Updated with link about trip. Just want to share something I have not told anyone..

you all are very encouraging :) i really appreciate it. the closer we are getting to our trip the idea of using the scooter doesn't bug me as much. i'll still be in a lot of pain because my joints will lock up real bad from sitting and riding on it but it is the best way to go because i won't be able to walk very far and will have to sit on a bench otherwise (no fun). i am going to have fun. we so can't wait to go. just wish our trip was going to be a bit longer but i appreciate that i get to go :)

i never got to go to disney until i was 19 when we got married and have loved it ever since.

i have my girls collecting pins to trade, they are so excited, they already have their backpacks packed.

i just ordered packing cubes to reduce my anxiety levels, one less thing to stress me out.

we went to the dollar store today and bought light sticks. for the mickey halloween party i will put a few on it :)

i am so looking forward to going.

I am in the same boat as you. We are leaving in less then a month and we are taking our DD who will turn 3 during our trip. I have rented a scooter because that is the only way I will be able to go. I too have been struggling with the fact that I don't look disabled, but I am. I am definietly no where as excited about going as I have been for previous trips but I am doing this trip for my DD and that is who I am going to focus on.

Please get excited, I AM :) even though I don't want the "looks" I've/you have to live with them and just keep reminding ourselves that we are there to have fun :)

I am in the same boat as you. We are leaving in less then a month and we are taking our DD who will turn 3 during our trip. I have rented a scooter because that is the only way I will be able to go. I too have been struggling with the fact that I don't look disabled, but I am. I am definietly no where as excited about going as I have been for previous trips but I am doing this trip for my DD and that is who I am going to focus on.

Instead of looking at yourself as limited by needing a mobility device, try to look at it as a positive for all that you will be able to do that you wouldn't have been able to without the chair.

I don't know what it's like to become disabled, but I do know what it's like to be disabled from the time I was born. I don't even think about my powerchair as anything other than "my" way to walk (yes, I use the term "walk" and all). I'm grateful that in my lifetime, there are technology devices available to help us to what we need and want to do.

Many years ago at Epcot I told Judy that I was going to rent an ECV as I was having too many problems walking. After we got back to the hotel that evening she said she had the best Park day is a few years since we did not have to stop for me to rest every few minutes.

That is one reason in my stock set of questions the last is "Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family?"

Instead of looking at yourself as limited by needing a mobility device, try to look at it as a positive for all that you will be able to do that you wouldn't have been able to without the chair.

I don't know what it's like to become disabled, but I do know what it's like to be disabled from the time I was born. I don't even think about my powerchair as anything other than "my" way to walk (yes, I use the term "walk" and all). I'm grateful that in my lifetime, there are technology devices available to help us to what we need and want to do.
We look at it the same way.
My youngest DD got her first wheelchair when she was not quite 3 yrs old and has never walked, but we still use the term walk and I even tell her to “Come here and sit down”, when she is sitting all the time in her wheelchair.

Some people look at a wheelchair as a limiting device, but I look at it as an enabling device - without it, my DD would not be able to get around at all.
To us, it’s as ‘normal’ as the rest of our family members wearing glasses.

I can totally relate to how you are feeling in some ways. I had to get a scooter for our last trip because of an injury that happened while there. Being a heavy person I was very proud at the time that I still had my mobility. I cried hard when I had to rent a scooter. Having two young kids in a stroller, we just could not make a regular wheelchair work.

I am still struggling with my mobility since that accident and have had to come to terms with it. Having lost a lot of weight since then and my joints not getting any better, only worse, has been very hard. However, this trip I have decided I need to accept that things are not normal but we need to try to have as much fun as possible. Now that my kids are a little older, we are going to get a regular wheelchair for at least half of our trip.

The last time we had a scooter, we did have issues with people not giving space while walking through crowds. I was really frustrated with that. It ended up taking us longer to get to some places at crowded times than just trying to walk because people kept cutting in front, not seeing me, and I would have to slow down to keep from running people over since they were not paying attention. So just watch for that. The night time was the hardest. Maybe wearing a light up hat would help? Just be aware that you may come across that issue, but I really hope you don't!

Either way, good for you for looking out for your needs and wanting to make the trip a huge success! I am sure it is going to be great no matter what. Hugs!

However, this trip I have decided I need to accept that things are not normal but we need to try to have as much fun as possible.
That reminded me of a saying:
Normal is just a setting on the Dryer

I could not remember if it was Washer or Dryer, so I did an internet search and found there is even a book with that title
Normal is Just a Setting on the Dryer

thanks for all of the uplifting advice :) i would never have thought that i might run over people until i read about it here :rotfl: so i'll have to be careful :rotfl:

i accepted my disabilities years ago but i used to be able to at least get around good enough but as the years go on i just get worse.

i know people say LOSE WEIGHT and you will feel better. the kicker is when this started i was a size 8 and am now a size 20. i became a size 20 due to mobility issues (dumb people make dumb comments) :confused3

about knees/spine/etc. i have a friend that was told to lose weight, that his back would heal, etc. and he just kept getting worse even with the weight off as his was degenerative too so i understand about not getting better just because you take off some weight.

i'll post a trip report, maybe at nights while i am there if i can get connected.

I am excited about going :yay: :cheer2:

i know people say LOSE WEIGHT and you will feel better. the kicker is when this started i was a size 8 and am now a size 20. i became a size 20 due to mobility issues (dumb people make dumb comments) :confused3

Don't you just love that! I have doctors do that to me and when I look at them and ask them what I can do that doesn't involve my feet. I get the old blank look. Got to love those medical experts.

:confused3 when doctors say that to me i pull out photos of my model looking self as a size 8 and show it to them and they get that "...old blank look" on their face that you stated. morons. :confused:

Don't you just love that! I have doctors do that to me and when I look at them and ask them what I can do that doesn't involve my feet. I get the old blank look. Got to love those medical experts.

Please get excited, I AM :) even though I don't want the "looks" I've/you have to live with them and just keep reminding ourselves that we are there to have fun :)

You are so right! I am working on focusing on the fun we will have and not the assumptions people will have about me.

:hug:

I think that because of the negative attention to the matter of scooters on the boards that it makes people extra sensitive about using them. I just wanted to say that I've been to WDW many times and I've never heard an unkind word or seen a "look" directed at anyone using a scooter.

Go and have a great time. :hug:

There are lots of people on scooters/in wheelchairs. WDW is probably one of the best places to visit as a family, there are lots of things a person can do with the family w/o being left outside "to wait"

I hope you have the most happy and blessed vacation:cloud9:

I can totally relate to how you are feeling in some ways. I had to get a scooter for our last trip because of an injury that happened while there. Being a heavy person I was very proud at the time that I still had my mobility. I cried hard when I had to rent a scooter. Having two young kids in a stroller, we just could not make a regular wheelchair work.

I am still struggling with my mobility since that accident and have had to come to terms with it. Having lost a lot of weight since then and my joints not getting any better, only worse, has been very hard. However, this trip I have decided I need to accept that things are not normal but we need to try to have as much fun as possible. Now that my kids are a little older, we are going to get a regular wheelchair for at least half of our trip.

The last time we had a scooter, we did have issues with people not giving space while walking through crowds. I was really frustrated with that. It ended up taking us longer to get to some places at crowded times than just trying to walk because people kept cutting in front, not seeing me, and I would have to slow down to keep from running people over since they were not paying attention. So just watch for that. The night time was the hardest. Maybe wearing a light up hat would help? Just be aware that you may come across that issue, but I really hope you don't!

Either way, good for you for looking out for your needs and wanting to make the trip a huge success! I am sure it is going to be great no matter what. Hugs!

January, 2010, was the first trip where we had to rent an ECV for my husband. Not only did we have the issue of people walking right in front of him, but we actually had some that walked right into the ECV. Fantasyland was the most difficult place..it's pretty narrow with tons of people and strollers. Now we know to get to Fantasyland early to avoid the midday crowds.
You'll have a great time..we did!!

Do not worry what others think. No one knows what you are going through. We just got back from WDW and there are so many people on scooters. Let's face it, Disney is tough on people even without conditions such as yours. My legs are still aching and even my 12 year old son said his legs hurt. Anything you can do to make your trip more comfortable for you and your family you should do. Afterall, Disney is a magical, happy place.

I rem. when this condition started to manifest itself, it started in my legs. I was at Disney solo, my husband was in Orlando on a business trip and I tagged along but had to do the Disney attractions solo. I was normal weight, etc. at the time. I rem. trying to walk to the bus area to take a bus back to the Dolphin and I stopped and looked at the buses and wondered if I was going to be able to make it to the buses without collapsing. At this time I was in my 20's and could hardly walk. Little did I know that things were going to get much worse than that.

Life has a funny way of getting the best of us sometimes. Just don't let it get you down. I put on alot of weight too...I'm back down to a size 8 from a size 14, but it's been very hard, and very painful. But, just do what you can do, and fooey on everyone else who stares funny. I took it hard at first when I got my leg braces, but now I'm alright, and fighting another battle....Skin Cancer!!! They say God doesn't give you more than you can handle....just really wish he didn't trust me THIS much!!!! I must be stronger than I think I am!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter