on monorail line.. Hoping for a bit of pixie dust on location of tower room but if not our trip will be amazing!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

These are lovely to hear about. Who doesn't love a little pixie dust? I see most of these cases were due to problems with booking... I would love to hear about completely random upgrades such for celebration purposes.

I think the reason why more upgrades for celebration purposes don't occur is because everyone is celebrating something. You walk around and there are so many people wearing pins with birthdays, anniversaries, honeymoons, etc. There just aren't enough rooms to upgrade everyone. The CMs ask you when you make a resort reservation what you are celebrating, so it's automatically on everyone's reservations.

On my last trip we were talking to a family of 3 who had booked a split stay at 3 nights at AS Music and 2 nights at Contemporary. When they checked in at ALM they were asked if would be okay to make the switch at 2 nights due to over booking at ALM...an extra night at Contempory..sure.

It was a few years ago, I was staying going to stay at the Coronado Springs but they had overbooked and offered to move me and asked if Boardwalk would be ok so of course it was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter