Update....bad feeling about a new dentist

The office manager is the gal that gave DH an earful when he was checking out. When he expressed his dissatisfaction she told him she didn't appreciate being talked to that way and perhaps he shouldn't return.

We googled the franchise and there are a lot of complaints. I just learned that when DD6 went in for her cleaning (with DH), they too wanted to do some work on her molars because she has "grooves" on her molars and they want to put something in there to prevent cavities down the road.

I have to say, I'm 46 and have never had a cavity.

Have you called the BBB? Is the franchise owened by the dentist or is there someone else you can talk to?

I really think that if you have the estimate you can probably make them eat this $500. It was their mistake, not yours..

Would your insurance have paid if a perio had done the work?

The something they wanted to put into the grooves is a sealent. My oldest had that done, they're pushing it for my middle one (and I will do it as his teeth are horrid) but our insurance didn't pay for them and we had to go OOP.... they were about $18 each?

I'd go in tomorrow with the thing you have and see if you can't change their minds. It's def bait and switch. I'd also report them to the dental or ethics board... complaints go on their liscense in some states

I just found out there is a $25.00 fee for canceling an appointment. I wonder if that still applies when the office manager asks you not to come back for questioning her book work? :rotfl2:

I just found out there is a $25.00 fee for canceling an appointment. I wonder if that still applies when the office manager asks you not to come back for questioning her book work? :rotfl2:

I've had a LOT of problems with my insurance lately, and I can tell you this.... Nothing started happening (i.e. being paid) until I started pushing. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

That these people would work on MY mouth!

I'd try to talk to the dentist to allow him the option of waiving the charge (especially since you have a quote in hand!). If he is uncooperative, I'd probably pay what is due, never darken his doorstep again AND write a letter to both the BBB and the state dental association. I can understand a legitimate error; however, this has SCAM written all over it:scared1:

They also charged us a deductible of $50.00 each and it turns out our policy does not have a deductible.

Was not just *told* it would cost 40 bucks ($38.40 to be precise) but have a print out of the work that needed to be done with that figure.

There is a clause at the bottom that asks you to sign if the above is an estimate and if financial options have been explained to you. We were never asked to sign, nor were financial options discussed. So of course, we assumed the top portion of the page was accurate.

I would call and speak with the office manager. I'd tell her that you have spoken to your insurance company and that you KNOW you do not have a $50 deductible and you want to know why you were told this. I'd also then tell them that you were TOLD that your portion would be X amount and now it is Y and you want to know why. Then I would report them to the BBB. If she won't speak with you, ask to speak with the dentist. I'm guessing they will back down.....

I would pay the $40 that I had been told it would be and then I would report them to the insurance company. Sometimes they will intervene on your behalf.

I'd send it with a copy of the paperwork that you have accompanied by a letter explaining what you think about the situtation (with copies forwarded to the BBB, the insurance company, and the dental licensing bureau).

I'd send it with a copy of the paperwork that you have accompanied by a letter explaining what you think about the situtation (with copies forwarded to the BBB, the insurance company, and the dental licensing bureau).

I checked and they are not part of the BBB, or Chamber of Commerce. I plan to have DH pay his bill tomorrow so that we are not turned over to collections. I thought he could write on the check memerandum portion "to be disputed", and take a picture of him paying the check.

Our credit is flawless, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I think we'll take it to small claims court if it can't be settled.

I checked and they are not part of the BBB, or Chamber of Commerce. I plan to have DH pay his bill tomorrow so that we are not turned over to collections. I thought he could write on the check memerandum portion "to be disputed", and take a picture of him paying the check.

Our credit is flawless, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I think we'll take it to small claims court if it can't be settled.

If you pay in full I do believe that means you accept the charges as they are billed. I would not pay until you dispute it.

I took my girls to a dentist that billed me for things I was sure he didn't do. They were not covered by insurance and I disputed it with him. He finally sent me into collections. When the collection agent called me I told him I was disputing the bill and not to call me again. I then called the dental licensing board, state licensing department and the bbb. He was not part of the bbb either. The dental licensing board would not help me because they do not deal with a billing dispute, but the bbb dealt with it as well as the state licensing department. It was taken out of collection I never heard from them again.

If you pay in full I do believe that means you accept the charges as they are billed. I would not pay until you dispute it.

I took my girls to a dentist that billed me for things I was sure he didn't do. They were not covered by insurance and I disputed it with him. He finally sent me into collections. When the collection agent called me I told him I was disputing the bill and not to call me again. I then called the dental licensing board, state licensing department and the bbb. He was not part of the bbb either. The dental licensing board would not help me because they do not deal with a billing dispute, but the bbb dealt with it as well as the state licensing department. It was taken out of collection I never heard from them again.

I agree. This is what I would do too.

Based on the facts, there is no way they can win this. The collections isn't going to hurt your credit because it will have to be removed.

Best wishes in whatever course you take, but there's no way I would give these crooks my hard earned money (particularly when I had it in writing).

I'm thinking this is 'Aspen Dental'...am I right? If so, this is typical of this chain's billing practices and I'd RUN to a new dentist!

I'm thinking this is 'Aspen Dental'...am I right? If so, this is typical of this chain's billing practices and I'd RUN to a new dentist!

I originially thought that as well. We don't have "Aspen" but similar chains in our area that have some shady practice techniques.
As for sealants (grooves of the teeth) these are done on permanant first or second molars and if the child has deep grooves that are hard to clean these will prevent decay. If your DD is 6 are these her first molars already or are they wanting to seal deciduous teeth? These are usually covered by insurance as preventative but not always.

If you gave you any signed paperwork with the original estimates you may be able to hold them to it.

Also fight the costs because of what they told you. They advised you not to fill out the forms and then used it against you. Do not pay that bill!

When my DDs needed the sealant for their molars, our insuarance did not pay for them and i think it cost me $80 for both molars.

When my DDs needed the sealant for their molars, our insuarance did not pay for them and i think it cost me $80 for both molars.

My insurance co. never used to pay for them they only started this year. I believe they will only cover it on the permanent ones.

When I lived in Aurora, I went to him. He pulled 2 of my wisdom teeth and I went out to dinner that night. Totally painless. I credit him with changing my opinion of dentists. He was fabulous.

Thanks a lot! I will check to see if my insurance covers him.

Are you in St Louis now? I just moved here from KC. :) I totally don't miss the humidity!

Jill in CO

DD's sealant is totally covered...at least until they decide to tweak the bill. We are switching to a private practice 15 miles away. It's two dentists who are not part of a chain. I googled "bright now complaints" and it was amazing!

We have canceled our follow up appointments. I'm not sure if I can pursue recovering for the difference in their quote and what we were charged, since our coverage would have us pay the charge they ultimately had us billed for. It's just a shocker to not get a good quote though all our proper information had been provided. And I should add, it was not presented as a quote, but rather "here is what you'll have to pay". I even questioned the amount because it almost seemed too good to be true. She replied by saying, "yes, you have excellent insurance."

Thanks a lot! I will check to see if my insurance covers him.

Are you in St Louis now? I just moved here from KC. :) I totally don't miss the humidity!

Jill in CO

Yes.... we've been back in MO for about 10 years now. The lack of humidity is nice but I'll say that 100º is 100º whether there's humidity or not! ;)

DD's sealant is totally covered...at least until they decide to tweak the bill. We are switching to a private practice 15 miles away. It's two dentists who are not part of a chain. I googled "bright now complaints" and it was amazing!

We have canceled our follow up appointments. I'm not sure if I can pursue recovering for the difference in their quote and what we were charged, since our coverage would have us pay the charge they ultimately had us billed for. It's just a shocker to not get a good quote though all our proper information had been provided. And I should add, it was not presented as a quote, but rather "here is what you'll have to pay". I even questioned the amount because it almost seemed too good to be true. She replied by saying, "yes, you have excellent insurance."

So this is verbal and not in wriiting, huh? That's a bummer. I would for sure report them to the BBB in your area so other people can be warned. That stinks! It seems like my dentist always comes in over on the estimate they give me. Last Dec I thought I was going to get an $800 bill and ended up with only $500 owed after the insurance. That was a nice surprise. (I had two root canals. :scared1: TWO!)

I am a dental hygienist and I refuse to work in a corporate owned dental office for many of the reasons posted above. For most patients that have insurance, that is an HMO, many of the corporate practices take. I have never worked for a private dentist that is a member of an HMO or PPO. I have had many patients switch back to private practices after visits w/ corporate. It is a little more out of pocket for work, but I believe in the long run it may be cheaper. Less people trying to sell dentistry that is not needed. I know of workers in those practices that make bonus based on production.
I hope this didn't offend anyone just my opinion. Hope that the new dentist works out for you.

I am a dental hygienist and I refuse to work in a corporate owned dental office for many of the reasons posted above. For most patients that have insurance, that is an HMO, many of the corporate practices take. I have never worked for a private dentist that is a member of an HMO or PPO. I have had many patients switch back to private practices after visits w/ corporate. It is a little more out of pocket for work, but I believe in the long run it may be cheaper. Less people trying to sell dentistry that is not needed. I know of workers in those practices that make bonus based on production.
I hope this didn't offend anyone just my opinion. Hope that the new dentist works out for you.

I think it was Dateline that just did a story on this not long ago. That the chains basically caters to the low income/state assistance families and tell them they need all kinds of work done, especially on kids, that are really not needed. So it is also insurance/Medicaid fraud too.

OP, I would keep fighting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter