UPDATE in # 34..... Tell me about Wegman's Supermarket, please.

Well I grew up in Syracuse and now live in Rochester, which is the corporate headquarters of Wegmans. So I guess you could say I've been shopping at Wegmans ever since I was old enough to pick out my own free cookie in the bakery (I *think* they still give out a free cookie to all kids).

Yes - there are other stores in the area that have SOME products that are less expensive. However, NO store locally that I know of carries such a wide variety of goods, has fresher produce, meats or seafood (other than, of course 1 or 2 specialty shops, like a butcher or fishmonger, etc) or such a wide variety of services. They carry local family farm produce, locally made goods, consistently reinvest in the local economy and their employees - i.e. each store gives out annual college scholarships. Most of the larger stores have food court areas, camera shops with photo development, child care, dry cleaning, and gift areas. And if that wasn't good enough, they have customer service that really can't be beat.

Don't see a product that you want? Write a comment card and 9 times out of 10, you'll see it on they're store shelves in a few weeks. Even if you don't every comment or question will be personally answered either with an email or a phone call. I've done that with grits, a specific beverage, even a spice blend that I wanted. Last winter, I had a hankering for these tasty lamb burgers I had bought at another Wegmans across town during the summer. I spoke to the butcher, and he called the store, got the recipe and made me the burgers while I shopped. Not many places would do that for a customer...especially in winter when burgers don't sell well.

There's a reason why this company has been voted the #1 company to work for locally in Rochester for years by the business magazine here. And there's a reason why they were voted the #1 company nationally last year. If I had the opportunity, I would work for them (in my field, of course) in a heartbeat......

Is it "just" a grocery store? Yes. But it's the best darn grocery store that I've ever shopped at. (And their restaurant, Tastings, is just as amazing).

Why are some of us arguing over a grocery store? Has it really gotten that bad?

BTW-I am wishing they had this Wegman's in California-it sounds really good. Like a Trader Joe's but better. Oh well, something to look forward when I go up North someday.

When Cher was in Rochester for a concert about 2 years ago, she opened her show with these words:

Hey New York - how about opening a Wegman's in Malibu!

Apparently she had toured the Pittsford Wegmans and was blown away. You'd have to see it to believe it. When family comes to visit, I take them there so they can understand what we've been talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter