* Update from DHSMV * Crazy new Florida law?

pigletto said:
Thanks. I get that you don't think it's a big deal. I also don't agree with most of your assertions.. most of all the official languages point we have conveniently glossed over. I also know how long it's going to take me to get there and back to get the document from my home which is what I was referring to, and how much it will cost for BOTH my husband and I to get it, as well as the passport photos we BOTH have to get and apparently renew every year.
But thanks.:rolleyes1

I don't know about Canada, but we don't have to pay to have passport photos made, anymore. A quality digital photo printed on a photo printer and cut to the correct size does the trick. This is a good thing, since we took something like 80 pics of our infant daughter before we got a passport photo that met the guidelines.

Foreign Citizens Visiting Florida

If you will be visiting Florida and driving on a foreign driver license, as of January 1, 2013 you must have in your possession an International Driving P; http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/idp.htmlrmit (IDP) issued by your country of residence and a valid license from that country. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The IDP must be in the customer's name and from their country of residence. Again, this permit is only to be shown in conjunction with a valid driver license issued from your country, not as a substitute. You will need to contact the authorities in your country who issued your driver's license, or the motoring association there, to find out how to obtain an IDP. A listing of associations in foreign countries authorized to issue an IDP is provided for your reference, courtesy of the American Automobile Assn (AAA).

Does anyone have a link to the FL legislation/information stating a IDL is now required? The only thing I can find is at a CAA office. I have friends leaving for FL in less than a week and I don't believe they're aware of this.

I'd prefer to share the FL documents rather than those that say FL is doing this.

Thanks.

From the Statutes of the State of Florida

322.04 Persons exempt from obtaining driver license.—
(1) The following persons are exempt from obtaining a driver license:
(a) Any employee of the United States Government, while operating a noncommercial motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States Government and being operated on official business.
(b) Any person while driving or operating any road machine, farm tractor, or implement of husbandry temporarily operated or moved on a highway.
(c) A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:
1. A valid noncommercial driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the United States; or
2. An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.
(d) Any person operating a golf cart, as defined in s. 320.01, which is operated in accordance with the provisions of s. 316.212.
(2) This section does not apply to any person to whom s. 322.031 applies.
(3) Any person working for a firm under contract to the United States Government whose residence is outside this state and whose main point of employment is outside this state may drive a noncommercial vehicle on the public roads of this state for periods up to 60 days while in this state on temporary duty, if the person has a valid driver license from the state of the person’s residence.
History.—s. 16, ch. 19551, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 4151(630); s. 16, ch. 20451, 1941; s. 1, ch. 21949, 1943; s. 3, ch. 29721, 1955; s. 1, ch. 59-315; s. 1, ch. 61-124; s. 1, ch. 69-186; s. 5, ch. 78-394; s. 2, ch. 84-111; s. 45, ch. 87-198; s. 34, ch. 89-282; s. 5, ch. 91-243; s. 395, ch. 95-148; s. 32, ch. 95-333; s. 45, ch. 2012-181.

I don't believe that that is correct. This is not a visa where you might not need one for a short stay. Places that require an IDP require it if you drive, at all. People who don't want to drive in those places should simply use other transportation. Driving is not a right. It is the responsibility of the driver to know the laws and satisfy the requirements to do so.

It is for example from:http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Visitors-and-new-residents/International-drivers.aspx#whencani

Can I drive in Queensland under my valid foreign driver licence?

When driving on a road in Queensland under your valid foreign driver licence you must:
•only drive the class of motor vehicle authorised on that licence
•comply with the conditions (if any) of your licence
•show your licence to a police officer when asked to do so.

If your licence is in a language other than English, you should carry a recognised English translation of it when driving. This translation should be shown to the police officer at the same time you are required to show your licence. For a list of approved recognised translators, contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI).

mummabear said:
It is for example from:http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Visitors-and-new-residents/International-drivers.aspx#whencani

Can I drive in Queensland under my valid foreign driver licence?

When driving on a road in Queensland under your valid foreign driver licence you must:
•only drive the class of motor vehicle authorised on that licence
•comply with the conditions (if any) of your licence
•show your licence to a police officer when asked to do so.

If your licence is in a language other than English, you should carry a recognised English translation of it when driving. This translation should be shown to the police officer at the same time you are required to show your licence. For a list of approved recognised translators, contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI).

I'm not sure that you meant to reply to that post. My post was regarding someone's suggestion that IDPs aren't required if someone is only visiting for a short time.

I don't think that Canada was singled out. Florida apparently didn't have a law regarding this issue and adopted one that was simple and in keeping with the treaty that created the IDPs. That being said, given that some DLs in Canada are issued in French and most police officers in Florida likely don't read French, it would make sense not to carve out Canada from this responsibility. This is especially true given that getting an IDP is neither spendy nor onerous.

Two things wrong with this thinking. First, all Florida had to do was write the law as requiring an IDP for non-English driver's license. Nothing more than that. But requiring and Englush translation of an English document is silly. Unless of course English and American are different then I could understand the need but of course that isn't the case. Florida police can read my Ontario license as easily as a Florida one.

The second thing wrong us to assume it isn't onerous. In my case we have travel 40 miles to the nearest issuing office. And due to the highways that will take a minimum of one hour. So with the 30 minutes at the CAA office (at least) and driving I'm looking at 2.5 to 3 hrs to get the document. Not huge but yep a pain and definitely onerous. Things aren't that nearby or convenient up here.

The fact is, if the true reason is to have an English translation so the police can read it then the Florida legislature has taken the most non-sensual approach by requiring an Englush translation of Englush. Sorry that us inane and totally unthinking by the legislature. Makes one wonder what other things they don't think through fully.

Polydweller said:
Two things wrong with this thinking. First, all Florida had to do was write the law as requiring an IDP for non-English driver's license. Nothing more than that. But requiring and Englush translation of an English document is silly. Unless of course English and American are different then I could understand the need but of course that isn't the case. Florida police can read my Ontario license as easily as a Florida one.

The second thing wrong us to assume it isn't onerous. In my case we have travel 40 miles to the nearest issuing office. And due to the highways that will take a minimum of one hour. So with the 30 minutes at the CAA office (at least) and driving I'm looking at 2.5 to 3 hrs to get the document. Not huge but yep a pain and definitely onerous. Things aren't that nearby or convenient up here.

The fact is, if the true reason is to have an English translation so the police can read it then the Florida legislature has taken the most non-sensual approach by requiring an Englush translation of Englush. Sorry that us inane and totally unthinking by the legislature. Makes one wonder what other things they don't think through fully.

Given that I don't know what you mean by 'non-sensual' and Englush, I'm going to have to disagree with your first point as there apparently is a real difference in the language. Your second point shouldn't really be a concern for the Florida Legislature.

Given that I don't know what you mean by 'non-sensual' and Englush, I'm going to have to disagree with your first point.

Pick on a typo, yep, that's a valid argument. The i and u are beside each other and easy to mistype on a tablet. But the meaning is obvious I would hope.

Let's agree the English in one country is the same English in another country and there is no need to translate English to English.

I should have added to the distance issue, the distance is required not because I live in a rural area but the offices are spread out up here and getting to one can often mean lengthy travel.

Polydweller said:
Pick on a typo, yep, that's a valid argument. The i u are beside each other and easy to mistype on a tablet. But the meaning is obvious I would hope.

Let's agree the English in one country is the same English in another country and there is no need to translate English to English.

I should have added to the distance issue, the distance is required not because I live in a rural area but that offices are spread out up here and getting to one can often mean lengthy travel.

I'm not picking on a typo. You used the word 'Englush' several times in your post. Also, neither 'non-sensual' nor 'non-sensial' works in your sentence, so I was (and am) not understanding your post. Given that part of your point was that language usage is the same between the two countries, I am left to disagree with that point.

Actually I always assumed that was a basic rule anyway.

We have international passes too. They translate the info or rather give reasoning for the info in several languages. Makes perfect sense to me.

:drive:

Maddysdaddy said:
Actually Americans do not now, and have not ever, required a passport to enter into Canada (unlike Canadians coming into the US).

Sadly Canada does now require a passport. Because there were too many cases of Americans coming to Canada, then getting stuck at the US border trying to return home but unable to because they didn't have the passport that the US regs required.

So, let me get this straight? I now need to have my (already written in English) Drivers License translated into.. English.. Or I'll be fined or arrested if caught driving without one of these IDPs?

Yeesh... Nice Florida!

We'll just add this to the current list of reasons we plan on going to Disneyland instead of Disney World for the foreseeable future.

You won't be arrested (unless you become belligerent and tick off the police officer).
So, if it were me and I was Canadian and pulled over and given a ticket because I didn't have an
English translation of my English license, I would politely take the ticket, tell the officer that I understand that he's just doing his job and wish him a nice day.
Then I'd take it home and stick it in a drawer.....I wonder how much effort Florida is going to put into tracking down unpaid tickets issued to foreigners.....

You won't be arrested (unless you become belligerent and tick off the police officer).
So, if it were me and I was Canadian and pulled over and given a ticket because I didn't have an
English translation of my English license, I would politely take the ticket, tell the officer that I understand that he's just doing his job and wish him a nice day.
Then I'd take it home and stick it in a drawer.....I wonder how much effort Florida is going to put into tracking down unpaid tickets issued to foreigners.....
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...uld-i-pay-a-us-speeding-ticket/article536203/

This article lays out the consequences of not paying a traffic ticket issued in the U.S. as a Canadian. Basically, it's a big deal.
It looks like word is getting out as the new law has been on news bulletins and radio stations this morning.

Hm, I'm surprised this is new. Coming from Denmark, I have had to show an IDP every time I went to pick up our rental car :confused3

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...uld-i-pay-a-us-speeding-ticket/article536203/

This article lays out the consequences of not paying a traffic ticket issued in the U.S. as a Canadian. Basically, it's a big deal.
It looks like word is getting out as the new law has been on news bulletins and radio stations this morning.

Hmmm, just read it. I still think I'd stick it in the drawer. You can't argue it without taking time out of your vacation or traveling back to Florida at your own expense....it's a very unfair rule.
I have a completely clean driving record, so the odds of me suddenly being pulled over, not once, but twice.....just incredibly low.
And if I were pulled over.....well, I'd be very disappointed in the US postal service....:rolleyes1

Hmmm, just read it. I still think I'd stick it in the drawer. You can't argue it without taking time out of your vacation or traveling back to Florida at your own expense....it's a very unfair rule.
I have a completely clean driving record, so the odds of me suddenly being pulled over, not once, but twice.....just incredibly low.
And if I were pulled over.....well, I'd be very disappointed in the US postal service....:rolleyes1

Or you can be like my little brother and let all the notices go to your parents house and then have to apologize profusely when they get sick of it and pay it for you.:rotfl2:

His was a parking ticket though.

Thanks to those on the UK and Canadian boards for bringing this to light...

Apparently as of January 1, visitors from foreign countries will need an 'International Driving Permit' to drive in the State of Florida (whether an owned or rental vehicle). It appears that the IDP is a document which provides an English translation of the individual's own drivers license.

Wondering if any FL residents are able to provide more insight on this, as it does not appear to have been very well publicized.

And thank you to the State for making me spend $39 at my local auto club for photos and the permit, which will serve to translate my English license into... English.

Before you jump on the states, We, and I beleive Canadians as well, have had to have a IDP in many countries for years and years.

AKK

Before you jump on the states, We, and I beleive Canadians as well, have had to have a IDP in many countries for years and years.

AKK

It's not "the states", only the state of Florida. And the intent of an IDP is for the translation, which is completely unneccessary for the majority of Canadian drivers in Florida.

____

I just read this in an article:
"There are up to three-million Canadian snowbirds in Florida; however the CAA told the Toronto Star it is trying to get the state of Florida to modify or wave the law for Canadians.

The next legislative session doesn’t take place until March, and the Star reported the soonest any change could take place would be July."

Hoping they can get some movement on this. Considering tourism is Florida's biggest industry and that Canadians are the biggest consumers of this market this law would seem to be creating a big inconvenience, for no reason, for their biggest providers of tourist dollars. Not too hospitable ... kind of like biting the hand that feeds (because as many have repeatedly said this law could have easily addressed the issue of foreign language licenses without affecting drivers with English documents).

This doesn't effect me too much as my other half is a US citizen, nor do I drive. However at the same time, with exception of those who really don't speak English very well, I can see most people not even knowing this "law" exists who drive across the border and those that do, many will probably ignore it for the relatively small amount of driving done solely on WDW property. This may or may not stick. It isnt the whole country. This has both its pluses and minuses. Sucks that its more money to spend. Isn't like half of Miami from Quebec? Be an interesting story to follow next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter