• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**UPDATE** Has this happened to any other resale buyers? Fidelity made it right!

If the cruise was booked before the contract went for ROFR, the points should have been gone already and should not have been there when the points balances were verified. If the points were still in the account when the contract went to ROFR, doesn’t that mean the cruise was booked afterwards? In any case, I think the sellers owe you however many $ per point your contract says for missing points, especially when now you have to pay the dues on them!
Correct! I mean that's the way I see it happening. Either way they screwed up either by mistake or intentionally. And yeah at this point I'd like the $25pp stipulated in the contract as I'm on the hook for the dues by January 15th. And I'd be lying if I said that I think that's going to happen easily. I just DO NOT want to get involved in a legal battle.

Correct! I mean that's the way I see it happening. Either way they screwed up either by mistake or intentionally. And yeah at this point I'd like the $25pp stipulated in the contract as I'm on the hook for the dues by January 15th. And I'd be lying if I said that I think that's going to happen easily. I just DO NOT want to get involved in a legal battle.
All I can say is I’m very sorry for all this, and Good Luck. You need to read your contract and talk to the broker and title company about enforcing that stipulation. It seems to me that someone should have verified all points were there before the contract went to closing, and the title company shouldn’t have released funds from escrow until the points were in your account.

Check this plot twist out...turns out they used the points to book a cruise! So the email from the broker wasn't overly clear. It basically said they received a response from Disney saying the points were used for a cruise and even though it was cancelled the points are now reservation points and cannot be transferred.

I have no idea why or how the cruise was cancelled. The way the email was worded makes it seem like the broker made Disney cancel the cruise on the sellers but not sure that's even a possibility. Was the cruise cancelled by the sellers before selling but that would mean the points wouldn't be in the account and wouldn't SOMEONE have had to have verified their contract? I mean can I call up Fidelity tomorrow and say I'm selling a 100000 points no need to verify trust me bro? If the cruise was cancelled by the sellers after the sale that means they still made the reservation after the sale. Very little makes any sense.

This is really terrible news. My guess would be Disney cancelled the cruise on their own and when you first talked with MS it just was not yet processed. This would fall in line with Disney's stated policy that all existing reservations are cancelled upon resale. It also would explain why the points were gone since reservation points cant be transferred. Ive never really looked into doing a cruise since its so over priced but this almost sounds like someone was on a cruise and simply rebooked for the following year. I think 150 can get a single a short cruise.

This just seems way beyond any normal situation no matter how good or bad the reputation may be of a broker. It sure seems like the points were all there when you went to ROFR and something was booked in the interim, whether intentional or not.

Given that you are now on the hook for 2024 dues the $25/point doesn't even seem like a fair market return. Do you know if the seller has any additional contracts? If they did I would almost feel as if a fairer resolution would be to transfer to you 123 or 150 points plus some type of monetary compensation for loss of the 11 month at beach club (assuming they do not own another BCV). If not then I think the seller should cover the cost of dues for this year plus pay the $20 or so price per point to give you the ability to rent this year.

All I can say is I’m very sorry for all this, and Good Luck. You need to read your contract and talk to the broker and title company about enforcing that stipulation. It seems to me that someone should have verified all points were there before the contract went to closing, and the title company shouldn’t have released funds from escrow until the points were in your account.
Do title companies release funds to the seller after the point are in the buyers account? I’ve never sold a contract so not sure how that process goes, but as a buyer I’ve never had a title company reach back to ask if/when points were loaded and if the points were correct.

Do title companies release funds to the seller after the point are in the buyers account? I’ve never sold a contract so not sure how that process goes, but as a buyer I’ve never had a title company reach back to ask if/when points were loaded and if the points were correct.
One broker did ask me to confirm once points were loaded in my membership (dvcbyresale.com), but I don’t think that had to do with when the funds were released to the buyer - just more to check everything had gone through ok and get an idea of timescales. Generally funds are sent to seller straight after closing.

Some do hold until it’s verified. Others do not. I have had it happen both ways as a seller and buyer.

One broker did ask me to confirm once points were loaded in my membership (dvcbyresale.com), but I don’t think that had to do with when the funds were released to the buyer - just more to check everything had gone through ok and get an idea of timescales. Generally funds are sent to seller straight after closing.

Some do hold until it’s verified. Others do not. I have had it happen both ways as a seller and buyer.
Interesting, learned something new. Had 4 resale contracts with 4 different brokers/3 diff title companies and never had one ask if points were loaded. This is always my fear buying resale, I’ve found some brokers willing to share screenshots of dashboards, others not.

Would it be possible to put in the purchase contract that funds will not be released until buyer verifies all points have been loaded? That would be in addition to the $$ owed to the buyer if the points were not as stated in the purchase contract.

Would it be possible to put in the purchase contract that funds will not be released until buyer verifies all points have been loaded? That would be in addition to the $$ owed to the buyer if the points were not as stated in the purchase contract.

As a seller, that would require I trust the buyer to verify. Nope. I'd consent to a third party (i.e. Disney, the closing company, the broker) verifying - but that requires that the closing company or broker have access to the contract (they don't) or Disney taking some responsibility for the process (I don't think that's likely). But I'm not waiting for my money for some stranger to admit that the points got loaded - that just opens it up for abuse on the other end.

As a seller, that would require I trust the buyer to verify. Nope. I'd consent to a third party (i.e. Disney, the closing company, the broker) verifying - but that requires that the closing company or broker have access to the contract (they don't) or Disney taking some responsibility for the process (I don't think that's likely). But I'm not waiting for my money for some stranger to admit that the points got loaded - that just opens it up for abuse on the other end.
I’ve not sold, only bought, but doesn’t the seller know when the points transfer occurs because the contract & points disappear from their membership/account?

I’ve not sold, only bought, but doesn’t the seller know when the points transfer occurs because the contract & points disappear from their membership/account?

But, based on what was proposed, you'd still have to wait for the buyer to confirm that no points are missing. What if they don't bother to confirm that with the broker or closing company? I supposed you could decide that after 30 days from deed filing everyone gets paid unless the buyer proves there's a problem, but not sure most sellers would want to wait an extra 30 days.

Well an update of sorts. Fidelity said they would book me a vacation with their points...I have no idea how a brokerage has a contract but whatever. I said no, that I had already booked my 2024 vacations. I would like the $25pp penalty listed in the contract. They got back to me today with what I was worried they would say...that they will be reaching out to the sellers to bill them. These sellers could take their time or not even pay it back at all. Meanwhile I'm out 150 points plus owing dues in three weeks. I'm not very happy about this at all! I said not only do I want the penalty but those owners that used the points should also pay the dues, just like in any contract where points are used. This is a bad situation all around and I have very little recourse except waiting and if that doesn't work out then litigation. I just wanted to use Stormalong Bay for my kid!

But, based on what was proposed, you'd still have to wait for the buyer to confirm that no points are missing. What if they don't bother to confirm that with the broker or closing company? I supposed you could decide that after 30 days from deed filing everyone gets paid unless the buyer proves there's a problem, but not sure most sellers would want to wait an extra 30 days.
In reality neither buyer nor seller need to deal with any extra waiting. The estoppel process should freeze the account and the transfer should be made much sooner than the couple of weeks it now takes. It's 2023 I think this just may be possible!

Well an update of sorts. Fidelity said they would book me a vacation with their points...I have no idea how a brokerage has a contract but whatever. I said no, that I had already booked my 2024 vacations. I would like the $25pp penalty listed in the contract. They got back to me today with what I was worried they would say...that they will be reaching out to the sellers to bill them. These sellers could take their time or not even pay it back at all. Meanwhile I'm out 150 points plus owing dues in three weeks. I'm not very happy about this at all! I said not only do I want the penalty but those owners that used the points should also pay the dues, just like in any contract where points are used. This is a bad situation all around and I have very little recourse except waiting and if that doesn't work out then litigation. I just wanted to use Stormalong Bay for my kid!
It is odd that Fidelity seem to be accepting some blame here by offering to make a booking for you, but on the other hand still think they can bill the Seller.

What a mess, I really feel bad for you and hope it all works out ok in the end. Perhaps if the Seller doesn’t pay I would take that offer if a booking (at BCV!) and bank some other points.

I believe that Fidelity is a licensed real estate brokerage. Maybe you should report them to the relevant Florida agency that oversees that license. Consider possibly reporting them to the Florida AG, maybe the BBB? What about the entity that released your funds from escrow without ensuring that you had taken possession of the property? They must be under some state oversight. You are out of some significant value in terms of dues you’ll have to pay, not to mention not having use of the points themselves.

I believe that Fidelity is a licensed real estate brokerage. Maybe you should report them to the relevant Florida agency that oversees that license. Consider possibly reporting them to the Florida AG, maybe the BBB? What about the entity that released your funds from escrow without ensuring that you had taken possession of the property? They must be under some state oversight. You are out of some significant value in terms of dues you’ll have to pay, not to mention not having use of the points themselves.
I'm going to give Fidelity a chance to make it right. As a larger brokerage they should absolutely be paying out the penalty and going after the seller. They won't. But I'd like to see if we can come up with a more amicable solution before I start down that path. Again what did I pay Fidelity and DVC Title such large fees for if they weren't going to guarantee a smooth transition. After all these years of resale there should be some safeguards installed...I would think anyway.

It never dawned on me that such a nightmare could happen.
I'm closing on my second resale contract this week, and Cammy at dvcclosings.com has stated that the seller must provide a screenshot of their points before the closing can take place. I’m still concerned about the timeframe between closing and when the points are loaded into my account.

It is odd that Fidelity seem to be accepting some blame here by offering to make a booking for you, but on the other hand still think they can bill the Seller.

What a mess, I really feel bad for you and hope it all works out ok in the end. Perhaps if the Seller doesn’t pay I would take that offer if a booking (at BCV!) and bank some other points.
What I'm wondering is if Fidelity "owns" BCV points as they said they do...why can't they transfer those points to my membership if they are willing to use those points to book me a vacation anyway? I just want the 150 points I'm out. I'll gladly pay the dues and decide what I want to do with those points at my leisure. Unless peopel here who have more experience renting can tell me if I should be booking a coveted reservation for next year and sell that instead? Which again I don't want anything except the points I legally purchased.

It never dawned on me that such a nightmare could happen.
I'm closing on my second resale contract this week, and Cammy at dvcclosings.com has stated that the seller must provide a screenshot of their points before the closing can take place. I’m still concerned about the timeframe between closing and when the points are loaded into my account.
This is definitely rare but I'll tell you what...Cammy is on my email chain with Fidelity! Ask her when that snapshot comes in. Day before closing? Day of? A week before?

I'm going to give Fidelity a chance to make it right. As a larger brokerage they should absolutely be paying out the penalty and going after the seller. They won't. But I'd like to see if we can come up with a more amicable solution before I start down that path. Again what did I pay Fidelity and DVC Title such large fees for if they weren't going to guarantee a smooth transition. After all these years of resale there should be some safeguards installed...I would think anyway.

Maybe that should be written into our contracts (ask them to amend) that if any pts should be missing, the $25 is to be paid by closing agent (or Fidelity maybe?). They will probably balk, but if they want the sale/commision, etc they will make sure the pts are there!
Most companies (and most people too), dont really care unless it affects them in some way. Like do you really think Fidelity or DVC Title 'really' cares about this? They dont.... unless they were getting "lit up" on these and other forums and it would cost them business.
I'm also in favor of some kind of BBB/AG action that specifically deals with timeshare sales in florida. Give them a jingle....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter