Upcoming changes to ABD trip insurance?

Eastridge

Mouseketeer
Today, a Vacationista told me that if I wanted to add the Disney travel insurance to a newly booked 2022 ABD trip and use the currently offered trip insurance, I need to do that by April 27. She indicated that the trip insurance terms will be changing shortly.

I asked if those were good changes or bad changes and she didn't know. But I'm guessing they might remove the "cancel for any reason" credit feature.

Does anybody else have information or speculations about this upcoming change?

I asked when the agent mentioned it. She did not have complete details but felt like the Cancel for Any Reason clause might be a separate fee in the future. She could have also just been saying that to push me to pay for it now. Hard to know.

Mine told me the same thing - it's changing on 4/27 and the new terms may not include Cancel for Any Reason. We booked Greece for Sep 2022. I am going to buy insurance, but will probably go with a 3rd party.

I booked a summer 2021 trip two weeks ago, and did not get the insurance confirmation email until I’d paid in full last week. That seems to be a change in timing as when I’d booked trips last year I think I got the insurance confirmation with the booking when the deposit was paid.

I booked a summer 2021 trip two weeks ago, and did not get the insurance confirmation email until I’d paid in full last week. That seems to be a change in timing as when I’d booked trips last year I think I got the insurance confirmation with the booking when the deposit was paid.
It's because they are changing the policy, and if you don't purchase it by that date, you can't get the current policy, you'll have to go with the new one. I'm trying to find the fb post where I saw what was changing. But I remember it was not a change for the better.

Sayhello

For those that bought the insurance or plan on doing so, can you explain why you think it’s worth it / necessary. I just booked our first ABD trip and haven’t made a decision on the insurance. I usually decline such things as my impression is that these types of policies never cover the situations you need need them to cover. But maybe ABD is different?

For those that bought the insurance or plan on doing so, can you explain why you think it’s worth it / necessary. I just booked our first ABD trip and haven’t made a decision on the insurance. I usually decline such things as my impression is that these types of policies never cover the situations you need need them to cover. But maybe ABD is different?
Well, first and foremost, most US health insurance will NOT cover you outside of the US. So if you get sick or injured while on your trip, you're probably going to wish you at least had medical coverage. The norm is for foreign countries to ask for cash payment up front if you don't have travel insurance, because they know your personal insurance won't cover it. I've used the medical coverage on my trip insurance coverage twice. Once I got a corneal abrasion while on a cruise, and it reimbursed me for 100% of the exorbitant cash fee I had to pay the ship's doctor to diagnose and treat me. I also slipped on wooden deck stairs that I was walking up at the B&B I was staying at post-Alaska ABD, and sliced my head open. I missed my flight home and had to go to the emergency room, get a CAT scan of my head, and be stapled back together. Insurance talked directly to the ER billing folks, and I never even saw the bill until after it was all paid. They also arranged for me to get the last seat on the same (supposedly sold out) flight I missed, for the next day, and paid for the change fees, got me a hotel for the night right at the airport, paid for that, and my extra meals at the hotel. So I've always felt it was worth it.

I also developed a torn rotator cuff a week before a hiking trip with another company, and the insurance paid me for the non-refundable trip and took care of my airfare. Again, totally worth it.

Whether ABD's policy is worth it or not over other policies you can buy yourself directly from insurance companies is something you'd have to research based on your age & circumstances. ABD does (for the next couple of weeks) offer "Cancel for any Reason" coverage over & above the insurance policy that will give you a future travel credit worth 75% of your non-refundable trip value if the insurance company denies your claim. They currently offer a pre-existing condition waiver also, if you buy like within the next two weeks. The policy is changing then, and we're not sure to what.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Say Hello...

Thanks for the info and OMG! I am so sorry to hear about some of your travel medical incidents.

I consider myself an avid traveler with numerous international trips - some of which were quite lengthy (many European countries, many Caribbean islands, India) and only one brief hospital visit in Prague just for my wife to get medicine for a bad sinus infection. It cost $40 cash to see the doctor and for the antibiotics.

But I guess we’ve been fortunate to not need any serious medical treatment while abroad (knock on wood). I wasn’t thinking about ABD’s insurance in regards to medical. I was just thinking about it in regards to trip cancellation / disruption. I guess I need to do more homework.

But I guess we’ve been fortunate to not need any serious medical treatment while abroad (knock on wood). I wasn’t thinking about ABD’s insurance in regards to medical. I was just thinking about it in regards to trip cancellation / disruption. I guess I need to do more homework.

Here is a link to the current AbD travel insurance Terms & Conditions so you can see what’s covered. You can also see there are other links depending on when coverage was purchased: the insurance company has changed the coverage previously in February 2018, May 2018, and April 2020.

http://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/disney/adventures

Say Hello...

Thanks for the info and OMG! I am so sorry to hear about some of your travel medical incidents.

I consider myself an avid traveler with numerous international trips - some of which were quite lengthy (many European countries, many Caribbean islands, India) and only one brief hospital visit in Prague just for my wife to get medicine for a bad sinus infection. It cost $40 cash to see the doctor and for the antibiotics.

You *can* buy Medical only trip insurance, which is much less expensive than full coverage "comprehensive" trip insurance. If you're comfortable without trip cancellation/interruption coverage, a Medical only policy would probably be your best bet. ABD does not sell a Medical only policy. They only have a comprehensive policy.

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter