Updated did September UY also get a Misleading email from member services

I also received the email stating that I have vacation points left to use or bank. Previous years we only got reminder emails.

I knew that I had already banked my points but since mistakes can happen I spent 20 minutes waiting for MS to answer the phone to verify that my points had already been banked.

I received the same explanation from MS that the OP received.
Did you get the automated voice telling you that ". . .currently our member service representatives are busy helping members book their holiday magic (my emphasis). . ." like we did when we were on hold yesterday? :rotfl:

It's definitely poorly worded and should be changed.

I'd suggest sending a written message through the "contact us" page on the DVC member websites. Hopefully that message would make its way up the proper channels and lead to some action. Unfortunately I don't think an online chat session is going to yield any results. There's zero chance that anonymous chat responder had any authority to tell you that he/she would get the problem addressed.

I am another person who thinks it was poorly worded. DW received the e-mail first and said to me, "do we have points that need to be banked? I got an e-mail about it.". Two days later, I received the e-mail. I simply went to the website and reviewed my points. Right at the top, it said that we had no 2014 points to bank for either of our UY contracts. I certainly appreciate the e-mail reminders, but it should be more general -- "Just a friendly reminder that this is the month that you need to bank any unused points for your August AKV points. Please make sure you visit the DVC website to see if you have any that need to be banked by March 31, 2015!".

My wife and I also got the email. And I double checked something I already knew...I didn't have any points to bank.

I wouldn't say it was poorly worded...it was flat out wrong. I think it was a mistake, someone meant to send Banking Reminder Version 1 and instead sent Banking Reminder 2.

It's definitely poorly worded and should be changed.

I'd suggest sending a written message through the "contact us" page on the DVC member websites. Hopefully that message would make its way up the proper channels and lead to some action. Unfortunately I don't think an online chat session is going to yield any results. There's zero chance that anonymous chat responder had any authority to tell you that he/she would get the problem addressed.

Sending an email to member satisfaction who is close to management may have good results.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

:earsboy: Bill

I don't really get why people seem to be getting (a bit) worked up about this.

More than likely Disney found that by sending out an e-mail saying "you might want to check if you have points that need to be banked" they found that people were still not doing it. Disney probably prefers that people bank their points, because they'd rather have you USE your points and actually show up and spend money than let them expire.

SO...they decided to send everyone e-mails saying "Hey watch out, your points are expiring", at which point everyone goes and checks. However, this is more effective at getting those that don't bother checking to do so.

I admit it can backfire and annoy people (apparently), but if this is the biggest headache your DVC membership gives you, consider yourself lucky.

The customer service person you talk to is never the person who made the bulk-email mistake (or whatever other advertising/email/etc snafu has occurred). You can let them know about it, and you can request they pass the info to their supervisor, but arguing with them about it is pointless. They didn't write the bulk email, they are probably not even in the same timezone as the person who wrote the bulk email, and they can't effect any changes regarding the bulk email.

I recently got an email saying "Thank you for your interest in adding additional points to your DVC membership". My heart fluttered for a bit and promptly called DH to accuse him of talking to Disney without me. . He insisted he had not done so. ??

I once received similar emails to yours and in regards to banking, when I in fact had nothing to bank. I double checked, and somehow my email address on my account had been changed.

This brought up 2 issues. Who was getting emails for my account? And secondly, whose account did I get emails for?

I very quickly changed my password, just in case, and reset the email address. This of course only brought up another issue with their system. When you change your email address, they send an email to the new address, but never the old address. So if by some chance you get hacked, and someone does change your email address, you'd never know. Unless you logged in. How often do you that?

As for the poor wording of the email, it drove me nuts because it states it as a fact, not a possibility. I was more concerned over the email issue and let member services know about the whole situation.

I once received similar emails to yours and in regards to banking, when I in fact had nothing to bank. I double checked, and somehow my email address on my account had been changed.

This brought up 2 issues. Who was getting emails for my account? And secondly, whose account did I get emails for?

I very quickly changed my password, just in case, and reset the email address. This of course only brought up another issue with their system. When you change your email address, they send an email to the new address, but never the old address. So if by some chance you get hacked, and someone does change your email address, you'd never know. Unless you logged in. How often do you that?

As for the poor wording of the email, it drove me nuts because it states it as a fact, not a possibility. I was more concerned over the email issue and let member services know about the whole situation.

I was going through all of our account info on the member website one day and noticed that we had someone's name listed as an associate on our account. Took a couple of days to remove him and later we were told that he was a contracted software programmer.

:earsboy: Bill

As for the poor wording of the email, it drove me nuts because it states it as a fact, not a possibility.

Glad to know it was not just me. A number of replies have indicated the "poorly worded email" was just a matter of forgetting to include in the word "IF". However, there is no way inserting that word anywhere in the email would have made the email correct. The wording that was sent out explicitly stated "As of March 1, 2015 you still have vacation points left this year"

Last edited:
We received the email, too. We had no points left to bank, but I checked anyway. I agree the wording should be changed.

Question for members with a September use year, did you just get a similar email?

I got the email today, but I didn't freak out. I thought I had used/banked all of my 14 points, so I just double checked and all was good.

I do agree that the line "as of 4/1 you still have vacation punts this year" is misleading and poorly written - could easily just tweak it to "IF you have points..." or "you MAY have points..." they probably wouldn't freak so many people out.

I know we're talking disney IT,but it should be pretty easy to pull a list of members who actually have points left remaining. Still, I'd take the poorly worded reminder over no reminder at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter