Updated: Hae any adults here had a rash with strep?

luvwinnie

<font color=green>And how are YOU feeling?<br><fon
We aren't sure that's what this is yet...waiting for culture today (rapid test was neg.), but other than that possibility this rash on my upper leg is mystifying 2 doctors and the PAs my primary pulled into the room. I have a derm appt set for Monday if the strep culture is neg. It is NOT itchy, has well-defined borders. Via emailed photo my rheumatologist thought it looked strep-related (I have psoriatic arthritis). It appeared VERy suddenly. It's big...about 6 inches by 7 inches.

Does the skin feel rough? Like sandpaper?

My son had a bad strep-rash when he was little. Kingergarten or First.
A bad strep was going around his class.

I am thinking that a localized rash that starts on the lower body might not be strep. But, a strep test should be quick and easy.

You can Google or YaHoo for photos and descriptions of a strep rash.

no, it's smooth. So weird...yeah, i've googled various rashes and i get so many varieties even of the SAME type of rash. I've seen strep rashes that look similar and I've seen cellulitis that looks like it, but cellulitis is supposed to be painful. Maybe I'll end up on Mystery Diagnosis! :rotfl:

emailed pic to another of my doctors and got "Sorry, I have no clue what that is, but let me know if you find out".

A few years ago I went to a walk-in clinic when I was pretty sure I had strep throat. While there, I showed the Dr. a large rash I had across my abdomen and asked what he thought it could be. I figured it was caused by the strep infection. (I had waited 4 days to go to the Doctor- kept hoping it would get better!)

He said he had no idea.

A couple of days after starting penicillin, the rash was completely gone.
So to answer your question, yes, you can have a rash with strep throat.

When my daughter was four years old, she developed scarlet fever from strep. We had no idea what it was until the doctor noticed it. He said the antibiotics would take care of it and they did.

That's Scarlett Fever, it's from untreated strep. My youngest had it when he was 2. I had no idea he had strep, no fever, no complaints, but my other son had strep a week before and a coworker's son had just had Scarlett Fever so I knew what it was! Easily treated with antibiotics.

Not sure how it could mystify several doctors, when it sounds like scarlet fever, as mentioned above.

Scarlet fever is untreated strep, and manifests itself in this type of rash. If the doctors are mystified, then perhaps they think it is something else?

Once you get the antibiotics, you should be good if it's strep/scarlet fever.

Best of luck, Tiger

Strep can manifest with a rash, in which case it's referred to as scarlet fever, or strep with rash. It's not more serious than strep without rash.

What you have sounds like it might even be hives. Had you taken any drugs when you broke out with the rash? I don't remember what DS was being treated for when he broke out in hives on both thighs after taking a certain prescription drug, but it was like you describe. The allergy could have been to the food coloring or flavoring used in the liquid medication, rather than the drug itself. We don't know, but he notes an allergy to that drug just in case. The hives lasted about a month, so long we feared there might be permanent scarring, but they did eventually disappear completely.

We have gone through scarlet fever many times in this house and I have never seen it start on the lower body....every single time it starts in the chest area and spreads. My son gets it every single time he gets strep and I will notice his face is bright red and swelling. I lift up his shirt and sure enough, rough red dry rash all over.

We have gone through scarlet fever many times in this house and I have never seen it start on the lower body....every single time it starts in the chest area and spreads. My son gets it every single time he gets strep and I will notice his face is bright red and swelling. I lift up his shirt and sure enough, rough red dry rash all over.

Ditto here. My dd is the one that gets the rash with strep as well.

Culture was negative. Derm appt Monday. Thanks, everyone!

Derm is even perplexed! Trying cortisone cream for a week. If it is not gone, she will biopsy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter