• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**UPDATE in State Dept Warnings***Mexico All-Inclusives Whaaaaaat??????

Fake news.

Um, no. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is the largest, most widely distributed newspaper in Wisconsin and is owned by Gannett Company.

Sounds like some of these folks are being drugged with Rohypnol (date rape drug). There are strips you can buy to dip into your drink that will detect if it is there. Of course, that kinds takes the fun out of staying at an all-inclusive, but better than abstaining.

"...four or five shots of tequila, and then another shot. .." That's a lot of tequila. I'm not saying they weren't poisoned but they could have just been drunk and dehydrated and jet lagged. That article is a little sensationalized, written with some generalizations; however, I've never been to any of the places in that article, so I shouldn't comment, but. ..

We've been twice, LOVE Nachi Cocum! Highly recommend! They can make money charging so little bc Mexico is a poorer, developing nation, and tourism is one of the most important industries to their economy. Why would they intentionally poison people. Doesn't make sense.

Been there twice, too, love it there, too! Was a sleepy town, now they're really trying to rebuild a lot of resorts. Would def go back.

Also, the all-inclusives they're citing in that article are not the all-inclusives you're speaking of for port excursions. These, they try to please day trippers so you come back and write good reviews, tell your friends, etc. I'm not sure what they would gain by poisoning you.

Who's to say, though. Sad stuff in that article.

I thought that about the tequila shots, too. Like I tell my sons: nothing good ever comes from doing shots. Just don't. Tequila you walk a much finer line.

Oh wow! You've been to Playa Mujeres! We were actually looking at the Secrets resort there. A different Secrets was cited in the article.

Yeah, I do NOT want this to be a thing. I don't want it to be true. I've been looking forward to a fun beach day. They did mention in the article Iberostar in Cozumel. I wasn't going to choose that one but I know they do offer day passes to cruisers. Just makes ya wonder....

Pretty crazy stuff in that article.

I've never been handed bad liquor. Or tainted liquor. I wonder if it smells or tastes different at all.

The fact they accuse Trip Advisor of being in on the conspiracy is where I write off the entire thing.
I think what Trip Advisor said they wouldn't publish is 2nd party information. "I heard this happened to a lady while I was at this resort."

I thought that about the tequila shots, too. Like I tell my sons: nothing good ever comes from doing shots. Just don't. Tequila you walk a much finer line.

Oh wow! You've been to Playa Mujeres! We were actually looking at the Secrets resort there. A different Secrets was cited in the article.

Yeah, I do NOT want this to be a thing. I don't want it to be true. I've been looking forward to a fun beach day. They did mention in the article Iberostar in Cozumel. I wasn't going to choose that one but I know they do offer day passes to cruisers. Just makes ya wonder....

Pretty crazy stuff in that article.

I've never been handed bad liquor. Or tainted liquor. I wonder if it smells or tastes different at all.
Tequila is the devil. At least for me it is. I agree with pp that said it sound like they were being drugged. Many of the victims were raped and robed.

Did you read the article? These occurrences were not at back-alley sketchy places. Secrets. Iberostar. An Iberostar in Cozumel who sells day passes. Really highly rated places! A figure of up to 40-something percent was given (not sure who collected that statistic) of alcohol is known to be sub-standard or tampered with to reduce bar costs. So essentially they're willingly poisoning people to save a buck. That's kinda scary to think about. And would make sense with the business models of the all-inclusive beach clubs. They go on to say you won't see any mention of it on Trip Advisor because Trip Advisor won't post the reviews from people who mention it. That's also alarming because I know I use that site as a research resource. Just makes me nervous. How could I know my drinks aren't okay? Not talking about water or ice. I'm talking alcohol.
Yup I did read it. My tip was in general. That incident can happen anywhere even is the US. That is why I chose to not drink outside the US unless I personally source the drink. If this happened all the time those businesses would be closed even if they were in Mexico. In my 30+ years in the area I have seen places come and go. In all the times My whole family has been there we only had one issue with a drugged out police office pinched my family for $300. That is really it...I guess I'm just luck or I'm too ugly to be a good mark.

Yup I did read it. My tip was in general. That incident can happen anywhere even is the US. That is why I chose to not drink outside the US unless I personally source the drink. If this happened all the time those businesses would be closed even if they were in Mexico. In my 30+ years in the area I have seen places come and go. In all the times My whole family has been there we only had one issue with a drugged out police office pinched my family for $300. That is really it...I guess I'm just luck or I'm too ugly to be a good mark.

I thank you for your input. Seriously. It's best to get info from locals or regulars. That's what I'm looking for.

Nothing in Latin America is third world.

Uh, Haiti. That is part of Latin America.

Dominican Republic is close to one

Quite lot of central America as well...

I'm not talking in the geopolitical sense...I'm talking about widespread poverty, lack of infrastructure, low education rates, minimal health care, lack of government support for citizens, internal conflicts, etc.

Most of Mexico is, at best, corrupt and ruled by druglords...not a Country I want to give my tourist dollars to.

Uh, Haiti. That is part of Latin America.

Dominican Republic is close to one

Quite lot of central America as well...

I'm not talking in the geopolitical sense...I'm talking about widespread poverty, lack of infrastructure, low education rates, minimal health care, lack of government support for citizens, internal conflicts, etc.

Most of Mexico is, at best, corrupt and ruled by druglords...not a Country I want to give my tourist dollars to.
Unless it's changed third world countries are those not aligned with NATO or the communist bloc. i

I'll just walk to MEGA and then Internacional Cerveceria. Local groceries and beer with bottle caps on it. Works for me.

I am not surprised. Tripadvisor refused to publish certain reviews I wanted to post and double checked certain details I posted.

Interesting. Can you give examples? I've posted for quite a few years, I'll post quite lengthy and also negative reviews, in fact an owner of an establishment private messaged me. But I've never been denied a post.

Interesting. Can you give examples? I've posted for quite a few years, I'll post quite lengthy and also negative reviews, in fact an owner of an establishment private messaged me. But I've never been denied a post.

Once I spent a day on site of a WDW hotel and used their restaurants and bars and they refused my review because I did not stay for the night.

Recently, I mentionned that I inspected my room for bed bugs and found none (it was a pretty bad hotel). They sent me a "warning" asking if I was sure that I wanted to talk about "bed bugs" and gave me a certain delay if I wanted to cancel my review.

I think they are trying to avoid being sued.

Once I spent a day on site of a WDW hotel and used their restaurants and bars and they refused my review because I did not stay for the night.

Recently, I mentionned that I inspected my room for bed bugs and found none (it was a pretty bad hotel). They sent me a "warning" asking if I was sure that I wanted to talk about "bed bugs" and gave me a certain delay if I wanted to cancel my review.

I think they are trying to avoid being sued.

That's really a shame. I really depend on the reviews there.

Reading this reminded me of the extremely scary drug Scopolamine.

That drug makes the target do whatever you tell them to do which is normally go to an ATM and withdraw all your money. And the bonus is they won't remember anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter