• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unpleasant experience at HHI, we are not completing our contract now

Sammie said:
No bashing out of me, but seriously MG, do you like the decor at the VWL. I really just can not get past that couch, carpet, drapes, bedding. I have to wonder if the designer was looped. :rotfl2:
Okay, okay... You and Dean can bash the chair. :teeth:
I'll be the defender of the couch, carpet, and I LOVE the drapes! :smokin:

MG

Maistre Gracey said:

MG

Too funny. I love the drapes and the chair. But that couch and the carpet, I don't know what they were thinking :confused3 .

BeccaG said:
Since I signed up for the DIS 6 weeks ago, I have stayed away from some of the more emotionally charged posts, but this one I could not pass up. I am not a parent, I am younger (27) than many who own DVC and on the board, but I too would have been bothered if my six year old godson was refered to as an idiot. I teach high school and students are not allowed to call eachother idiots in my class. (FYI did you know idiot comes from the Greek term for a citizen who does not vote?) Calling kids idiots doesn't seem very disney and I think the OP has the right to consider calling a six year old an idiot rude.

The child was not called an idiot. Not to belabor the point, but

In his own words, he said that children will be a little scared at the beginning and maybe climb into their parent's laps, but by the end they'll understand that it was all funny, and by then they'll all "feel like idiots" for being scared.

It was a good idea to visit the dvc before you buy. Knowing what I know now, we would have bought at BCV. We purchased SSR before visiting the site.

I think the title of the tread is misleading. It mainly just isn't the OP's cup of tea, which is fine. But the title suggests something more sinister.

I'm surprised anyone would buy something like DVC without seeing it first. We stayed at Vero, went on the tour, then drove to Orlando to see OKW and BWV before we decided to purchase!

Maistre Gracey said:

MG

Actually if you notice, I left the chair out, I actually like it. None of them are bad alone its the mixture I don't get. Too much going on for my tastes.

jodifla said:
I think the title of the tread is misleading. It mainly just isn't the OP's cup of tea, which is fine. But the title suggests something more sinister.

I'm surprised anyone would buy something like DVC without seeing it first. We stayed at Vero, went on the tour, then drove to Orlando to see OKW and BWV before we decided to purchase!

I agree that the title was a bit provocative, but in comparison to some of the "NIGHTMARE" and "HORRIBLE" threads I have read, really pretty mild. In all honesty, if I had a damp room and got a complete lack of response from the resort, I probably never would have added on points at HH. I think it would have been aggravating enough to me that it may have colored my feelings about the resort as a whole. Lucky for me, I never ran into that, but I can certainly understand how she felt.

As far as buying something like DVC without seeing it first, we bought OKW in 1992 sight unseen and have never regretted it for a minute. I spent most of 1991 in bed with a tough pregnancy and then caring for a preemie, and missed my annual WDW trip. When I saw an ad in my Disney Magazine for DVC I decided it was just for me, and started the process immediately! And we all lived happily ever after :goodvibes

dznymom1 said:
I agree that the title was a bit provocative, but in comparison to some of the "NIGHTMARE" and "HORRIBLE" threads I have read, really pretty mild.

What I don't understand, is why do people start threads like this. Surely they realize, if they've spent any time at all browsing the DVC boards that posts like this will prompt strong responses. Are they trying to warn others away from the targeted resort or what? Do they just feel like they have to vent their negative feelings? Or do they just not have anyone else to share their feelings with so feel a need to share them with a group of perfect strangers?

What is even stranger to me though are folks that go to a resort like HH and find out things that have been reported here many, many times and then come back and complain about them. Like the reduced Disney themeing or not being on the beach or no restaurants on site. Do they just not do their homework? Personally, I don't go anywhere unless I've thoroughly investigated everything I can about the place.

WolfpackFan said:
What is even stranger to me though are folks that go to a resort like HH and find out things that have been reported here many, many times and then come back and complain about them. Like the reduced Disney themeing or not being on the beach or no restaurants on site. Do they just not do their homework? Personally, I don't go anywhere unless I've thoroughly investigated everything I can about the place.

I think that for many, or at least for me, there's a general feeling of "it's Disney, how could it NOT be great!" I admit I was also disappointed by HH. I had done my research, and thought I understood that it was a lot more "low key" than the other resorts, but I still found myself very bored there and wishing I was at WDW instead.

I admit, I'm not a beach person and like to be thoroughly entertained while on vacation, so clearly HH just isn't the right resort for me while it may be just perfect for others. But I know my thinking was that there was no way I could NOT love a Disney resort. Turns out I was wrong, but that's ok, there's plenty of others to enjoy!

I agree that the title was a bit provocative

Honestly? Misleading, sinister, provocative?

I thought it was quite mild, all I did was say that it was "unpleasant".

What I don't understand, is why do people start threads like this. Surely they realize, if they've spent any time at all browsing the DVC boards that posts like this will prompt strong responses. Are they trying to warn others away from the targeted resort or what? Do they just feel like they have to vent their negative feelings? Or do they just not have anyone else to share their feelings with so feel a need to share them with a group of perfect strangers?

It's a discussion forum, that's why. If we just all wanted to hear the sugary sweet description of Disney, we could just read the brochures. These are real life experiences, the good, not so good, or the bad. I did plenty of research on these boards and by the reviews I read, I thought I would really love HHI, which is why I wanted to do a resale. It happened to not be "my cup of tea" as previously mentioned, that's all. I posted my experience. I find it funny that so many others turn it into *their* personal issue.

I don't think I could have been any more diplomatic to others in my original post and several times later. I've said the resort isn't for me, but others love it. You take from these boards what you want to. I'm not trying to influence anyone to think one way or the other, my one post is not going to sway anyone that much.

I don't know if it's Disney lovers, DVC lovers, or HHI lovers, but a little thicker skin would not hurt any of you to stop feeling so threatened by my one little "unpleasant experience" post about HHI.

Geez, relax, please.

I think that for many, or at least for me, there's a general feeling of "it's Disney, how could it NOT be great!" I admit I was also disappointed by HH. I had done my research, and thought I understood that it was a lot more "low key" than the other resorts, but I still found myself very bored there and wishing I was at WDW instead.

Jynohn, you must be really brave admitting that on this thread! :)

lovemickeyworld said:
It's a discussion forum, that's why. If we just all wanted to hear the sugary sweet description of Disney, we could just read the brochures.
So basically, you're doing it as a service to others to keep them from making the same "mistake" you did. Well that is really wonderfull of you. I sure am glad I didn't see your post before we bought our HH points. We absolutely love the resort. We love the low-key theming. We love the marsh location. We even like B'lou (well Shadow actually). Our only regret is that our 150 VWL points are not HH points. But has been said there is some benefit to these type posts. If it steers some folks away from HH, it makes it easier for us that love the place to get ressies.

So basically, you're doing it as a service to others to keep them from making the same "mistake" you did. Well that is really wonderfull of you. I sure am glad I didn't see your post before we bought our HH points.

I didn't make a mistake. That's because I checked out the resort before we completed the contract.

If you're so worried that my one post would have changed your mind about your own purchase of points, I'd say that you are very easily swayed, and I'd be more worried about that than what some stranger has to say about a resort on a discussion board.

Why do people on these boards get so defensive of their 'favorite resort'?

Sheesh, the OP posted an opinion. What is wrong with that? I appreciate it when someone posts their honest opinion. If all anyone ever read was all the fabulous things about a resort, imagine the disappointment when it wasn't as wonderful to them?

Muushka said:

Sheesh, the OP posted an opinion. What is wrong with that? I appreciate it when someone posts their honest opinion. If all anyone ever read was all the fabulous things about a resort, imagine the disappointment when it wasn't as wonderful to them?

I'd guess there are a few reasons. First the emotional factor that influences people to choose one resort over another and second, there is money associated with that emotional decision.

Finally, an internet discussion forum is not exactly like sitting around a fire with hot cocoa and friends and chatting. People say things in the relative anonymity of the internet that they would never think to say face to face with someone.

Emotion + Money + Internet Discussion Board = Trainwreck

FWIW Muushka, I agree with you. I also like hearing the good, the bad and the ugly. Helps keep things in perspective. :)

Muushka said:

Well said! :thumbsup2

While I do agree with many of the OP points & disagree with a few of OP points, I find them all pertinent to a general discussion--isn't that the major purpose of the board?

No one little opinion one way or the other, will persuade/dissuade most thinking folks--all, fully fleshed out, thoughtful points of view add immeasureably to fill out a picture for that all important research.
How can folks do any research if no one reports the good, the so-so & the ugly??? :confused3

OP, & most posters, are sure to make plain it is their opinion

and I do agree, we should do the research, but how can that happen if no one contributes their experiences? I found OP's detailing to be frank & offered in a helpful, careful way & given as a personal opinion.

Personally, we love HHI, will be returning next year.

I, IMHO, did find the B'lou Crabbe thing (the 'idiot' piece) persnickety, but we don't use the words 'stupid' or 'shut up' on our family, different strokes for different folks.... I would (and have) used such things as learning experiences for young children. Believe me, we have some..er..ahem..unique relatives, making me an old hand at this sort of thing :rolleyes:
So thank you lovemickeyworld for a well thought out, & what I thought, a non-provacative posting. Please continue to post your experiences! :thumbsup2

Jean

I find posts like these helpful because I learn more about the resort. I don't really care about the poster's personal opinion, I'm looking at the descriptions of the resorts and amenities that are probably more realistic than the DVC website. Frankly, some things that posters complain about are things that I know I would like. For example-I've read complaints about SSR being too far from the parks. I know for some people that's a negative, but for me it really isn't. I like the separation, it helps me have a more relaxing vacation. I've also read complaints about HHI and VB not being "disney" enough for some. The Disney I want to see at those places is the Disney quality and hospitality-if I'm getting that, and I did at VB last year-then I'm happy. I don't need the heavy character theming away from the parks. When a poster talks about quality and hospitality issues, I'm going to pay attention because that is an issue for me and I will consider myself warned.
DVC is a big group, and we all like and dislike different things, I'd like to think that all of the trip reports and comments are intended to help each other.

WolfpackFan said:

Or...maybe it's because this is a board relating to "all things DVC"...both good and bad!! Seriously, for me reading posts like this one are part of my "research" that you are speaking of. I really like reading both the good and bad about places. I think it is very helpful to hear what other people like AND dislike about the resorts. I know myself, and if I read something like, "Well, I felt kind of isolated at ABC resort", I know myself well-enough to know that I, too would be bothered by that. However, if someone said, "Resort ABC felt too "busy" to me", I would know that resort might be right up my Disney-alley!!!

Reading others impressions, in their own HONEST words, is one of the big reasons I keep coming back to these boards.

I really appreciate the OP's post. I am sorry you do not.

WolfpackFan said:
So basically, you're doing it as a service to others to keep them from making the same "mistake" you did. Well that is really wonderfull of you. I sure am glad I didn't see your post before we bought our HH points. We absolutely love the resort. We love the low-key theming. We love the marsh location. We even like B'lou (well Shadow actually). Our only regret is that our 150 VWL points are not HH points. But has been said there is some benefit to these type posts. If it steers some folks away from HH, it makes it easier for us that love the place to get ressies.

Instead of trying to silence someone else's free speech, why don't you just post your glowing experience at HH the next time you return. I'm sure your "positive" experience will be as well-received on the boards as the OP's negative one was......hmmmm.....considering all the @&^! she got for daring to post something negative.....let's hope neither you, nor anyone in the future gets as "welcoming" a response as many of you gave her!!!

Warning: I am going to be blunt as I feel this thread warrants it. If you are overly sensitive you were warned.

The OP is entitled to her opinion. Personally I think her opinion is somewhat over emotional about the child part, unless B'lou pointed to the OP's child and said he/she is an idiot, never would I have personally took his comments to mean the OP's child. Silly might be a better word to have chose instead of idiots but nothing to warrant any upset worthy of commenting on.

The theme did not appeal to the OP, that is fine too. While sometimes I personally think that some don't get the themes and therefore critize them due to lack of grasping the theme, anyone is entitled to not like it. I don't care for the AKL, nothing wrong with the resort, the attention to detail is great, just does not appeal to me. HHI is built on a marsh therefore a fishing lodge atmosphere is most appropriate. It was not built on a beach.

But when one shares one's opinion on a public forum one must be prepared for some to agree, and some to diagree and that should be acceptable too.

You can not say the OP should be heard and then try to silence the critics, that is not fair either.

Let it first be known this is my personal opinion.

I didn't like Disney HH for the reasons similar to those of the OP. Because of those reasons, I thought it was a poor investment for my $$$. Also, I don't think Disney makes a major investment in the facility either, at least compared to their beautiful Orlando resorts, of which I am an owner.

A hearty "here here" for all of you who have supported the OP and her right to post her opinion!! I am glad that the Dis boards offer a balance perspective and there were many on this thread who disagreed or shared other opinions without being rude, and others who were not. Thanks for those who were kind for providing this new DVC owner info to get a balanced opinion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter