Update: Anyone use an Instant Pot See Warning Post #78

I just bought the pot last week when it was on Prime Day. I finally got it out of the box today to try and figure it out. I just did the "test" where you put water in and set it on steam with a 2 minute timer. It took 20 minutes for the timer to start. Is that normal? It doesn't seem very fast to me. Then you have to wait for the pressure to release. That 2 minute "cook" time took over half an hour and that was using the quick release. Did I do something wrong or is that typical times?

I did the test tonight in my new Instant Pot. It took about 15 mins and that is what the book said. It did seem to take longer than 'a few mins' for the steam to start coming out but overall, it seemed in line with what the book said.

I read about the test after I started cooking my whole chicken... oops!! Took me like 40 minutes from start to finish to make an entire chicken in the instant pot. I'm sold!!

I guess I should have read more of the book first. :-) I was going by the "after a few minutes" phrase. After over 10 minutes when nothing happened, I did open the lid to see if anything was going on. So I am sure I did slow down the process. I now see where it says it can take between 10-40 minutes to go through the "preheat" phase. That is just much longer than I anticipated. Now to actually cook something with it. My first test was going to be hard boiled eggs because I had read that it makes perfect eggs. After a few minutes into the test when I realized it was going to take longer than I thought, I put the eggs on the stove. They were done cooking and in the ice bath before my "test run" was completed.

I like to make pulled pork. I brown a pork roast then add seasonings, apple juice, and a couple splashes of apple cider or red wine vinegar. After it has gone through the first cycle, I will drain most of the liquid off and start shredding. Add some bbq sauce and cook it for a bit more. Another option for the pork roast is to take a sweet barbecue sauce and thin it with Orange or pineapple juice. Then I cook it in that.

It is great when I forget to take something of our the freezer. I toss in some frozen chicken breasts then add canned pineapples or mandarin oranges (with the juice) or I take sweet bbq sauce and thin it with OJ or pineapple juice.

Has anyone done Lasagna or mac and cheese? How did you make it?

Has anyone done Lasagna or mac and cheese? How did you make it?

I just made mac n cheese tonight.. Our recipe is really simple

Ingredients:
16oz elbow macaroni
4 cups water
Small can evaporated milk
2tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
8oz cheddar
8oz velvetta

Place water and macaroni in Instant pot. Cook on manual for 5 minutes. Do a quick release and switch pot to sauté. Add butter and melt. Add milk and 1/2-3/4 can evaporated milk. Place cheese in pot a little at a time to melt cheese. If it starts to get too hot, shut pot off and cheese will still melt. Thickens upon standing. I also add more cheese if I feel like it being super cheesy. It's kind of a preference.

Ingredients:
16oz elbow macaroni
4 cups water
2tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
8oz cheddar
8oz velvetta

Place water and macaroni in Instant pot. Cook on manual for 5 minutes. Do a quick release and switch pot to sauté. Add butter and melt. Add milk and 1/2-3/4 can evaporated milk. Place cheese in pot a little at a time to melt cheese. If it starts to get too hot, shut pot off and cheese will still melt. Thickens upon standing. I also add more cheese if I feel like it being super cheesy. It's kind of a preference.
Yum thanks for sharing...
Hey for those of you who did not get the price deal on the Instant Pot you are in luck. I was watching a You Tube video and noticed the Instant Pot company also make the Aicok pressure cooker which right now is just under $90.00 on Amazon!
Here is a link to the guy on YouTube I have been watching and this is how I found out about that Aicok is made by Instant Pot.

I'm going to try the mac and cheese recipe. Thanks for sharing!

I've used mine several times since I received it after the Amazon Prime sale. I love it. So far I've made chicken alfredo pasta, rice and black beans (I used dry beans and it only took 28 minutes to cook!), and sausage and rice. It's a very fast way to cook and, best of all, only one pot to clean up! Love, love, love!

I bought one on Amazon Prime day, and I used it w/ pork tenderloin. I cut two tenderloins in half, so four large chunks, poured on a bottle of bar-bq sauce, and cooked for the recommended time, I think it was about 50 minutes. I forgot to season it other than the sauce, so next time would add some salt. The tenderloins were easily shredded w/ forks and were very good, but the sauce was a little watery...I should have put in less sauce for the cooking, and just added more at the end. Has anyone tried the Chili Colorado recipe from the included recipe book or the yogurt making feature?
Thanks to the PP that posted the dad's links, I will try the turkey drumstick recipe very soon.

I'm going to try the mac and cheese recipe. Thanks for sharing!

I've used mine several times since I received it after the Amazon Prime sale. I love it. So far I've made chicken alfredo pasta, rice and black beans (I used dry beans and it only took 28 minutes to cook!), and sausage and rice. It's a very fast way to cook and, best of all, only one pot to clean up! Love, love, love!

Please share your chicken alfredo pasta and your sausage and rice recipes. :idea:

Ingredients:
16oz elbow macaroni
4 cups water
2tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
8oz cheddar
8oz velvetta

I always cook my noodles on low pressure (manual) just so they don't get too mushy. it's such a quick cooking time so it may not matter much but it is a nice option to have.

Yum thanks for sharing...
Hey for those of you who did not get the price deal on the Instant Pot you are in luck. I was watching a You Tube video and noticed the Instant Pot company also make the Aicok pressure cooker which right now is just under $90.00 on Amazon!
Here is a link to the guy on YouTube I have been watching and this is how I found out about that Aicok is made by Instant Pot.

That's awesome! When I look at instant pots on Amazon those come up and I didn't know why. Don't you just love the guy on the video? I've watched a lot of his videos and I like how much he loves the food he cooks, lol.

Yogurt in the IP:

http://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/video-how-to-make-yogurt-in-instant-pot-duo/

I'm ready to try!!! AFTER this:

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/

I have had mine for about 6 months and I don't love it. It is awesome for beans and rice. But for soups and stews I just can't build good flavors like I can on the stove-top or crock pot. Plus the time it takes before sealing and before it unlocks is a lot longer than the times other people rave about. I am definitely going to check out some of the recipe links on this thread.

Please share your chicken alfredo pasta and your sausage and rice recipes. :idea:

Sure! I am trying out the instant pot for quick meals that I can put on the table in a hurry on school nights after work. My family liked these and I enjoyed how easy they were to make.

For the chicken alfredo, I browned cubed and seasoned chicken (seasoned with salt and pepper) on the saute setting with a little olive oil. Then I put a jar and a half of Paul Newman's alfredo sauce (the jars are small in my opinion so I used more than one) and 2 cups of water. You can make your own alfredo sauce but I was in a hurry so jarred sauce was fine with me. I added one box of penne pasta. Seal the instant pot and cook on manual for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. I served it with a cucumber and tomato vinagrette salad. Easy peasy!

For the sausage and rice, I used chicken cajun sausage but any kind of sausage will do I think. I cut the sausage up into chunks and browned it with onion and garlic in olive oil on saute setting. I would have thrown in some green pepper if I had any at the time but I didn't. I added one and a half cups of rice, a pinch of dried oregano and salt, a dash of hot sauce, and 2 cups of water. Seal and cook on manual for 8 minutes. Quick release. Serve with hot sauce if you wish.

Last night, I made salsa chicken with corn and black beans. I threw frozen chicken tenders in the pot with a big (family size) jar of salsa and about two thirds of a cup of water and cooked on manual for 15 minutes. I then did a quick release and added a drained can of corn and a drained can of black beans and a cup of rice. It looked like enough liquid in the pot so I resealed the instant pot without adding more liquid and cooked for 8 more minutes on manual. Quick release. We served with cheese and shredded lettuce and tortillas.

Last edited:
I got a 6 quart Instant Pot when it was a Gold Box special on Amazon recently; $59.99 ($69.99 and got $10 more off for using Amazon Echo to order)! I used it to make pulled pork, which was done in 90 minutes. I was impressed with how easy it was to use.

That's awesome! When I look at instant pots on Amazon those come up and I didn't know why. Don't you just love the guy on the video? I've watched a lot of his videos and I like how much he loves the food he cooks, lol.

Yogurt in the IP:

http://thisoldgal.com/instant-pot-greek-yogurt/

I'm ready to try!!! AFTER this:

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/
Yes he is a hoot. All I kept saying the other day was "applesauce an pork chops" when I used his recipe.

I have a pressure xl. Is that the same thing you are talking about? I have that still not sure about using it....maybe i need some recipes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter