Unsure about Moderates

Do I pick the Pop or go with a moderate?

• Pop but don't spring for preferred, not worth it

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Pop but spring for preferred

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Coronado!

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Caribbean Beach!

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Port Orleans - French Quarter!

Votes: 41 44.1%

• Total voters

DisneysaurusRex

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board but not new to WDW! This January will be my 7th trip, which I guess isn't a lot compared to many of you here but I'm getting there! I have always stayed at the values (All Star Music, All Star Movies and Pop Century) and never really minded however I am really considering staying somewhere new this year. The trouble is my brother and I stay separately and meet up once we are there and he is staying in the Poly this year which is way out of my budget range. I like the convenience of Pop (they have their own bus, pretty close to everything, etc) but I am getting a bit tired of the same old thing. I don't spend much time at the resort however and I am wondering if the boost up to moderate would be worth it. I stay by myself and spend very little time in the room. I like being able to get up and grab a quick breakfast and head out to the parks to meet my brother. I've never booked a preferred room before but I am considering it to keep my walk to the buses and food court at a minimum. I'm just wondering if I should just suck it up and stay at Pop despite being bored by it and grab the preferred room to change it up a little bit or if there is really a big difference in staying at a moderate. I like the look of Caribbean Beach but I am turned off the by 7 internal bus stops and the need to take a bus to get to and from the check in area. I like Coronado but the preferred room would be at the top of my budget. Port Orleans - French Quarter would be at the VERY top of my budget and seems like a beautiful resort but I know it occasionally shares buses. What it comes down to me is convenience. I want to be close to the parks, close to the buses and close to the food court. I also would like a comfy bed and a decent shower. What do you guys think? Worth it to bump up to moderates just for the experience or should I stick with Pop (maybe get a preferred room) and use my extra money for shopping?

Any input for this newbie would be greatly appreciated :)

Truthfully, it does not sound like the resort is where I woudl spend my money if I traveled like you. I love the mods, POFQ is my favorite, but I use the resort as a part of my vacation stay. From your post it seems like the resort is a place to hang your hat and that's it.

No matter where you stay there will be travel deficits. Shared buses, internal stops, location and distance. With your considerations, if you looked at a Mod, I would suggest CSR. The buses are close to the buildings, although there are internal stops.

If you choose not to spend on a mod, why not visit your brother at teh Poly? You can't use the pool, but you can enjoy the grounds, shopping, beaches, and dining.

I think your best bet is the stay at the values since it sounds like you really don't take advantage of the resort and it sounds like you have not had any issues there.

If you were going to do a mod I would recommend the CSR. One thing I really like about it is it has it's own buses - so you are not sharing.
There are four bus stops around the resort - so not much of a walk to the bus stop IMO - but it can be a bit of a walk to the main building if you are not in a preferred room. I don't mind the walk, but it is a PITA if you are just going to fill a mug or grab breakfast.

I love the Port Orleans resorts myself but if you really don't spend that much time in the room and it is close to top of the budget why not change to another value? AoA or All Stars for example? Get a different theme! AoA is close to Pop isn't it. So if you didn't like the food court at AoA you could go use Pop!

you know, sometimes I think that just the idea of changing the kind of resort can make your trip more special :)

I think that POFR would be perfect! you can try something different and in the same time you have a little reort where you don't have to walk miles to go somewhere. And the grounds at POFQ are soooo beautiful!
Also CSR is really nice, rooms are beautifull, but to me it's just too big.

In my opinion, you could try for one time to pick a moderate, just to spice your trip and having something different :)

It doesn't sound like you do more than eat and sleep at your resort. If you planned on spending time at Disney Springs then I would vote POFQ. But since it seems like you wouldn't take advantage of any of the extra perks of a moderate then it doesn't seem worth it to stay at one.

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board but not new to WDW! This January will be my 7th trip, which I guess isn't a lot compared to many of you here but I'm getting there! I have always stayed at the values (All Star Music, All Star Movies and Pop Century) and never really minded however I am really considering staying somewhere new this year. The trouble is my brother and I stay separately and meet up once we are there and he is staying in the Poly this year which is way out of my budget range. I like the convenience of Pop (they have their own bus, pretty close to everything, etc) but I am getting a bit tired of the same old thing. I don't spend much time at the resort however and I am wondering if the boost up to moderate would be worth it. I stay by myself and spend very little time in the room. I like being able to get up and grab a quick breakfast and head out to the parks to meet my brother. I've never booked a preferred room before but I am considering it to keep my walk to the buses and food court at a minimum. I'm just wondering if I should just suck it up and stay at Pop despite being bored by it and grab the preferred room to change it up a little bit or if there is really a big difference in staying at a moderate. I like the look of Caribbean Beach but I am turned off the by 7 internal bus stops and the need to take a bus to get to and from the check in area. I like Coronado but the preferred room would be at the top of my budget. Port Orleans - French Quarter would be at the VERY top of my budget and seems like a beautiful resort but I know it occasionally shares buses. What it comes down to me is convenience. I want to be close to the parks, close to the buses and close to the food court. I also would like a comfy bed and a decent shower. What do you guys think? Worth it to bump up to moderates just for the experience or should I stick with Pop (maybe get a preferred room) and use my extra money for shopping?

If all that you do is eat and sleep at the resort, I see no reason to spend more $ for a moderate resort. I would suggest AoA just to change things up but the LM rooms are quite far from the food court and bus stop, plus they are hard to find availability. I vote to go with POP preferred location.

While it doesn't seem like you "need" a moderate, I voted CSR for buses, central location, and changing it up.

I'm not sure if discounts have been released for your dates yet, but CSR will be included and POFQ will not.

I think you should try everything at least once so I say spring for a moderate but go with one that is the least. While they may seem big, all have bus stops close to the villages and you can get a standard room fairly close to the FC/main pool. They all have quiet pools in the villages so that is an option too. Or, since you are staying solo, go for a split stay. Do a couple of days in a different value and then switch over to the moderate for the end of the trip. As far as distance to the parks, the value resorts might be the farthest away. http://media.disneywebcontent.com/staticfiles/dta-domestic/pdf/resortmaps/wdwresortmap.pdf

The Mods are our families goto resorts and we like all 4 of them with the PO resorts leading the way. As far as central location, they are all pretty much the same, and are not more then a few minutes difference depending on which park. I have yet to stay at a resort that I would even think of using the internal bus to get to the main lobby. At most it is a measly 10 minute walk from the farthest room, to our family that is not long at all. OP, based on how you are barely at the resort I would suggest staying at value or maybe do a split stay(if you are staying at least 5 nights). A split stay for 1 person is super easy and then it will give you an idea if the Mods are worth it to you without paying for them for the whole trip. So I voted for POP - Not preferred.

It sounds like Pop is serving your needs, but you are bored with it? I love the Pop, but POFQ is my favorite resort. You could book a standard room and still be very close to the food court and bus stop. And the bus sharing I found was only at the non-peak times, plus POFQ was picked up first. So, if you are looking for a change and can afford it, my vote is POFQ. If not, POP preferred would also be great :)

Here's my "overpriced" leaders:

1. Moderates (particularly Caribbean)
2. Contemporary
3. Grand Floridian
4. Art of Animation
5. Polyneisian
6. Wilderness Lodge

Hi everyone!

well first of all, welcome to the boards! i feel like i have a decent insight to this, even if you might not like it. a room is a room, whether you pay $750 a night, $240 a night or $85 a night. i can say when i stayed in a $750 room (which was really $400ish because I was a cast member at the time) i spent A LOT of time in my room, at the lounge and enjoying the atmosphere of the contemporary. when i stay in a moderate, i do enjoy it. i prefer staying preferred at carribean most times, but this upcoming trip i'll be returning to pofq. it's small size speaks to me, i hate sprawling resorts. now, as you've stated you spend little time in your room basically seeing it as a bed is a bed is a bed. is it worth it to you to pay more and maybe consider some downtime at the resort to enjoy the theme and amenities? do you use the pool? if you're spending a lot of time in the parks/at the poly save your money and go with pop. pop is my go to when i am planning on heavy park touring.

so basically: you like to be out in the parks, spring for the cheaper room and reward yourself with more treats :thumbsup2

A standard room at a moderate is not always a long walk. Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach have this setup where the foodcourt and pool is central. I typically try to get a room right behind that area near a bus stop (so if you draw a straight line it is bus stop on the outer edge, building with room, path past main pool, foodcourt, bus stop in front of main building). That has worked for us to cut down on the walking. As we don't care for view we can typically get a room at the back of those buildings which helps as we go straight to bus stop from room or straight to bus from food court in the morning. We do afternoon breaks so its nice to be able to head out of our room at the back of the building near the parking lot to the bus stop and have the short walk back at night when we are tired. You will be sharing a bus, but for me it typically doesn't add that much time. The time is eaten up more by loading wheelchairs, scooters, or cramming in multiple strollers which can happen anywhere as you find them at all resorts. Multiple stops does also cut down on walking and give options too. I like that the mods have a theme and nice greenery, so you do feel like you are at a resort set in another location rather than just at WDW. The other factor is the pool, we love our afternoon breaks and like having the main theme pool and the quiet pools. If you spend no time at the pool then I can see it not being worth the money for a solo trip.

A standard room at a moderate is not always a long walk. Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach have this setup where the foodcourt and pool is central. I typically try to get a room right behind that area near a bus stop (so if you draw a straight line it is bus stop on the outer edge, building with room, path past main pool, foodcourt, bus stop in front of main building). That has worked for us to cut down on the walking. As we don't care for view we can typically get a room at the back of those buildings which helps as we go straight to bus stop from room or straight to bus from food court in the morning. We do afternoon breaks so its nice to be able to head out of our room at the back of the building near the parking lot to the bus stop and have the short walk back at night when we are tired. You will be sharing a bus, but for me it typically doesn't add that much time. The time is eaten up more by loading wheelchairs, scooters, or cramming in multiple strollers which can happen anywhere as you find them at all resorts. Multiple stops does also cut down on walking and give options too. I like that the mods have a theme and nice greenery, so you do feel like you are at a resort set in another location rather than just at WDW. The other factor is the pool, we love our afternoon breaks and like having the main theme pool and the quiet pools. If you spend no time at the pool then I can see it not being worth the money for a solo trip.

Caribbean beach is MASSIVE...sprawling...

So even "preferred" rooms can be a jaunt.

If you want small/intimate...port Orleans is the choice. Coronado...while large...corrects a lot of the mistakes of Caribbean.

I have stayed at values, mods, and deluxes. I have no problem with any. Basically the rooms get bigger and the resort amenities improve as you go up the $$ scale. I always looked at it this way...with a family of four the values were fine when the kids were little, but we grew into the mods as they got older and bigger. Eventually, as mom and dad had more "me" time with more self sufficient teens, the deluxes were a treat for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter