UPDATE: Marathon Relay Partner Thread---Relay full

I'm kinda torn on this idea! I convinced my SIL to try for the HM but she is still working up to it, and not up to pace requirements. But then.. :idea: I thought if she could get a speedy marathon relay partner that would give her a little more time cushion while still running half marathon distance. Then again that would put her getting passed by bunches of people which is at best discouraging and at worst dangerous. I tried to get toward the front of my coral last race and was nearly trampled while trying to do my run/walk. Any thoughts from other relayers?

Lullabee Sorry for the late response--been kinda crazy lately. My answer depends on what kind of person your SIL is. If she doesn't like to be pressured, then I would not do the relay. As you recognized, you don't want her to have a discouraging or pressure-packed experience.....or at least more pressure-filled beyond what it would normally be for a first half! I don't think it would be "dangerous" out there on the course. If she ran the second half, the racers would have spread out by the halfway point.

I would probably just keep an eye out for the race registration % filled and put off registering as long as possible for the half. Yes, it's slightly more expensive to wait, but it gives your SIL time to build up her endurance and speed as a runner/walker to feel that finishing a half is even plausible.

Maura

I am also interested in finding a partner for the relay.

My plan right now is to do the Half on Saturday and the Relay (hopefully) on Sunday.

I will only do the Relay though if I can find a partner to do the first leg, so that I can do the second leg.

I did my first and only Full last year and it was pretty horrific. I did finish, but was miserable from about mile 6 on. I'd love to have a chance to do the second half of the course and enjoy that part, unlike last year.

I am a mostly-walker and probably will finish around a 3:15.

Just popping in to let anyone who wants to partner know that they can A: list themselves on this thread and B:need to take the initative to contact a person and make the match.

The next price increase is July 3, so if anyone wants to beat that rise, now woulbe be a good time to start looking.

Maura

I'm kinda torn on this idea! I convinced my SIL to try for the HM but she is still working up to it, and not up to pace requirements. But then.. :idea: I thought if she could get a speedy marathon relay partner that would give her a little more time cushion while still running half marathon distance. Then again that would put her getting passed by bunches of people which is at best discouraging and at worst dangerous. I tried to get toward the front of my coral last race and was nearly trampled while trying to do my run/walk. Any thoughts from other relayers?

Lullabee Sorry for the late response--been kinda crazy lately. My answer depends on what kind of person your SIL is. If she doesn't like to be pressured, then I would not do the relay. As you recognized, you don't want her to have a discouraging or pressure-packed experience.....or at least more pressure-filled beyond what it would normally be for a first half! I don't think it would be "dangerous" out there on the course. If she ran the second half, the racers would have spread out by the halfway point.

I would probably just keep an eye out for the race registration % filled and put off registering as long as possible for the half. Yes, it's slightly more expensive to wait, but it gives your SIL time to build up her endurance and speed as a runner/walker to feel that finishing a half is even plausible.

Maura

+1 on the strategy....

I would place your SIL as runner #2 if there was any question of making it to the exchange in 3:30. You would not want to put the pressure on her to get to the point late and possibly harm the second runner's chances. So place her second and the first runner will give her some buffer.

As far as running and getting passed by folks when she starts... it's not really going to be that noticeable. The course has spread out by the exchange with the last real pinch point being the stretch just before the Poly. There will be several folks who she will pass as she heads out.

What I would not really want to do is pair her up with someone she does not know. I think that would create more pressure than running the race. Absent knowing her partner, I think I would move into the half alone and let her take a swing there. Just my thoughts on pairing with non-friends.

My plan right now is to do the Half on Saturday and the Relay (hopefully) on Sunday.

I will only do the Relay though if I can find a partner to do the first leg, so that I can do the second leg.

I did my first and only Full last year and it was pretty horrific. I did finish, but was miserable from about mile 6 on. I'd love to have a chance to do the second half of the course and enjoy that part, unlike last year.

Just sent you a PM!!

Can't imagine WANTING to pass the sewer plant while still fresh. :scared1:

Seriously though, there are some cool things in the back half that many folks miss due to going into survival mode. Hopefully this will work out.

Seriously though, there are some cool things in the back half that many folks miss due to going into survival mode. Hopefully this will work out.

I think the second half of the course is much better than the first half. The run along the golf course and over to AK is a lot more scenic than the dull slog up to MK, you hit more parks, and you get the run all the way around Epcot at the end. If they bring back the run through World Showcase in the dark at the start, that would make the first half much better.

I am trying to figure out which race or races I want to do this year at Disney. I just had a baby 7 weeks ago, so I am just getting back into running now and I have the itch to do a Disney race, so looks like I will be doing something this year. The relay sounds like fun and of course the medal would be different for my collection.

I would prefer to do the second half, but would do the first if I had to. My time would probably be around 2:30-2:45, hopefully less if I can get into good shape.

:lmao:

Actually last year I was praying to vomit at that point. I just wanted a legitimate reason to get on that sweeper bus since I was so miserable. So, this year it will be much more, umm, pleasant. :rotfl:

Tanya & I are all signed up! I even signed up for the Half before I could change my mind.

:lmao:

Actually last year I was praying to vomit at that point. I just wanted a legitimate reason to get on that sweeper bus since I was so miserable. So, this year it will be much more, umm, pleasant. :rotfl:

Tanya & I are all signed up! I even signed up for the Half before I could change my mind.

I felt so bad for the volunteers that were working there! Us runners pass through within a few moments, but they're there for quite a while. Yuck! It's all for you this time, Kristi! I just have to deal with the middle-of-the-night alarm. ;) It's OK though. :thumbsup2

I felt so bad for the volunteers that were working there! Us runners pass through within a few moments, but they're there for quite a while. Yuck! It's all for you this time, Kristi! I just have to deal with the middle-of-the-night alarm. ;) It's OK though. :thumbsup2

Actually, the olfactory nerve desensitizes to hydrogen sulfide (the smell) quickly and you never know you are there. We on the other hand have overly sensitive nerves and get a deeper dose of yuck.

Bumping up......in case anyone still wants to look for a partner. I promise to update the post.

Maura

I am interested in a partner. Probably prefer the 2nd leg as I am doing the half the day before too. My expected finish will be in the 2.5-3 range. Not quite sure how my legs and body will respond to back to back runs. Perhaps good experience for Goofy 2013

Hi -
I'm getting close to committing to the relay and I think I may have found a partner on a different running Disney thread - but I had a few questions about the relay and how it works.

Does each runner get their official race time (meaning could I look up my net race time somewhere after the race)?
Do the relayers actually pass something off between eachother?
How do they do the "hand-off"? Do they really wait until the specific relay-er finishes before they send off their teammate? How does the second team member know when they can start? Do they have to find their partner?

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking for a partner too....

I'd prefer the first half...

And so you know, I'm slow...

Anyone?

I too am wondering about the logistics before I commit to signing up with a stranger. How does the pass off work? What time will the 2nd leg runner need to be at the "hand off" area? It will really suck if the 2nd leg needs to be there at the same time and then have to wait 2-4 hours depending on the first leg runner time.
How about for packet pick-up? Would we need to do that together? Would we really need to meet at all?

Just verifying: this isn't for partners for the Wine & Dine Marathon Relay, is it?

(I'm thinking not, but you don't actually state which marathon....And I'm willing (= hoping) to find someone who wants/needs a partner for the W&D marathon relay at the beginning of October 2011.
By the time I was ready to commit, that Relay was full! Eep!

I have posted over on the W&D Half/Relay thread. If anyone's looking, send me a PM!

So I really would like to participate in the Marathon Relay this year, and possibly also do the Donald the day before. Is anyone interested in being my partner? I would prefer someone in Orlando, FL so we can meet and figure out the registration in person. I would also prefer the first leg of the race seeing as I like to run in the morning before the sun comes out! If anyone is interested please contact me :) Cant wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter