Update....bad feeling about a new dentist

IluvKingLouis

DIS Veteran
I posted a few weeks ago about going to a new dentist and being told both DH and I needed a deep cleaning. They run about 2K each but because we had such great insurance our out of pocket would be $40.00.

Well DH showed up to get half his mouth done today, and upon *leaving* was told it would be $500 today and another $500 tomorrow. He was not pleased and objected. Was told that he didn't feel out the insurance portion of the ap so the first figure was a "guess".

He didn't fill it out because he gave them his card, they photo-copied it and told him he could skip that section because they had all the necessary info.

We are fuming. I gave into going to this Dentist upon hearing that deep cleanings are common in our age group and that open exam rooms are now the norm.

But I am furious about the switch and bait. Any suggestions?

I am so sorry, that does not sound kosher to me.... We have a dentist that DH has used for years and I am new with - but adore.. never have to pay anything- except for one thing DH had done- about 70 bucks- his appt was in April and I reminded the office girl I needed to pay in June when I went... Maybe its time for another new dentist..... Good luck....

I have never heard of a "deep cleaning". What is different about it that makes it cost so much?

I worked for several years as an office manager for a dentist who was reputable, but prior to him I worked for a Dental Company and this is typical. They get you in with a cheap cleaning and xrays offer, then miraculously you "have a lot of problems". Depending upon your insurance coverage, you might need MORE work. I did not last long with them because I did not SELL like they wanted me to.

So if I were you I would threaten to go to the BBB or Dental Association.

Good luck

Deep cleaning is that our gums are receding and there could be gunk much higher up in the gum area. They give you a numbing agent, and also some antibiotic to prevent infection. I had never heard of it either but called my old Dentist who I thought was great and he said it sounded like we did need it. I'd love to go back to him but he's not in the HMO.

I was wrong about the overall cost. It's $500.00 for each of us (not $1000.00). We looked it up with our insurance, and it's true that much is not covered. I'd just like to know where they came up with the original estimate of $40.00.

I posted a few weeks ago about going to a new dentist and being told both DH and I needed a deep cleaning. They run about 2K each but because we had such great insurance our out of pocket would be $40.00.

Well DH showed up to get half his mouth done today, and upon *leaving* was told it would be $500 today and another $500 tomorrow. He was not pleased and objected. Was told that he didn't feel out the insurance portion of the ap so the first figure was a "guess".

He didn't fill it out because he gave them his card, they photo-copied it and told him he could skip that section because they had all the necessary info.

We are fuming. I gave into going to this Dentist upon hearing that deep cleanings are common in our age group and that open exam rooms are now the norm.

But I am furious about the switch and bait. Any suggestions?
Oh no! I read your original thread about this guy. So, he never pre-authorized your insurance and now expects you to pay in cash? Is he insane??!?

Oh no! I read your original thread about this guy. So, he never pre-authorized your insurance and now expects you to pay in cash? Is he insane??!?

They're being quite generous and giving us 60 days to pay. :rolleyes:

We are in a fortunate position to be able to handle unexpected bills like this, but it ticks me off that they are either so unprofessional or a bit dishonest.

They also charged us a deductible of $50.00 each and it turns out our policy does not have a deductible.

RUN to a new dentist!

When we first moved here I had a dentist that refused to do a routine cleaning unless I forked over $75 for some special mouthwash (a 1 time dose in their office) that of course my insurance wouldn't pay a dime towards. They told me I had all sorts of periodontal issues and this mouthwash would miraculously clear it up.

I took myself to a Periodontist who basically laughed and said I didn't have any of the issues they mentioned. He said places like that are a SCAM and compared them to used car salesmen. The Periodontist referred me to a different dentist who has been GREAT and hasn't mentioned any of the issues the other dentist did and hasn't tried to upsell me on any special treatments. He did recommend a stronger type of toothpaste but gave me a script for it that I filled myself at CVS.

Find a new dentist PRONTO.

Deep cleaning is that our gums are receding and there could be gunk much higher up in the gum area. They give you a numbing agent, and also some antibiotic to prevent infection. I had never heard of it either but called my old Dentist who I thought was great and he said it sounded like we did need it. I'd love to go back to him but he's not in the HMO.

I was wrong about the overall cost. It's $500.00 for each of us (not $1000.00). We looked it up with our insurance, and it's true that much is not covered. I'd just like to know where they came up with the original estimate of $40.00.

RUN to a new dentist... Try Paul Hayes in Englewood. If it wasn't a 14 hours drive, I'd still be going to him!

RUN to a new dentist... Try Paul Hayes in Englewood. If it wasn't a 14 hours drive, I'd still be going to him!

Ooh, thank you!! I'm looking for a new dentist myself and live in this area. I go to Perfect Teeth and feel like it is the assembly line of denistry. The first dentist told me that my brand new crown wasn't on tight enough and had to be replaced. Then I went back and the other dentist said the whole tooth is loose and I need a second root canal! UGH!

Jill in CO

I have a regular dentist I use for check ups and routine cleanings. He sent me to a periodontist for deep cleanings which thankfully is covered thru my insurance. Not knowing your insurance, maybe it would be covered if you went to a periodontist.

I would call and speak with the office manager. I'd tell her that you have spoken to your insurance company and that you KNOW you do not have a $50 deductible and you want to know why you were told this. I'd also then tell them that you were TOLD that your portion would be X amount and now it is Y and you want to know why. Then I would report them to the BBB. If she won't speak with you, ask to speak with the dentist. I'm guessing they will back down.....

I wouldn't pay it. The WORST they can do is send you to collections where you can write a letter explaining why you feel you do not owe it.

I would pay the $40 that I had been told it would be and then I would report them to the insurance company. Sometimes they will intervene on your behalf.

I work in a dental office and there are hundreds of different plans it seems! We normally call and at least get a verbal for the patient. Some classify perio as major and others as basic and others as preventative. Normally there is a deductible (sounds like they guessed on that) it would not ever cost $40.00 that seems way too cheap! $1000 seems really high if it's just a deep cleaning. Is it "root planing" did they say? I would not say it's a common thing but it does need to be done on some people and will prevent perio problems down the road. I worked for a dentist that was really into the soft tissue management and anything with a pocket over 4 needed a deep cleaning, I didn't last long there.
As far the the above poster stating not to pay, more than likely when you filed out your health history form you signed saying you would pay whatever was not covered by insurance.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you have an appointment tomorrow. If that's the case, I hope you're not planning to keep that appointment in light of their shady business/billing practices.

I work in a dental office and there are hundreds of different plans it seems! We normally call and at least get a verbal for the patient. Some classify perio as major and others as basic and others as preventative. Normally there is a deductible (sounds like they guessed on that) it would not ever cost $40.00 that seems way too cheap! $1000 seems really high if it's just a deep cleaning. Is it "root planing" did they say? I would not say it's a common thing but it does need to be done on some people and will prevent perio problems down the road. I worked for a dentist that was really into the soft tissue management and anything with a pocket over 4 needed a deep cleaning, I didn't last long there.
As far the the above poster stating not to pay, more than likely when you filed out your health history form you signed saying you would pay whatever was not covered by insurance.

Yes but she was told VERBALLY that what was not covered would be $40... Not "around $40" not "aprox $40" She was told everything except the deductible and $40.....

I'd fight it, but that's just me. I do feel like you were delibrately lied to, and I really hate that. I do have to say that my procedure was $3k (I'd have to go look at it, but it was close to that with the x-rays, and the after care & cleaning) so I was a little surprised that it would only cost $90 total, but she did mention she was HMO, so I assumed that it was excellent insurance

I know where you are coming from, I have went to the same dental office for over 10 years and have had yearly cleaning without to much hoop-la for all of those years. Last year the office changed hands and now they have a new dentist, all of a sudden I need a deep cleaning instead of a regular cleaning which I've always gotten and he wanted to fill two cavities that " haven't shown up on xray yet"....blah, blah blah yeah not going back!!!!

Yes but she was told VERBALLY that what was not covered would be $40... Not "around $40" not "aprox $40" She was told everything except the deductible and $40.....
she did mention she was HMO, so I assumed that it was excellent insurance

Was not just *told* it would cost 40 bucks ($38.40 to be precise) but have a print out of the work that needed to be done with that figure.

There is a clause at the bottom that asks you to sign if the above is an estimate and if financial options have been explained to you. We were never asked to sign, nor were financial options discussed. So of course, we assumed the top portion of the page was accurate.

Ooh, thank you!! I'm looking for a new dentist myself and live in this area. I go to Perfect Teeth and feel like it is the assembly line of denistry. The first dentist told me that my brand new crown wasn't on tight enough and had to be replaced. Then I went back and the other dentist said the whole tooth is loose and I need a second root canal! UGH!

Jill in CO

When I lived in Aurora, I went to him. He pulled 2 of my wisdom teeth and I went out to dinner that night. Totally painless. I credit him with changing my opinion of dentists. He was fabulous.

Was not just *told* it would cost 40 bucks ($38.40 to be precise) but have a print out of the work that needed to be done with that figure.

There is a clause at the bottom that asks you to sign if the above is an estimate and if financial options have been explained to you. We were never asked to sign, nor were financial options discussed. So of course, we assumed the top portion of the page was accurate.

Take that in, make sure you have copies of it. Did you call the office manager yet?

Take that in, make sure you have copies of it. Did you call the office manager yet?

The office manager is the gal that gave DH an earful when he was checking out. When he expressed his dissatisfaction she told him she didn't appreciate being talked to that way and perhaps he shouldn't return.

We googled the franchise and there are a lot of complaints. I just learned that when DD6 went in for her cleaning (with DH), they too wanted to do some work on her molars because she has "grooves" on her molars and they want to put something in there to prevent cavities down the road.

I have to say, I'm 46 and have never had a cavity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter