• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Update on Chrysler Warranty issues/Lemon Law

lck33

DIS Veteran
Well, as promised, I just ant to update you guys as to what is going on with my Jeep with the water leak issues. A while back I posted that my car was leaking and i felt the deal er and Chrysler were giving me a run around. They had attempted to repair my car five times unsuccessfully. I asked you guys if you had any experience with the lemon law. Well, I got a call from Chrysler yesterday to go pick out a new Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge product of the same MSRP value, and they would take my car back. It is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was hoping to get a full refund, but with the bankruptcy, that more than likely will not happen, so I think this is what I will have to accept. BTW, we live in New York.

I will say that I did not end up going through the Lemon Law with the Attorney General. I just kept dealing with the service manager at the dealership I purchased it from. But this process has not been easy and has been very long.:sad2: I am glad that it will finally be coming to an end and that they are making good on this. :thumbsup2 Makes me have hope that they really do want to keep our business.

I called the sales manager today and he said that I had to pick from his current inventory of which they only have 2 cars that come close to matching what my car has and that he could not order anything from Chrysler at all at this point. So this is a little disappointing as well. Can't really get the same color, options, etc.. as what I have now. Well atleast the new one hopefully won't leak.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks.

Elsie

Call a lawyer that deals with lemon laws. I went through this a few years ago with my GM van. With the attorney I got GM to take back my van (it was leased) and I got I think around $7000 plus GM had to pay the attorney. All I had to do was provide statements to how many times I had it in for service on the same issue, the lawyer did everything else. I know laws are different in different states, but defiantly call one to see what you are entitled to under the law.

I would contact the attorney general since what they are offering you is not a fair trade at all. You should be able to get the exact vehicle you already have with all the same options or your money back to take somewhere else. With the bankruptcy, they should be eating out of your hands so that you won't sue them to get all of your money back. It won't hurt to talk with the attorney general about your case.

Talk to a lawyer. You should get exactly what you had before with every option.
This happened to my parents too and it took them a while but after getting a lawyer they got exactly what they had before.

Don't give up.

I have no experience with Lemon Laws, but it doesn't seem fair that you only have 2 choices of comparable cars. Unless you really like one of those cars, I would contact an attorney.

I'm not familiar with how the Lemon Law works, and perhaps a lawyer can indeed help you out...but a couple of things to consider.

First and foremost, the lawyer will cost YOU money. You may 'win' in terms of getting a better car, but at what cost in legal fees?

Second, with Chrysler in bankruptcy you may essentially now be a creditor...who may very well at some point (if you delay settlement of this) have to get in line with other creditors for resolution of the 'debt' they owe you. How long are you willing to drag this out?

If I were you, I'd consider taking the 'lesser' vehicle but negotiate additional items in the settlement. Ask for some free maintenance, either there or at another garage. Ask for cash-back in an amount to help make you 'whole' based on what you paid for the car and how much use you have had out of it. Ask for some gift cards for gasoline or something. Negotiating with the local dealer may be a lot easier than navigation Chrysler Corporate in resolving this.

Thanks everyone! I just talked with a law firm and they also believe with Chrysler being where they are right now in terms of bankruptcy, that it would be probable that my best outcome would be the replacement vehicle.

I am going to look at the vehicles today and see how it goes with the dealer. So far I have to say they (the dealer, rather the service manager)really has been on my side, even though some days I wasn't exactly seeing it that way. I really do appreciate his hard work in resolving this for me. Kind of refreshing. I will certainly be following him in his career! :thumbsup2 Honesty and integrity are hard to find!

I will keep you guys posted when I get back.

First and foremost, the lawyer will cost YOU money. You may 'win' in terms of getting a better car, but at what cost in legal fees?

Second, with Chrysler in bankruptcy you may essentially now be a creditor...who may very well at some point (if you delay settlement of this) have to get in line with other creditors for resolution of the 'debt' they owe you. How long are you willing to drag this out?

If I were you, I'd consider taking the 'lesser' vehicle but negotiate additional items in the settlement. Ask for some free maintenance, either there or at another garage. Ask for cash-back in an amount to help make you 'whole' based on what you paid for the car and how much use you have had out of it. Ask for some gift cards for gasoline or something. Negotiating with the local dealer may be a lot easier than navigation Chrysler Corporate in resolving this.

Like I said it may be different in different states, but I was not responsible for legal fees, GM was. It did not come out of my settlement either.

I agree with the bankruptcy, this may be the most you can get. But defiantly get legal advice as your talking about a large sum of money. Also if it falls under the lemon law I don't believe that this is the only dealership you can deal with. I think they are giving you a line of bull!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter