• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Updated Castaway Cay Docking Stats

Lloyd Dobler

Hey my brother, can I borrow a copy of your "Hey S
I was planning on waiting until the end of June to post 2004 Q2 stats, but there was some interest in seeing the current numbers, so here goes.

First, a point of clarification: Any percentages I list are based on the number of cruises I can account for. I'll try to clarify how many trips any numbers are based on. I'm not a statistician, so I can't tell you how reliably these numbers could project over all sailings. Any cruise dates listed are the date of embarkation, rather than the date the ship called or attempted to call at Castaway Cay. Anyway:

So far in 2004, the Magic has not missed. I have it at 23-for-23. I have now accounted for all of the Magic cruises this year.

I have the Wonder listed as 41-of-42 (97.62%). I've accounted for 42 of the 47 Wonder sailings in 2004. I don't have info for the following Wonder sailings, so if you were on one of these trips, please let me know how you fared at Castaway Cay: 1/1, 3/18, 4/15, 4/29, 6/6. (Updated to include avgeek's report of the 6/10 sailing and suzanp66's report of the 5/13 sailing). The sailing that missed this year, 2/26, was a 3-day. Someone had asked about that on another thread.

Overall in 2004, I've accounted for 90% of DCL sailings. Of these, the ships have successfully docked 98.46% of the time, or 64 of 65.

The "lifetime" stats are equally encouraging. I've been able to account for 42% (380 of 907) of the sailings. Of these, the ships were successful 96.58% of the time (364-377). The Magic has been slightly more successful (162-167, 97.01%) than the Wonder (205-213, 96.24%).

Broken down by month:

<table border><tr> <th width=20% align=center><br></th> <th width=18% align=center>Magic</th> <th width=18% align=center>Wonder</th> <th width=18% align=center>Total</th> <th width=26% align=center># of Misses</th></tr><tr> <th align=left>Jan</th> <td align=right>88%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>95%</td> <td align=center>2</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Feb</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>86%</td> <td align=right>91%</td> <td align=center>3</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Mar</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=center>0</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Apr</th> <td align=right>93%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>97%</td> <td align=center>1</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>May</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=center>0</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Jun</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=center>0</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Jul</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=center>0</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Aug</th> <td align=right>93%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>97%</td> <td align=center>1</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Sep</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>94%</td> <td align=right>97%</td> <td align=center>1</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Oct</th> <td align=right>92%</td> <td align=right>95%</td> <td align=right>94%</td> <td align=center>2</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Nov</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=center>0</td></tr><tr> <th align=left>Dec</th> <td align=right>100%</td> <td align=right>84%</td> <td align=right>90%</td> <td align=center>3</td></tr></table>
Again, the dates are based on the embarkation day, so if you boarded on October 31, but missed Castaway Cay during the first week of November, I count it as an October miss.

Most of the data is more recent, since the trip reports only go back so far, and that's where I've gotten most of the data. Let me know if you have any questions.

Lloyd Dobler - thanks for the info!! Very interesting!!

Lets just hope that November stays at 100% - that when I sail!! HA!!

Great job at putting it all in one spot!!

Lisa

Thanks for the info!

Being new to the board and not having cruised yet, I've got a question: What happens if the boat doesn't dock? Do you have an extra day at sea or do they go to a different destination? Or, by not "docking" do you mean the boat was tendered?

Thanks.

If the ship cannot dock, you'll get a day at sea. On the 4-night Wonder cruises, they can try again the next day, since that is scheduled as a day at sea. On the Magic and the 3-night cruises, you only get one chance. There are no tenders on the island, so it's either dock, or a day at sea.

Lloyd - thanks for all the stats.

JLDSMD - welcome! When the ship cannot dock at Castaway Cay you get an extra sea day. The Captain will do his best to get it docked. The ships do not tender at CC so you either dock or they leave.

Lloyd, if I'm reading your post correctly, my wife and I were on the Wonder on the 6/10/04 sailing (last thursday) and we successfully backed right up to the dock at CC.

If I've read it wrong, have a laugh on me.

-D

Or, by not "docking" do you mean the boat was tendered?
DCL doesn't have any tenders. If the ship isn't able to dock, I don't think that I would want to be tendered in - it would be a bouncy ride no doubt!

I was on the Wonder 5/13/04 sailing and we DID dock at Castaway Cay. It was such a beautiful day -- oh, how I wish I was there right now!

I was on the ship last Friday 6/11 and we successfully docked.

jrabbit-

DCL does tender. I was on the 5/22/04 Magic and we tendered into Grand Caymen. I was under the impression that this was the case all the time as there were 3 other cruise ships that were also tendering onto shore. It really wasn't bouncy though.

Disney does not tender at CC. It tenders at Grand Cayman because there is no where for it to dock at the pier. It is too big.

Originally posted by goin2disneyagain
jrabbit-

DCL does tender. I was on the 5/22/04 Magic and we tendered into Grand Caymen. I was under the impression that this was the case all the time as there were 3 other cruise ships that were also tendering onto shore. It really wasn't bouncy though.
Yep, I know that they tender at Grand Cayman as does everyone else. The harbor is full of reefs. DCL contracts with a private tender company for use on GC. Some cruise ships carry their own tenders and some use the life boats as tenders.

Sometimes we have to tender in on St. Thomas too. Never at CC.

GC is amazing. We snorkeled in front of the Magic in the harbor. We were snorkeling in 15-30 feet of water. The Magic is anchored in less than 100 feet of water and the aft of the ship is hanging out over 3,000 feet of water (or maybe they said 30,000 - what's a decimal position between friends anyway?)

Thanks for maintaining and posting this data! :bounce: I'm so glad to know that the docking rate is so high. My fingers are crossed for the September 11 Magic.:tongue:

This is wonderful to know information! Thank you for taking the time to do the statistics and posting it.

Bobbi:D

We were on the 4/15 sailing of the Wonder and were able to dock at CC - weather was sunny, but due to high wind conditions all parasailing and glass bottom boat trips were cancelled. DSs and DH were able to rent the jet skis instead, and had a wonderful time on them!:Pinkbounc

Thanks pediatric-rnp!

I'm still missing the 1/1, 3/18, 4/29, 6/6, 6/17, 6/24, 6/27, and 7/1 Wonder sailings. If anyone out there was on one of these cruises, please send me a PM and let me know if you were able to dock at Castaway Cay.

I'm up to date on the Magic, which is a perfect 26 for 26 in 2004 (knock wood!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter