Updated Gluten Free info-traveling with 6yo

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
We leave in two weeks. What are the current gluten free offerings in the restaurants that would appeal to kids? I am also gluten free but can get by with salads. The kiddo likes chicken nuggets, fries, pizza, nachos, turkey burgers-those sorts of things. Are certain TS or CS places better than others for children? We are staying at Wilderness Lodge. How are the counter service places for gluten free both at WL, Polynesian and Contemporary as well as MK and Epcot? If there is a "do not miss" gluten free opportunity for my child please let me know!

We leave in two weeks. What are the current gluten free offerings in the restaurants that would appeal to kids? I am also gluten free but can get by with salads. The kiddo likes chicken nuggets, fries, pizza, nachos, turkey burgers-those sorts of things. Are certain TS or CS places better than others for children? We are staying at Wilderness Lodge. How are the counter service places for gluten free both at WL, Polynesian and Contemporary as well as MK and Epcot? If there is a "do not miss" gluten free opportunity for my child please let me know!

You will have no problem being GF at WDW! Unfortunately, there's no real "list" anymore, which is so annoying. The last time I went, most of the counter service restaurants offered something GF, whether it was Amy's Cheese Pizza or Amy's Mac and Cheese (you know, the frozen one that's soooo.gooood.)

Check the link in my siggie- I have some TS reviews in there. There are allergen (GF) chicken tenders available but you'll have to ask around... maybe guest relations at each park could be of assistance. I have heard that there are GF fish and chips at DTD, but I have yet to find them. Babycakes NYC at DTD is going to be a great place for you- they have everything from cookies to brownies to doughnuts, all gluten free and vegan. They are AWESOME- the GM (Emily) is fantastic. :lovestruc

Columbia Harbor House at Magic Kingdom has the GF chicken tenders. Just read that on another thread. :goodvibes

Columbia Harbor House at Magic Kingdom has the GF chicken tenders. Just read that on another thread. :goodvibes

The GF chicken tenders are really good. They can also be found at most of the resort food courts but not at Cosmic Rays. That was a long trip when I discovered I couldn't eat them anymore. :sad1: CHH also has great options for the grownups too. Cosmic Rays has GF buns and salads. Pretty much any table service is going to be able to accommodate GF as it's a common allergy.

Sunshine Seasons in the Land Pavilion at Epcot has many GF options and they had Enjoy Life cookies when I was there in March. I've heard the pretzel and pop corn at the carts are GF but I'm not sure. There's a GF pizza crust at Pizza Planet in DHS. It's probably the same at Pizzafari in AK.

Babycakes is definitely a do-not-miss. They have GF desserts that are amazing. Hint-go at night and pick up doughnuts for breakfast the next morning. They taste best after sitting overnight and will usually have new doughnuts for the morning if you go late.

I'm a bit disheartened that Special Diets no longer offers those handy lists. I emailed them and the response I got was to read the labels when I get there. Well, that's great if it was mandated that gluten be declared on the label. Unfortunately it's not. I'm pretty unhappy with the new stance at Special Diets now. They won't tell me anything whereas before, they were so helpful. I know this is going to sound snarky but I wish the people at Disney who make these decisions, could try living as a Celiac person for a week.

I'm a bit disheartened that Special Diets no longer offers those handy lists.
I agree. If you can find an old list, I think they're a good starting point for what some of the different restaurants have, but they've switched up brands. I remembered looking at old lists on the internet before I realized they weren't going to send them for our trip (but unfortunately didn't bookmark them, ugh!) and the few things I remembered turned out to be consistent. We were able to get GF mac & cheese at Pinnochio's (the list had said it was Amy's and it looked like Amy's, but the chef made a big deal about 'making it safe' for DS so I'm not sure.) Burger on GF bun and fries at Cosmic Rays. Pizza on what looked like an Udi crust at Tony's. Mac & Cheese at coral reef. The table service restaurants seemed reluctant to make the allergy tenders, I had to ask for them specifically at 'Ohana and Cape May and the chefs kind of dragged their feet, we had hoped to get them at Tony's but no go. When you have a really picky sensory eater it's really tough to balance out their day without repeats if you don't know what might be available until you're ordering. Not to mention managing the "what to expect" anxiety.

Why not give out lists with a huge disclaimer that products are not guaranteed to be available or even GF and leave it at that? Would be so helpful for planning.

I wish they would do a list with a disclaimer.
It would help so much if they would at the very least say "These are the brands that you may find on Disney property" so people could do a little research before showing up.

I get that gluten free is hard, at the moment my son is gluten free + a list of other allergies. There have been a number of GF reviews recently and I've yet to see a GF meal with nothing he has been allergic to in the reviews. I know the chefs have given out misinformation to people on the boards about egg and dairy content, but have yet to see complaints about gluten.

I agree. If you can find an old list, I think they're a good starting point for what some of the different restaurants have, but they've switched up brands. I remembered looking at old lists on the internet before I realized they weren't going to send them for our trip (but unfortunately didn't bookmark them, ugh!) and the few things I remembered turned out to be consistent. We were able to get GF mac & cheese at Pinnochio's (the list had said it was Amy's and it looked like Amy's, but the chef made a big deal about 'making it safe' for DS so I'm not sure.) Burger on GF bun and fries at Cosmic Rays. Pizza on what looked like an Udi crust at Tony's. Mac & Cheese at coral reef. The table service restaurants seemed reluctant to make the allergy tenders, I had to ask for them specifically at 'Ohana and Cape May and the chefs kind of dragged their feet, we had hoped to get them at Tony's but no go. When you have a really picky sensory eater it's really tough to balance out their day without repeats if you don't know what might be available until you're ordering. Not to mention managing the "what to expect" anxiety.

Why not give out lists with a huge disclaimer that products are not guaranteed to be available or even GF and leave it at that? Would be so helpful for planning.

I completely agree with you.:thumbsup2 At the very least, give us allergy people something to work with. Do the people at Special Diets realize how much planning is involved in coming to Disney with food allergies?? We're talking about our health here and they're being so vague and unhelpful. Every email response I get is useless. They won't even say if they're still using the Enjoy Life brand or the Udi's.

based on ordering food supplies for a daycare, you ordered one brand but if out they would send another brand with no warning. could see this being some of problem. not like going to store and buying from shelves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter