• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Update on Ramp Busses?

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
I have read in past posts ( few months or so) that people were having problems with the ramp busses and the bus system in general when it comes to guests in wheelchairs. We are going in June including our 6yo DD who has CP, and I was wondering if people are still having problems. We have a wheelchair for her and would like any advice on getting around the easiest. Thanks a bunch!

Well, we'll know a little later this Spring after we get back. We rent a van, but we usually use the buses most of the time. I'll post a report when we get back.

If you are using a manual chair you will be fine. ECVs are fine. The problem is with some power chairs. For them the ramp can be too steep. Mine is one of them.

We're planning to be really brave this year and rent a power wheelchair (that is if I can get our equipment supplier to call me back with the settings for the controller on the wheelchair, so I can get everything arranged). I think that Andrew Bichard also had problems with his power wheelchair not being able to make it up the ramp. If we rent one, I'll be able to let you know how an Invacare Arrow makes out. I think that would make 3 separate brands, since I know you have a Jazzy, Lisa.

My daughters wheelchair is a manual so I hope we won't have any problems. The last time we went (Feb '01) I noticed that the bus drivers had last some of their "magic" since being there in Mar '98. We'll give it one day and if we have any run-ins with any "Grumpy's" , then we have our van to drive around in. Thanks for your info.

You won't have a problem with a manual chair getting in (especially with a 6yr old - they're pretty light to push).
The problems that people have reported have been that some of the drivers have not seemed to quite have gotten their dose of pixie dust, some of the buses having lifts that didn't work or were missing belts to secure you on, and power wheelchairs having probelsm because of how steep the ramp is to drive up when the bus is parked on a place without a curb.
Hopefully, things will be fine for you, but it is always nice to have a van as back up.
Have fun.

I sent an e-mail to member service about the bus ramp telling them it appears from my research there seems to be difficulty using the power chairs with the WDW buses and it has been said the ramps used on the buses are too steep for the power chair users. If this is true to please provide me contact information for the individuals responsible for handicapped accessibility at WDW. I will let you know what their response is.

I think Disney may have a legal responsibility under the Americans with Disabilities Act not to discriminate against power chair users. They probably adopted the ramps with good intentions but without proper research. I would like to think Disney will make the needed modifications (either longer ramps, a curb landings at all stops, special shuttle vans for power chair users, or back to the lifts or some possibilities).

You here at this board know the power chairs are medical necessities that require disability certification by a physician. A power chair is used in many cases because the user is unable to use a manual chair or an ECV/scooter. Yes, I'm pretty hacked at Disney at the moment because they took something that wasn't broken (the lifts) and fixed it (the ramps) and the net result is denying access of power chair users to the WDW bus system.

I would like to get this problem fixed. Any help or suggestions are welcomed.
Here are some links to the Department of Justice and Department of Transportation.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm
http://www.dot.gov/accessibility/index.html

I told DVC member services in my e-mail to them "It appears from my research there seems to difficulty using the power chairs with the WDW buses and the manual chair may have to be used for park visits. It has been said the ramps used on the buses are too steep for the power chair users. Is this the case? If it is please provide me contact information for the individuals responsible for handicapped accessibility at WDW. "

Their response was "95% of our buses have the capability of transporting wheelchairs. "

I don't think I got the problem with the ramps across so it replied with "Thank you for the information about the buses but I am still somewhat concerned. What percentage of the buses have lifts and what percentage have ramps? It has been said the ramps used on the buses are too steep for the power chair users IF THERE IS NO CURB. To the best of my memory the OKW stop at MGM is the only location that has a curb. See http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159660 for more information. "

I'll let you know what I find out.

KenN,

As I have said in an earlier post, I believe The solution to steep ramps is simple and inexpensive. All Disney needs to do is to obtain ramp extension sections that would extend the length of the ramps and therefor decrease their gradient. They would be used wher the stops have no curbs. The ramps could either fold up and be tucked under the seats for use when needed, or they could be kept at each of the stops where they are needed.

Here in London, many of our black cabs (which are now accessible) use this method. They have a short ramp that folds out from under the floor, good for sidewalks, plus a ramp extension piece carried in the trunk.

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter