• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Update on Earl of Sandwich

Man. I hope it's done before our trip in 75 days. We LOVED the one in Orlando DTD. Was really hoping to have it while in Disneyland this Christmas. :P

I JUST got back from DL yesterday and we walked by it daily. Looks like they still have a ways to go... they are doing landscaping right now and painting the building. I would say mid- to late-Oct is probably a better bet. They looked like they were working quickly to get it done though. Who knows though because the inside could be completely done. There were boards blocking anyone from seeing the inside.

It's really going to bring a lot more foot traffic down towards the entrance to Disneyland Hotel, which is probably needed. It's pretty dead down there right now.

Ethan

Per the caption of a picture montage link that I saw on FB this morning (I don't remember if it was from DLR or Touringplans, I was watching Felix Baumgartner ascend to jump out of a capsule at the edge of space, forgive me) they are "rushing" to get EOS open by Thanksgiving. I'll try to find it again for verification, but it seems likely.

Update: It was touringplans: http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/1...-photo-update-for-october-14-2012/#more-32920

Another update - scaffolding still up with worker bees in the courtyard, and I took this pic through a hole in the window covering. Seems like they've got a ways to go, but estimating construction isn't my area of expertise...

https://twitter.com/jlmarr1622/status/257524015256719362/photo/1/large

Based on that picture, my best guess would be mid-January at the earliest. This is providing that all of the inspections go well and the construction of the ice rink and Holiday Village nearby doesn't interfere with their construction.

Per the caption of a picture montage link that I saw on FB this morning (I don't remember if it was from DLR or Touringplans, I was watching Felix Baumgartner ascend to jump out of a capsule at the edge of space, forgive me) they are "scrambling" to get EOS open by Thanksgiving. I'll try to find it again for verification, but it seems likely.

This will most likely not happen based on that picture. Once construction is fully completed, it will take a couple of weeks for the engineers to do their punch list, then a couple of weeks to correct what was incorrectly constructed, another couple of weeks for the engineer's final punch list, then any corrections may take a few days, then a couple of weeks for the initial inspection and however long it takes to fix those items, then a couple more weeks for a final inspection. After all of that, it will then be another couple of weeks for training, then you might see some soft openings.

Now, they could pay to put a rush on inspections, pay the engineers extra to get out there, then we would be looking at about a month from the construction being completed to being able to start training. Since there are no other EOS's in California anymore, they can't simply train at another location first, without putting out a fair amount of money to fly them to Vegas, put them up in the hotel, pay for food, etc. and train them there.

So, Thanksgiving would really be pushing it, as I would say that they are at least a month away from completing construction. You can see why I would estimate mid-January based on that photo, right?

This will most likely not happen based on that picture. Once construction is fully completed, it will take a couple of weeks for the engineers to do their punch list, then a couple of weeks to correct what was incorrectly constructed, another couple of weeks for the engineer's final punch list, then any corrections may take a few days, then a couple of weeks for the initial inspection and however long it takes to fix those items, then a couple more weeks for a final inspection. After all of that, it will then be another couple of weeks for training, then you might see some soft openings.

Now, they could pay to put a rush on inspections, pay the engineers extra to get out there, then we would be looking at about a month from the construction being completed to being able to start training. Since there are no other EOS's in California anymore, they can't simply train at another location first, without putting out a fair amount of money to fly them to Vegas, put them up in the hotel, pay for food, etc. and train them there.

So, Thanksgiving would really be pushing it, as I would say that they are at least a month away from completing construction. You can see why I would estimate mid-January based on that photo, right?

Sounds like you have some experience either managing or monitoring commercial construction projects. I am in Banking so I have experience financing these types of projects as a lender. Nowadays, my job consists of approving requests to finance these types of commercial projects.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said....however... there will be tremendous pressure to get this thing open before the holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas are some of the busiest times of the year.

If enough "pressure" and/or "incentives" are applied/provided to the general contractor & subs, the project could potentially be fast tracked for a pre-Thanksgiving completion. But I would be the first to admit, it would be a lot of hard work involved. Flash enough cash, and the inspections could be quickly completed. How quickly the employees could be trained is a fair question. But it's not uncommon to do a cram training session forego the soft opening...particularly, if you have hired a few experienced managers from other EOS locations.

At the end of the day, it's one of those situations where I would not be surprised if they got the place opened prior to Thanksgiving...but it wouldn't totally surprise me if opening was pushed into next year.

Sounds like you have some experience either managing or monitoring commercial construction projects. I am in Banking so I have experience financing these types of projects as a lender. Nowadays, my job consists of approving requests to finance these types of commercial projects.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said....however... there will be tremendous pressure to get this thing open before the holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas are some of the busiest times of the year.

If enough "pressure" and/or "incentives" are applied/provided to the general contractor & subs, the project could potentially be fast tracked for a pre-Thanksgiving completion. But I would be the first to admit, it would be a lot of hard work involved. Flash enough cash, and the inspections could be quickly completed. How quickly the employees could be trained is a fair question. But it's not uncommon to do a cram training session forego the soft opening...particularly, if you have hired a few experienced managers from other EOS locations.

At the end of the day, it's one of those situations where I would not be surprised if they got the place opened prior to Thanksgiving...but it wouldn't totally surprise me if opening was pushed into next year.

Yes, you flash enough cash, you can get most things you want, especially when the cash is being flashed at a cash strapped government entity.

That being said, before Thanksgiving would surprise me, I could see early December (possibly last few days of November) with enough cash shoved at it.

Yes, you flash enough cash, you can get most things you want, especially when the cash is being flashed at a cash strapped government entity.

That being said, before Thanksgiving would surprise me, I could see early December (possibly last few days of November) with enough cash shoved at it.

It's not uncommon for retail (food or otherwise) chains to bring in experienced help for grand openings, especialy for expected high volume locations. It's also pretty common for the entire management staff being sent to other locations so they are fully trained prior to the hourly people starting, once they have occupancy. Once they have occupancy they could have the staff ready to go within 3 days.

Based on the interior photo linked just recently in this thread, if all inspections go through with out a hitch, I'd say they could have that puppy open by the first week of Nov.

Of course this is only speculation on my part. I'd love to see it open the last week of Oct because that is when I will be there. LOL

dsny1mom

It's not uncommon for retail (food or otherwise) chains to bring in experienced help for grand openings, especialy for expected high volume locations. It's also pretty common for the entire management staff being sent to other locations so they are fully trained prior to the hourly people starting, once they have occupancy. Once they have occupancy they could have the staff ready to go within 3 days.

Based on the interior photo linked just recently in this thread, if all inspections go through with out a hitch, I'd say they could have that puppy open by the first week of Nov.

Of course this is only speculation on my part. I'd love to see it open the last week of Oct because that is when I will be there. LOL

dsny1mom

I agree, the picture makes it look a mess, but it looks like the major construction is done, really. I don't see it taking more than another month. And yes, employees are often trained off site, or experienced staff brought in for major openings like this one. I have a family member who works in the retail industry and has been flown all over the western half of the country for work and training when new stores opened.

eos110983LARGE.jpg

Ok, it's an artist conception, but at least we know what they're aiming for. :thumbsup2

I was really hoping this would be open before our trip but it isn't looking good thus far :sad1:

Is that when you're coming out, TT? Maybe this time I get to see you.

I hope it opens before the end of the year!

They are officially open! Hours of operation for now will be 7 am till 11:30 pm 7 days a week. We had ressies for our meals today but plan on eating there tomorrow. The line was huge every time we passed it today. Just 15 minutes ago the line was still out the door, for a Monday that's crazy!

dsny1mom

Here now!!! Its affirmative. Earl of Sandwich was open (soft opening) today. They will be open all week with Friday being there offical opening. The line was out the door and about 15 yards long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter