• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Update! 2 rooms for family trip - question on moving from one room to the other midway through trip?

cabloom

Mouseketeer
We are hosting a family trip in early December - we currently have a both a studio and a dedicated 2BR booked 12/3-11. I originally set up the reservations with my DH & I in the 2BR, plus our adult niece and nephew and their spouses, and my SIL & her DH in the studio. As plans have evolved, now DH & I will be there by ourselves until 12/6 - so I will be cancelling the first 3 days of the 2BR until everyone else starts arriving on 12/6. SIL won't arrive until 12/7.

Although we don't mind just staying in the studio for the whole trip (we normally go alone, so always stay in a studio anyway - plus, it would be easier not to move once settled), I'd REALLY like to take advantage of the chance to stay in the 2BR and put SIL in the studio once they get there, as originally planned.

If we decide to do that,

1) how would I change the names around on the reservations to show us starting out in the studio but then moving to the 2BR 3 days later? Can I have our names in both rooms at the same time?

2) Would we have to check out of the studio and then check back in to the 2BR to get our magic bands coded for the room key? If we check out of the studio and SIL doesn't check in until the next day (meaning that the room sits unoccupied for one night), they won't cancel the room reservation or anything ... will they? :scared:

3) the studio would get a "full cleaning" on the 4th day, which would be perfect timing if we do switch - assuming the sheets get changed, which I've seen conflicting reports on ... does anyone know for sure?

4) is it even worth the trouble to switch or should we just stay put in the studio and let everybody else enjoy the 2BR? I admit it, I guess I feel somewhat "entitled" to the master bedroom since we're using our points, and this opportunity won't come up often. :o

I want to get it figured out soon so that someone on the waiting list can get those 3 days, and hopefully only have to call MS one time to get everything fixed at once!

Thanks in advance for the help! :thanks:

If everyone is listed and it's just which room people are in, I wouldn't worry about it unless there is a dining plan involved. I'd just pay for a full cleaning or wash the towels & sheets in between and put them in the studio.

No dining plan. We aren't listed on the studio reservation at all right now, so I'd at least need to add us on there - right? Otherwise we won't be able to check in?

No dining plan. We aren't listed on the studio reservation at all right now, so I'd at least need to add us on there - right? Otherwise we won't be able to check in?
Yes, you will need to be on the reservation to be able to check into the studio.

The only problem that I see would be when you want to unlock the door to the 2-bedroom. Your MB won't be coded for it. This could be solved by having two of the people registered to that room ask for room keys cards. A lot of people don't like wearing MBs, so it's not an uncommon request. They could then give you the room keys to be able to come and go as you please.

You can add your name if you don't exceed the occupancy limits.

:earsboy: Bill

Normally Disney won't list you on more than one but when we had a similar situation a year or so ago, they did list the child on both reservations when they were moving from one to another mid week. I'd call and explain the situation. If they won't list you on both, just list one adult from the first group on each reservation then the 2 arriving later also on the studio.

But can she be registered in two rooms concurrently? Don't that make MDE lose its ish?

A CM will tell you it can't be done, you would just use your first initial and your last name for one of the reservations prior to MDE. Online you can put yourself in 2 rooms, same name so the software doesn't check names. The only question is what does that do to MDE?

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks everybody! I'll go ahead and call and see what they say about it. Sounds like there are workarounds, like Dean or Marionnette suggested, so we'll figure something out.

Ok - I called MS to cancel the first 3 days of the 2BR and , and explained my situation about moving. First she asked if we were doing the dining plan, and when I told her no, she said that made it easy. She added us as guests #3 & 4 in the studio, leaving SIL as the lead guest. She left us on the 2BR reservation (I am lead on that one) and said our magic bands will open both rooms. I asked if it would cause any issues with MDE and she claimed that it wouldn't. When I look at my MDE account now, it does show us in both rooms for the last 5 days. She acted like she knew exactly what she was doing, but you know how that goes.

What do y'all think? Should I call back in a few days and see what the next person tells me? I don't want to start trying to set up my fast passes and find out then that being listed in two rooms has caused a meltdown in MDE!

This is a long story that requires background info: hubby and I got married in WDW last August. We used our points to book his family into a 2 bedroom at Wilderness Lodge for 8 nights, we were booked in a regular room at Boardwalk for 9 nights. I added hubby to his parent's room so that he could stay there the night before the wedding: worked fine, no problems. Then I was able to move his family to a two bedroom double queen at Beach Club for the last 4 nights of their stay (more convenient for our Boardwalk area wedding) I added hubby on their room again (and left him in the Wilderness Lodge room because why not) I also added myself to the Beach Club reservation hoping to get a chance to use Stormalong Bay and needing to be listed on the room to do it (of course that plan fell apart and we didn't make it into the pools at all) there were no problems with both hubby and I being listed on various reservations in MDE at the same time. He ended up with 5 free MBs plus a paid one, I ended up with 4 free ones and 1 paid one too, and everything worked just fine.

TL;DR In my personal experience MDE does not care how many reservations each person is listed on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter