Up To Date Validated Ebay Pin Lot Sellers?

Boomerdog

Mouseketeer
I have just recently learned about the suspicion that many of the lot sellers on Ebay are selling many "scrappers" and fakes. Up until now, I never knew the difference.

I don't trade with other people, I just look at all of the hotel pin books and cast member pins and store pin boards and hope to get lucky.

So, I can tell this is a touchy subject, while some think it is okay to buy the lots and others are firmly against it, but, can anyone give me an up to date list of ebay lot sellers I can trust. It looks like the list that people reference on here is from 2009 and it doesn't include the seller "DisneyFamily801" who seems to be a major seller.

It seems the ones that claim they screen for scrappers have as many negative reviews as those that just say "100% tradeable."

Are there any lot sellers on Ebay that I can buy from?

If I buy a lot, will they all be scrappers? And does that diminish from pin trading in general if I brought those suspected scrapper pins into the park?

I haven't seen an updated list in a while. The last one got pretty nasty so the OP discontinued updating it. I haven't heard of the seller your mentioned (they don't seem to have anything up at this point). Below is my caveat about eBay from a longer pin trading thread:

eBay: eBay is a popular source for pins, but it can be a tough place to buy legitimate (i.e., non-scrapper/counterfeits/fake) pins. The general rule of thumb is that you buy a "lot" of pins (e.g., 25-pins) and the price per pin is less than a couple of dollars each, you're likely buying scrappers. Also, if you buy pins that come in little baggies (instead of pin cards like the ones you see at the stores in WDW/DLR), those are more likely to be scrappers as well. My recommendation is to look for sellers that are selling pins still on their backing and/or unopened booster sets (also still on their cardboard backing wrapped in plastic). In truth, unless you only buy from Disney directly, it is hard to say whether you'll get scrappers/counterfeits/fakes or not.

If it helps at all, I will be selling my Disney pins on eBay. I haven't sold much stuff on eBay in the past (I buy from there A LOT, mostly non-Disney items) but my Disney pins are legit as they were all purchased at the park/stores (and I have been a member of disboards since 2004). If there is a particular pin you are looking for, let me know and I'll see if I have it. Otherwise, I will just post my eBay id on here once I do start posting them. I don't plan on starting to selling them (on eBay anyway) until July/August timeframe as I'm doing house renovations right now and just don't have time to post them/follow up on sales. But if there is something that someone is looking for in particular, I can let you know if I have it!

This may be a silly question, but what's a scrapper?
From my longer post about pin trading...

Scrappers, Counterfeits, and Fakes: The second issue is scrappers, counterfeits, and fakes. For some folks this matters, for others it does not. You'll need to decide which camp you are in before you get heavily into pin trading. To the average pin trader, I don't think the difference between a scraper, fake, or counterfeit really matters (because none of these are legitimate pins), but there are slight differences.
  • A scrapper is a pin that looks legitimate, but is not. It can be a factory overrun (i.e., the factory was contracted to make 1 million, but they made 1.1 million instead) or a pin that has some kind of error that should have been "scrapped".
  • A counterfeit pin is a copy of legitimate pin made by someone that was not authorized by Disney.
  • A fake is a pin design that was never authorized by Disney.
Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell what pin designs are fake unless you know a lot about pins and what designs have been released. These pins can often look like legitimate designs and may contain all of the markings (e.g., copy right) to look legitimate, but they are not. Luckily, I tend to think that outright fakes are the least common type of non-legitimate pins out there.

In terms of the scrapers/counterfeits, those are harder to distinguish the legitimate from non-legitimate. You'll often be able to tell a scrapper/counterfeit because the colors are weird/off, elements are missing or incorrect, or the back stamp (the copy right) is wrong/missing/damaged. Others say you can tell because they feel "rough" or the edges are sharp/pronounced. Sadly, there is no sure fire way to tell a scrapper/counterfeit. My guess is that it’s easier to identify the counterfeits and the scrappers that should have been “scrapped”. The factory over-runs probably look exactly like the ones shipped to Disney, so those are nearly impossible to distinguish once they’re in circulation.

It's worth noting that if you do end up trading with CM, the CM lanyards tend to be filled with scrappers, counterfeits, and (to a less extent) fakes. So if you really dislike scrappers/counterfeit, I would avoid trading with CMs. That's the crux of the argument: those that dislike scrappers/counterfeits feel they cheapen the trading and make it not worthwhile. Those that don't care, tend to say that they like the pin, so it doesn't really matter if it's a scrapper/counterfeit or not (they also say that if you can't tell, does it really matter?). Both points are valid.

Maybe I should have read up before bidding on ebay! I purchased a lot of 50 from disneyfamily801 - hoping to find some we like and some to trade. Very few that we liked, but figure for the price...maybe we can do some trading with cast members. I didn't have any issues with the seller and are happy enough with the lot - I wouldn't know what to look for if they are real or not. The 3 years old is very happy with his first lanyard full of pins!

So apparently I should of checked here before buying a lot from eBay. However, I will say that while I'm no expert the pins I received seem fine. They have no weird smell or rough edges. I've been going through pinpics to check them. I got the 50 lot from domimgood, who's on the bad list, for me and my 3 nephews to split.

image.jpg image.jpg

Without being able to actually see the pins, it's hard for anyone to say for sure if they're scrappers or not. My inclination is to say that given the prices domimgood charges for his pins, they are scrappers or at least a mixture with scrappers and fakes. I've bought from him in the past and stopped because almost all of the pins I received were scrappers; I had some to compare with and some just looked/felt wrong. Looking at your photos, the Tuesday Pluto looks suspicious (part of the paint on the "T" is missing), the color of Beaker's nose and lettering looks off (to fluorescent), and Duffy coloring is to light on the outer part of the face. In truth, you aren't going to get turned down for trades with CMs, but I do think that at least some of them are scrappers based on the photos.

If it helps at all, I will be selling my Disney pins on eBay. I haven't sold much stuff on eBay in the past (I buy from there A LOT, mostly non-Disney items) but my Disney pins are legit as they were all purchased at the park/stores (and I have been a member of disboards since 2004). If there is a particular pin you are looking for, let me know and I'll see if I have it. Otherwise, I will just post my eBay id on here once I do start posting them. I don't plan on starting to selling them (on eBay anyway) until July/August timeframe as I'm doing house renovations right now and just don't have time to post them/follow up on sales. But if there is something that someone is looking for in particular, I can let you know if I have it!
Yes Please let us know your email name

Without being able to actually see the pins, it's hard for anyone to say for sure if they're scrappers or not. My inclination is to say that given the prices domimgood charges for his pins, they are scrappers or at least a mixture with scrappers and fakes. I've bought from him in the past and stopped because almost all of the pins I received were scrappers; I had some to compare with and some just looked/felt wrong. Looking at your photos, the Tuesday Pluto looks suspicious (part of the paint on the "T" is missing), the color of Beaker's nose and lettering looks off (to fluorescent), and Duffy coloring is to light on the outer part of the face. In truth, you aren't going to get turned down for trades with CMs, but I do think that at least some of them are scrappers based on the photos.

Thanks and yeah i see it now. The pin I liked the most, the mushroom Hop Low, when compared to pinpics I can tell the color is off. Ahh well. Maybe I'll just give them to my nephews to play with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter